PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines

Austrian Dodge
07-16-2008, 02:19 AM
I already replaced the rubber hoses with SS, but i want to replace all of them ... all the way to the prop valve.

Where do i get those lines? No aftermarket store over here offers them, i haven't talked to the dealership here yet, but i think they ask way to high $$ anyways.

It's not that urgent, but i could sure use some entertaiment in the winter time :D

Speedeuphoria
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I just bought some line/fittings and rented a flare tool and went to work. Its not bad except you may have to drop the gas tank to get the pass rear where its supposed to go. You can bend it by hand easy enough or rent a bender also. Autozone here has that stuff to rent then you get your money back when you take it back.

There were/are a couple places that sell the pre bent lines, not sure if it was for all body styles or not?

iangoround
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
+1 to line/fittings.

Best trick ever for bending brake line: Get some 12g THHN or other solid core copper wiring and run it through the line you want to bend. The wire will keep the brake line from collapsing and kinking so you can bend it any which way you want easily.

Nemesismachine
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you bend your own brake lines don't you have to make sure they're the same length?

Speedeuphoria
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
no

not sure if you mean same length as stock or same length per side, either way the answer is no, does not matter. Just have to make them fit and be out of the way of moving parts, ground clearance, ect..

Austrian Dodge
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
my problems are the fittings.
i can get universal lines and fittings here, but the threads on the fittings are different. they don't fit, so i thought about buying them bent in the states, and have them shipped to europe.

what's that thread anyways?

Speedeuphoria
07-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I want to say that the line is 3/16" and I think its just standard fittings for that to plug into the braided lines.

The master cylinder fittings should be 3/8-24, I think thats the standard so same for the lines to SS braided stuff you have.

Let someone confirm

cordes
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
The line is all 3/16 for sure, but I don't know the thread for the fittings. I always just ask for flare fittings for 3/16 brake line. It is the same fitting on the MC too.

capev86
07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
you guys forget that the rest of world is all metric....so it might be tough finding 3/16 line in europe, let along standard (non-metric) thread fittings!

Austrian Dodge
07-17-2008, 02:10 AM
thanks, well said ;)

overlordsshadow
07-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Canada is metric but we live close enough to the states and have enough people who still love the imperial system or have imperial system cars, that we carry all imperial stuff aswell.

What are the advantages of these ss brake lines and do they really help?

TopDollar69
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.inlinetube.com/

Part Number CDB8401

I have this set in stainless, and it came all prebent with the factory gravel guard and all the correct fittings. The set included the trailing axle lines, all four hardlines on the body, and the two that go from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. They cost me $230 shipped. There were three shipping bends that were easy to to bend straight. I am very happy with the lines, great fit, and they look as good as the factory ones if not better. If you do order them, make sure you say they are for an 89 Daytona, or they will cancel your order. When I ordered mine I specified an 84 Laser, and they said that they couldn't guarantee that they would work since the car they got the pattern from was an 89 Shelby Daytona. The lines fit perfect with only one small part being different, and I didn't need to change anything to make it work. The set is not easy to find on the website, you need to open the production vehicle catalog and then do a search for the word Daytona in the PDF.

Austrian Dodge
07-18-2008, 02:05 AM
thanks dude! that's exactly what i was looking for!