PDA

View Full Version : 318whp/313wtq

dunny
07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Just got back from TPR. Very happy with the results:

http://dunawayphotography.com/jasonmisc/dyno-flip.jpg

This was at 16 psi on a stock SRT4 turbo. Boost tapered to 13psi at redline (thus the drop in HP/TQ). Timing was conservative, AFR's in the mid 11's. Actually started the day at mid/high 12's for AFR and hit 329whp/325wtq but that was a bit too lean for me.

I'm currently blaming the drop in boost on the shitty stage 2 wastegate. I new one will be purchased soon and maybe another trip back to the dyno. I'd say I could get another 4psi out of it and hold 16-17psi to redline and pick up a nice amount of power. For now though I'm happy :D

A few videos:

http://thedarkroom.us/jason_pics/DSCN1523.AVI

http://thedarkroom.us/jason_pics/DSCN1532.AVI

Photos:

http://dunawayphotography.com/jasongallery/main.php?g2_itemId=817

The setup:

* worked SRT4 head with 2.0L cams (3 angle valve job, p&p)
* stock SRT4 turbofold with the o2 housing area opened up a bit
* SRT4 stage 2 wastegate (may go with agp version soon)
* 3" exhaust, starting at the o2 housing
* built 2.0L block with crowers/wiseco pistons
* new water pump, oil pump, timing belt (w/ mechanical tensior)
* precision 400whp intercooler
* SRT4 clutch
* SRT4 intake manifold
* 60mm jeep TB
* SRT4 stage 1 injectors
* 1:1 regulator, -6AN to and from tank, custom -6 rail
* walbro pump with custom feed mod (AN style)
* megasquirt v2.2, keeping stock ECU but controling fuel/timing with MS
* obx lsd
* lc-1 wideband

Aries_Turbo
07-19-2008, 04:42 PM
nice numbers. i guess i would have expected a little higher spool but then again its a 2.0L and not a 2.4L.

that thing has to haul! :)

Brian

dunny
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
nice numbers. i guess i would have expected a little higher spool but then again its a 2.0L and not a 2.4L.

that thing has to haul! :)

Brian

Yeah I have to sort that out. It is building boost late....it follows the HP graph pretty much perfectly so I'm not hitting 16psi until around 4500rpms. I'm a little confused about the vacuum lines and what not so there were a few that I had hooked up wrong. Also, my MBC was acting weird and would not give us anything over 16psi....and the wastegate would drop boost 3psi up top. So all things considered I was amazed with the numbers. Honestly I was going to be happy with 280whp. When I saw 329 on the first few pulls (but it was very lean so we fixed that) I didn't believe it. As this was my first trip to the dyno with a real tuner (jj07 the guy with the 10 second black r/t neon) I'm sure there will be adjustments to make and more gains to be had.

tps25pentium
07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
I love high revving engines. Nothing like keeping a car between 4500-7000rpm.. ahh..

Aries_Turbo
07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
oops.... i was supposed to type "quicker spool" but you got the point.

Brian

GLHNSLHT2
07-19-2008, 09:05 PM
2.0 or 2.4 with the itty bitty SRT turbo you should be hitting full boost by 2500rpms EASY. Nice Peak #'s but the area under the curve needs some work. Mainly/obviously boost issues.

dunny
07-19-2008, 10:26 PM
2.0 or 2.4 with the itty bitty SRT turbo you should be hitting full boost by 2500rpms EASY. Nice Peak #'s but the area under the curve needs some work. Mainly/obviously boost issues.

Exactly!

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2008, 12:05 AM
318 at 16 psi with a stock SRT turbo is nothing to sneeze at, nice work, :amen:

Weird dyno, I guess they use those if your limited for space, pretty cool, :nod:

GLHNSLHT2
07-20-2008, 12:30 AM
no, I didn't think I was sneezing at it. But the curve looks like an n/a car. Not what a turbo car should look like unless he's running a huge turbo and then bleeding off boost. But he's not. The SRT turbo is tiny and spools instantly. Think of it as the same as our Mitsu turbo but with a big wastegate to let the DOHC breathe.

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2008, 12:34 AM
no, I didn't think I was sneezing at it. But the curve looks like an n/a car. Not what a turbo car should look like unless he's running a huge turbo and then bleeding off boost. But he's not. The SRT turbo is tiny and spools instantly. Think of it as the same as our Mitsu turbo but with a big wastegate to let the DOHC breathe.

Did I say you? Not that I recall.

mario03SRT
07-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Jason,

Glad to see the car finally hit the rollers ( er..load cells). I'd like to see the afr graph. And the timing too. I would recommend a 12.5-12.8 afr until 2800-3000 then settling in at mid 11's, and revisiting (raising) the timing also down low. That will improve the spool.

Did you have the STG2 WGA arm all the way down tight?

Also change out the mbc or fix any boost leaks.

19 psi on pump with those 8.6 to 1 pistons outta be very safe.

You outta hit low 12's with 16 psi.

Marion

dunny
07-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Jason,

Glad to see the car finally hit the rollers ( er..load cells). I'd like to see the afr graph. And the timing too. I would recommend a 12.5-12.8 afr until 2800-3000 then settling in at mid 11's, and revisiting (raising) the timing also down low. That will improve the spool.

Did you have the STG2 WGA arm all the way down tight?

Also change out the mbc or fix any boost leaks.

19 psi on pump with those 8.6 to 1 pistons outta be very safe.

You outta hit low 12's with 16 psi.

Marion

I will have to get with Rob from TPR to see what other graphs I can get. Jon did lean it out a bit under 3k and also I think he raised the timing too. I know that what I posted is better than what we started out with. We ran out of time and I didn't want to spend any more $$$ until I sorted out the issues. For how it sits I was happy and now it runs much safer.....we beat the piss out of it for over 2 solid hours and it seemed to be OK (although I need another step cooler plugs as the NGK plugs I had were getting pretty hot).

Just looked at the STG2 wastegate - it *does* have a little room to adjust but not much. I will be trying this soon.....if I can hit 19psi and keep 16psi at redline it will be nice. That should flatten out the torque curve as well as the HP curve up top.

I'm hoping for anything high 11's low 12's without breaking an axle!!!!

UPDATE:
I took the wastegate off and adjusted it. Boost is spooling much quicker now. Seems that it was not closed long enough before. I was able to hit 18-20psi but it still was dropping off up top. I'll have to tweak it more to get the tune that I want.

mario03SRT
07-21-2008, 07:25 AM
I will have to get with Rob from TPR to see what other graphs I can get. Jon did lean it out a bit under 3k and also I think he raised the timing too. I know that what I posted is better than what we started out with. We ran out of time and I didn't want to spend any more $$$ until I sorted out the issues. For how it sits I was happy and now it runs much safer.....we beat the piss out of it for over 2 solid hours and it seemed to be OK (although I need another step cooler plugs as the NGK plugs I had were getting pretty hot).

Just looked at the STG2 wastegate - it *does* have a little room to adjust but not much. I will be trying this soon.....if I can hit 19psi and keep 16psi at redline it will be nice. That should flatten out the torque curve as well as the HP curve up top.

I'm hoping for anything high 11's low 12's without breaking an axle!!!!

UPDATE:
I took the wastegate off and adjusted it. Boost is spooling much quicker now. Seems that it was not closed long enough before. I was able to hit 18-20psi but it still was dropping off up top. I'll have to tweak it more to get the tune that I want.

Keep an eye on the afrs as they surely are leaner with the extra boost. Bump the fuel pressure 2-3 lbs.

Marion

contraption22
07-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I always wanted to know how the SRT-4 setup would react to a shorter stroke. Very cool.

dunny
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Keep an eye on the afrs as they surely are leaner with the extra boost. Bump the fuel pressure 2-3 lbs.

Marion

Oh yeah.....I didn't run it very hard for very long for that exact reason. From what I saw on the AFR gauge in megatune it looked just fine up top but was a little lean at lower RPMs. I'm going to wait to get my other items sorted out before I really give it hell. I have a lead on a used AGP wastegate. Already ordered spark plugs. And I may just keep the MBC if the wastegate change works out.

I'm already happy with the results but I'm anxious to see what it does with a properly adjusted wastegate that will hold boost longer.....I shouldn't see such a dip in power after 5500rpms :thumb:

I always wanted to know how the SRT-4 setup would react to a shorter stroke. Very cool.

We have been wondering the same thing the past few years. that is part of the reason I was so stubborn to use a 2.0L instead of a 2.4L. And everyone pressured me to ditch the SRT4 turbo setup for either a GT30 or STG3 turbo and I refused.....I want to see what the little turbo is capable of. I'm just surprised that I'm making that much power on only 16psi of boost. It just doesn't seem right to me considering it takes SRT4s 22+ psi of boost to make that. I think Marion was running that much boost with meth and he hit like 303whp on the same type of dyno. Of course, he had a lot more torque due to the nature of the 2.4L beast but with my car over 300ftlbs it's making good torque too. Now I just have to work on a new tune with the wastegate change and get that torque curve flatter

mario03SRT
07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Dunny,

Well if you are now lean down low now you are definately boosting/spooling sooner/harder.

What about the small boost leak at the mbc?

Marion

dunny
07-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Dunny,

Well if you are now lean down low now you are definately boosting/spooling sooner/harder.

What about the small boost leak at the mbc?

Marion

Yeah it comes on quick now (like 2.5k rpms instead of 4.5k) and I'm getting that typical "surge" sound now when it spools. I definitely hear the turbo working its magic.....

As for the MBC I'm not sure what the deal is....but I was able to adjust boost and it seemed to work. I'll throw the leak tester on it again and see what is what. Worst case I buy a new one.

I'm gonna be gone from Saturday - Thursday next week. I wish you lived closer.....I'd let ya play around with it while I am gone :eyebrows: Everything benefits from the "super mario" QA inspection

dunny
08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm ready for the nats. Here is a screenshot of a nice 4th gear pull from my datalog:

http://dunawayphotography.com/jasonmisc/megatune-screenshot-small.JPG

8valves
08-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Your surge on acceleration could be cam related. We had 2.0 cams in my roomates SRT and it had major surge issues during boost buildup on a Hahn 20G kit. Playing with the gears got it better or worse just playing the guessing game.