PDA

View Full Version : sounds loose

whseguy
07-19-2008, 07:21 PM
the exhaust on my 85 charger sound like its loose or something but its not. i have no power in the upper rpm ranges and it hesitates real bad on take off this is the first time in like 8 years the car has been moving under its own power. the exhaust man bolts appear to be tight as well any ideas or weak spots i should know about? or anything else that i can check?

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2008, 07:51 PM
If the cat is still there, bang on it with the engine off, I bet its come apart and blocking the exhaust, either replace with a high flow unit or run some straight pipe.

whseguy
07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
ok ill try that

whseguy
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
the cat is fine the extra noise sounds like it comes from under the heat shield under the fuel rail/intake man. maybe i blew the exhaust man to turbo gasket, is there one?

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I still think your cat is plugged. Disconnect your DP and go for a drive, I bet its fixed.

whseguy
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
dp as in down pipe right? what exactly am i listening for when i hit the cat...... something loose or rattling ?

turbovanmanČ
07-21-2008, 12:49 AM
dp as in down pipe right? what exactly am i listening for when i hit the cat...... something loose or rattling ?

Yes, give it a good whack with your fist.

Yep, drop the DP or down pipe and go for a drive, it will be a bit loud but I bet you'll find your power is back and then some.

whseguy
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
ok ill try that today

whseguy
07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
ok dropped the dp went for a drive still hesitates a little, but power is back. so i cut out the cat ran straight pipe, hooked it all back up, started the car and the same exhaust leak sound is still there, loss of power again and still hesitating. doughnut gasket is ok and the bolts are tight. does this = exh man gasket or exh man to turbo gasket?

88_pacifica
07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
sounds like your turbo is seized up and the exh wheel is blocking the exhaust from escaping creating severe backpressure. Try and remove the lower intake hose and spin the turbo wheel and see if it spins freely...

whseguy
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
the turbo whines and makes power like its supposed to. plus it still has the rebuild tag on it looks brand new.

2.216VTurbo
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Cat was for sure one of your probelms, when you cut it out, was it hollow? All the substrate can get blown inot the stock chambered muffler then you still have a restriction problem. I think this was already mentioned above. Do you have a vac/boost gauge on the car? Less than 14-15" of vac at idle would point to that sort of problem and when in boost you would be able to tell a bit more about what the turbo is doing than just whine:rolleyes: In my experience, a new turbo is MOST LIKELY to fail when it is 'brand new' If it makes it past the first 1500 miles, it will go for 50X that.

whseguy
07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
wasnt hollow but definately plugged up i couldnt see any light through it at all and the screens in it looked full of stuff. i could barely force air through it.no vac/boost but i measured it my self it make 20-24in hg at idle and when i make it boost the gauge reads 12 in hg less. i was using a vac guage attached to the manifold press. source.

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
All that crap could have blown into the muffler. I would now do a proper check on timing, fuel pressure etc. When was the fuel filter last changed?

88_pacifica
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
the exhaust on my 85 charger sound like its loose or something but its not. i have no power in the upper rpm ranges and it hesitates real bad on take off this is the first time in like 8 years the car has been moving under its own power. the exhaust man bolts appear to be tight as well any ideas or weak spots i should know about? or anything else that i can check?

I re-read your original post and have a couple other questions. You say it's the first time it's moved in eight years. Did you drain the old gas and put in new? Sounds like it has bad gas in it possibly. Couple that with a stretched timing belt and possibly bad plugs, wires, cap, etc. and you have your recipe for poopiness.

Let us know a little bit more about the car and the history of it, as well as any tuneup stuff(dates, what was changed, etc) and we will be able to help further...

whseguy
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
just did timing 12* like the book says. fuel filter changed two days ago. and i have all kinds of fuel pressure. the computer tells me o2 sensor reads rich. if that means much.

2.216VTurbo
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
wasnt hollow but definately plugged up i couldnt see any light through it at all and the screens in it looked full of stuff. i could barely force air through it.no vac/boost but i measured it my self it make 20-24in hg at idle and when i make it boost the gauge reads 12 in hg less. i was using a vac guage attached to the manifold press. source.

I'm still keyed in on a restriction somewhere in the exhaust?? 24" of vac is like the max you would see if you were going down a steep hill and 'engine braking' so I'm not sure I understand how you got 20-24 at idle.

Can you unbolt at the straitpipe you put in the cat location and drive again.

Also, if your fuel tank is full of sludge from 8+years of sitting, a new fuel filter can clog up in 2 minutes, let alone 2 whole days. You mentioned you have plenty of fuel pressure, are you measuring while driving under load or while it's idleing in the driveway? Did the fuel tank get drained and inspected for goo?

Sounds like you are getting close:thumb:

whseguy
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
ok new gas fuel filter, cv joints, wheel hubs, brakes (rotors, calipers, pads , lines, master cylinder) dist. cap, rotor, hep, plugs, wires, reran all vacuums(that i had the parts for egr sys is faulty) battery, removed the air box assembly( not all the pieces were there) installed high flow spectre air filter, changed to synth. oil ,new oil filter, refillled tranny, new tires stock size orig. rims, cut out cat. ran straight pipe, adjusted shifter linkage, removed a/c, new alternator, water pump, refilled coolant, checked several things with vac guage. original owner in detroit then iowa then me. odometer says 12346 . body looks real good after sitting only rust is under back hatch and no dings in body. i hope this is enough. oh all of this done since the 19th of this month.

whseguy
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
measured while in driveway at idle and while bliping the throttle. drained yes inspected for goo no( i feel sheepish)

88_pacifica
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
what I don't understand is that it was still crappy after running a straight pipe out(bypassing the cat- still hesitates). That tells me the problem possibly lies within the motor/tranny. The muffler may be clogged contributing to the problems for sure, but if the car is running rich, then you possibly have either a fuel or spark issue. Is it possible that the fuel pump is weak?

cordes
07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
If you are getting a code for the 02 sensor being stuck rich, you need to get another one in there and try it. Is the power loss light on while this is happening? If so you will be in some sort of limp in mode which will not allow the car to make as much power or run properly.

whseguy
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
what I don't understand is that it was still crappy after running a straight pipe out(bypassing the cat- still hesitates). That tells me the problem possibly lies within the motor/tranny. The muffler may be clogged contributing to the problems for sure, but if the car is running rich, then you possibly have either a fuel or spark issue. Is it possible that the fuel pump is weak?

ok what should good fuel pressure be? i can get a pressure test kit. but if fuel press. is weak would i get a rich o2 reading?:confused:

whseguy
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
If you are getting a code for the 02 sensor being stuck rich, you need to get another one in there and try it. Is the power loss light on while this is happening? If so you will be in some sort of limp in mode which will not allow the car to make as much power or run properly.

power loss light is off. could i have blown the exhaust man gasket letting eg escape early not making it to the turbo=loud & less power?:confused2:

cordes
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
power loss light is off. could i have blown the exhaust man gasket letting eg escape early not making it to the turbo=loud & less power?:confused2:

I really don't think that you could blow out the exhaust/intake manifold gasket.

2.216VTurbo
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM

I didn't realize you had replaced so much stuff at once. It's clear to me now what the problem is, your car is in SHOCK from all the new parts:lol:

And what you do with your exhaust guy is your own business, I don't judge;)

88_pacifica
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
ok what should good fuel pressure be? i can get a pressure test kit. but if fuel press. is weak would i get a rich o2 reading?:confused:

Well, it could be a bad fuel pressure reg or injectors too. However, I would think that the symptoms for the other two would be more pronounced at all engine speeds. 55 psi at idle and it should go all the way up to almost 80+ psi at the upper rpms. When I see bad fuel pumps the pressure actually tapers off as the rpm increases.

How did you know the pressure is ok if you don't have a kit to test it and haven't yet? :confused: :confused2:

The O2 sensor should get changed anyway since you did everythign else. I would get an NGK/NTK replacement as those tend to be more "favorable" to TD's.

cordes
07-25-2008, 11:15 AM
55 psi at idle and it should go all the way up to almost 80+ psi at the upper rpms.

It is 1:1 with boost so on a stock setup, 55psi static pressure would look like about 62-63PSI at full boost regardless of RPM.

88_pacifica
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
It is 1:1 with boost so on a stock setup, 55psi static pressure would look like about 62-63PSI at full boost regardless of RPM.

Ahhh... good catch. I'm so used to people running 3 bar's I forget these things. :thumb:

whseguy
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, it could be a bad fuel pressure reg or injectors too. However, I would think that the symptoms for the other two would be more pronounced at all engine speeds. 55 psi at idle and it should go all the way up to almost 80+ psi at the upper rpms. When I see bad fuel pumps the pressure actually tapers off as the rpm increases.

How did you know the pressure is ok if you don't have a kit to test it and haven't yet? :confused: :confused2:

The O2 sensor should get changed anyway since you did everythign else. I would get an NGK/NTK replacement as those tend to be more "favorable" to TD's.

because the pump blew a pretty big hole (1/4 maybe) in the fuel hose and squirted about 15-20 feet from my car. i was way into the throttle at the time so i figured i had lots of pressure

whseguy
07-25-2008, 12:58 PM
And what you do with your exhaust guy is your own business, I don't judge;)

lol i didnt see that.:yuck:

whseguy
07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
ok everything from the donut gasket back is ok. im gonna check the exhaust manifold bolts for torque but i cant seem to get to them the book says i have to take the head, exh/int manifolds, and the turbo out as one to check them is that right?( i hope not)

whseguy
07-26-2008, 03:34 PM
can anyone concur my last post? is this the right way to go?:confused2:

whseguy
07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
hey guys got everything apart only to find previous owner had only two nuts on the exh. man to turbo studs and only one of those was halfway tight. the other was finger tight(or finger loose).

what kind of damage can occur because of this? and is there supposed to be a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo?

cordes
07-26-2008, 07:08 PM
hey guys got everything apart only to find previous owner had only two nuts on the exh. man to turbo studs and only one of those was halfway tight. the other was finger tight(or finger loose).

what kind of damage can occur because of this? and is there supposed to be a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo?

Not much in the way of damage can occur. You just might not make as much boost as easily. There is no gasket between the turbo and the manifold. Some guys will smear a thin layer of bearing grease on the flange to form a carbon seal, but it really isn't necessary.