PDA

View Full Version : Info/Sign-Up Thread: SWPA-SDAC April 22nd Event

DC Turismo
03-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Greetings all! I have created this thread to provide everyone with the general info concerning our April meeting, and also would like to use this as a sign-up sheet for supplies, munchies, and beverages, along with anything else you can think of.

To begin, this meeting, as stated in the itinerary, will be held at Heath Farquhar's house on Saturday, April 22nd. We would like to aim for a 1 o'clock start, with festivities lasting until everyone is ready to pack up and go -OR- Heath kicks us out.

We are planning on having a cookout like we did at the conclusion of last summer. We will set up the king canopy in the back yard again, and Pat should be able to borrow some tables from Cedarbrook for us to use.

One important thing that we are going to try with this meeting is to draw in as many people as we can. I REALLY want a good attendance for this meetup, not just to kick the season off to a good start, but also just to get everyone together, since our goal as a club is to gather all enthusiasts in an atmosphere such as this meetup. It'd be great to see what everyone has been up to and such as well, and maybe even meet some new faces. What I plan on doing is giving away a one-year SDAC National membership courtesy of the National club. Those in attendance are eligible for this. Whether it would go towards a brand new membership to the club, or if it were to renew your current membership, either way is perfectly fine.

ALSO: Out of my own pocket, I am willing in a ONE TIME ONLY deal for this season to give away a FREE SWPA-SDAC membership, in which case you would receive a club T as well as a decal. Shortly after, you'll receive a email with a club certificate enclosed for your convenience.

HOWEVER, THERE IS A CATCH!!! I will follow through with this IF we can get more than 22 people to attend. That was the highest attendance rating we had over the last year, and I think that if we can get that many people out for the first event, then that will be a success that's worthy enough to offer a free SWPA membership. If this works out, perhaps we will issue future challenges like this and offer incentives for your efforts.

I will have shirts and decals on hand for a. those who don't win this particular drawing but still wish to join the club or b. the drawing doesn't take place at all due to lack of attendance; but those who are there and have not joined yet can purchase a membership at that time.

We started out with a high-demand and willingness from everyone to pitch in and get t-shirts and such, but that has failed to follow through. We over a dozen t-shirts still available, and plenty of decals. These are only offered with a membership though, and are not sold separately. So, let's get some membership fees turned in to reimburse the club fund for the costs to create these great items!

On that note, allow me to draw your attention to the poll above. Names of those who vote can be seen so we know who is bringing what. If you'd like to bring an item, please check the checkbox(es). If you have further suggestions, please put up a post.

Any further questions, please get ahold of me.

Thanks, and I hope to see all of you there!

DC Turismo
03-15-2006, 01:10 AM
I'll go ahead and begin by providing a few cases of pop, a bag of plastic cups, the king canopy (and helping Heath set it and whatever else up).

Remember, once you vote you cannot vote again.

Thanks, and let me know if you feel this is a good way to go about planning for future meetings!

Note: Please keep a close eye on the selection you do make, and concur with any other individuals who also choose that option to assure you don't buy the same exact thing as them (i.e. If one person chooses to purchase chips today, and someone else does tomorrow, communicate with them to get a variety rather than 4 bags of teh same kind lol!)

85shelbycharger
03-15-2006, 01:23 AM
I voted for paper plates and napkins!

sdac guy
03-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks, and let me know if you feel this is a good way to go about planning for future meetings!Since you asked ...

Don't you guys have a mailing list/forum of your own to conduct your private business? Nearly every active chapter I know of has a private list/forum to conduct this type of business and to keep in touch with members.

My feeling is that chapter meeting schedules should be put out publicly in an easy to find place or format, but planning should be done privately.

Don't read this wrong, I am not in a twist about this, but above you did ask for thoughts on it.

Barry

DC Turismo
03-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Barry,

Actually this forum is our main form of communication. We do not have a mailing list or our own forum as of yet. I'll look in to that option, though, in the next few months as it is my goal to get us a website set up and all.

Thanks for your feedback, though. If you prefer I don't conduct this type of business here then just let me know; however, this SDAC Chapter-specific forum is unfortunately not taken advantage of all that often, so I just feel why not post this chapter-specific info here to embrace this forum that's provided to us?

sdac guy
03-15-2006, 11:30 AM
As I said, I'm not displeased at all about it being here, and you are correct that this chapter forum is underutilized at this time. You may learn over time that the more you keep your operational side of things private to your membership, the better it will be.

Many chapters do have private boards or lists. I reccommend Yahoo Groups, as it is a free service. That is where the SDAC mailing list resides, as well as the SDACGL list. There is no advertising added to the content, just a yahoo groups tagline at the end of each message.

You would have control over whether pics or other attachments are allowed or not, and whether the messages may have html in them also. We chose to have plain text with no attachments or html, which assures no ads get added to the messages.

There are folks that claim that mailing lists are "old hat" and on the way out. But I don't agree with that assessment. All the online venues have their place and value. For example, if you want to send a message to your members and be sure that they see it in a timely fashion, a mailing list does that perfectly. On a forum such as this, your members seeing your posts is hit and miss at best.

Barry

shelby83
04-15-2006, 08:24 PM
hey billy bill, jay, and I will be there but might not be there till about 2:30 they might be there at 1:00 but I have to work till 2 We are going to bring an apple pie. and I will bring along some garbage bags because I see no one voted for that either I'll back up and vote for it. see you next week Teresa

shelby83
04-15-2006, 08:26 PM
billy they won't let me vot again so just count on me for garbage bags. teresa

Frank
04-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Why dont you guys get a website off of us? In addition we can set you up a mailing list, etc.

Frank

WVRampage
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey every one what do you like to drink so I can get what you guys want.

DC Turismo
04-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Why dont you guys get a website off of us? In addition we can set you up a mailing list, etc.

Frank

Frank,
Pat and I are actually going to be talking to you about that very soon!

DC Turismo
04-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey every one what do you like to drink so I can get what you guys want.

I'd say get cola, clear pop, and water.
Dr. Pepper is always great though!!!

If you think of any othe rsupplies we may need, please post up!

85shelbycharger
04-17-2006, 08:55 PM

Frank

That's so weird that you posted that because Bill and I were just talking about this no less than a week ago! :p We'll be in touch soon.

shelby83
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
so if it rains billy is the picnic still on? or is there shelter? are u still driving shelby's? Teresa

DC Turismo
04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Show is still on for today. It is drizzly and muddy out, but we can do what we did in the past and move food into the front porch area or even the garage!

Can't wait to see everyone!