PDA

View Full Version : MSD Ignition

Swim100flyy
07-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi - I know that this isn't necessarily specific to the turbo mopars (as I am looking to do this on my 1990 Chrysler LeBaron 3.0L Mitsubishi V6), but how would I go about installing an MSD ignition into the car? What parts would I all need? Currently, it just has a stock ignition system, but i would like that to change and pick up a few extra HP if possible.

Thanks -mike.

Clay
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
some guys run aftermarket ignition, but I think the majority of people still run stock. Heck, I know guys running way into the 12s and 11s and no problems with stock ignition.

but if your going to install an MSD, you really dont need anything more than the MSD box, probably a coil, and some wire connectors/solder/heat shrink wrap.

JDAWG
07-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I wouldnt mess with it, get some good plugs (maybe some 3.0 guys will chime in) factory cap and rotor and some simon wires

Swim100flyy
07-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Whatabout even a coil?

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Whatabout even a coil?

Run a stock replacement or an MSD replacement.

I do sell an Aurora coil with a built in module, there frickin awesome, :thumb:

Clay
07-19-2008, 12:49 AM
simon - more info about aurora coil please ;)

contraption22
07-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Run a stock replacement or an MSD replacement.

I would advise against the MSD replacement. They used to be worth something. Now they are simply chinese junk painted or molded in red.

turbovanmanČ
07-19-2008, 01:30 AM
simon - more info about aurora coil please ;)

Sure, I'll see what I can dig up.

I got sold on one when my old B250 van failed our smog test, HC's due to the 8 different compression readings, installed the coil, went back thru and passed.

I know I kill/burn out regular plugs in 5K or 3000 miles, lol, so I have to use Iridiums.

I would advise against the MSD replacement. They used to be worth something. Now they are simply chinese junk painted or molded in red.

Interesting, :(

BadAssPerformance
07-19-2008, 08:55 AM

The Blaster 2 and Blaster 3 coils are the same as a stock coil???

JDAWG
07-19-2008, 09:00 AM
they aernt much better, just look nice. Actually I have seen a ton of those fail on peoples cars. Just get a good ole black one.

BadAssPerformance
07-19-2008, 09:05 AM
The newer '91+ factory coils are better, by design. Not sure if MSD has anything to offer there. For the '90 and older coil cars, I have run the recommended Blaster 3 with the 6-AL box w/o issues.

EDIT: I did have one 6A box that was in my white Dakota go bad. Would just overheat or something and die out. Sent to MSD and the replaces a capacitor ro diode or soemthing for ~$15 bucks and now it is in a TT 5.0L Mustang project... not sure if it works yet tho, LOL!

JDAWG
07-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I have bought 1 or 2 to coils just to eliminate problems and I just get the Napa black cheap --- ones, they have been good to me

BadAssPerformance
07-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Agreed, the stock coils are decent.

I guess what I meant was that with a "6" box, they may offer some advantage? or at least they advertise it that way? More importantly I'm questioning if they used to but do not now cuz they are made in China? Where were they made before?

Swim100flyy
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
"The biggest problem in working with the 3.0 is trying to work around the factory computer, which retards the timing after 15 sec of full throttle with the automatic and immediately with the stick." - ALLPAR (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3up.html)

Wouldn't running an MSD ignition solve part of this?

turbovanmanČ
07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
"The biggest problem in working with the 3.0 is trying to work around the factory computer, which retards the timing after 15 sec of full throttle with the automatic and immediately with the stick." - ALLPAR (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3up.html)

No, because the computer is in control of the spark advance due to the optical distributor. The only way to get rid of it would be to a) trick the computer, b) have the cal changed if possible by one of our many computer programming guru's, c) run standalone.

JDAWG
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
hasnt anyone made any custom tunes? Like burn your own chip like the 2.2/2.5? I have always wondered this

chilort
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I really don't want to get in a pi$$ing contest but I've had good luck with MSD stuff. I put a 6A box on a '99 Ram and ran it until I traded the truck in '02.

I have a 6A box in my '68 Sweptline to run the ignition on a 440 and it also has a Blaster 2 coil.

I put a 6A box in my '86 Daytona recently. Unfortunately, I made some other changes at the same time, but the throttle response coming off idle is great now. I also have a Blaster 2 coil in the '86.

My best friend ran the Mopar version of the 6A box (or 6AL, I can't remember which one Mopar has painted black and put a sticker on) on his '02 Ram from '02 until he sold the truck this year.

I only have a few years of experience with these, not decades like some others, but I've always found them to be a good product.

I do think one of their claims may be better fuel economy ... that is something I've never seen. Having more power only encourages me to mash the gas to the mat.

contraption22
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM

Wow if that is true, that really sucks... especially since with most 3.0 powered cars, after 15 seconds there is still quite a bit of a 1/4 mile pass left....