PDA

View Full Version : daytona fuel pump

CletusJones
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm going to be replacing the fuel pump in my daytona (87 2.5TBI) tonight and was wondering if there was anything I should watch for. Is there a specific way it has to be oriented in the tank or anything?

Any tips? It looks like if I let the rear suspension droop I could change it without dropping the tank all the way, is this possible? It's 3/4 full so if I don't have to muscle it around too much that'd be super.

Thanks guys

SwiftTech
03-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Just jack up the rear end and let the rear axle hang down. No need to drop the tank at all. The pump has a tab on it that clocks it correctly so no need to worry about that either. The only thing I would worry about is the tank being 3/4 full but you should be alright. Also make sure to replace you fuel filter and all the rubber lines with fuel injection hose and replace all the clamps too.

CletusJones
03-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Just jack up the rear end and let the rear axle hang down. No need to drop the tank at all. The pump has a tab on it that clocks it correctly so no need to worry about that either. The only thing I would worry about is the tank being 3/4 full but you should be alright. Also make sure to replace you fuel filter and all the rubber lines with fuel injection hose and replace all the clamps too.
I went to replace the filter and it appears the rubber lines going to it are too short. I can't really gain access to one of them because the tank is in the way of the clamps. If I loosen the tank straps can I drop the tank an inch or so that way?

tryingbe
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I didn't even use a jack on my 89 Daytona Shelby to change the fuel pump.

You have that much clearence.

CletusJones
03-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Sweet. I'm heading to the garage now, wish me luck.

CletusJones
03-15-2006, 11:22 PM
It took about an hour to do the job, and it was suprisingly easy. The pump that was in there was seized solid, we opened it up and it was toast. It was a Walbro pump, the previous owner told me he installed it about 10 years ago.

tryingbe
03-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Told me 45 mins to figure it out how to get it out. Took me 2 minutes to put a new pump back in.

:)

CletusJones
03-17-2006, 10:13 AM
The hardest part was removing the lock ring. It was all bent and generally crappy looking. I replaced it with a new one when I reinstalled the pump.

I noticed that the sock had worn through from contacting the bottom of the tank, has this happened to anyone else?

tryingbe
03-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Yup.

Mine was BLACK and has a big hole on the bottom.

Needless to say, it wasn't filtering out anything.

CletusJones
03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Yup.

Mine was BLACK and has a big hole on the bottom.

Needless to say, it wasn't filtering out anything.
Mine was black as well but it looked like it was supposed to be that color. It had worn the hole immediately below where the sock attached to the pump. I'd be willing to bet that pieces of the sock went up into the pump and caused the failure. The new pump has a screen in the inlet so hopefully that'll keep the chunks out of it.