PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust angle

Nemesismachine
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
We all know that exhaust flow best the fastest it can escape your car. That's why if you look at "tuner" cars like a Supra or a 240SX the exhaust comes out at an angle, right? Straight shot from the down-turn from the exhaust manifold or header to the tip of the exhaust. Then the gasses just come straight out, no angles to make.

This may be trivial, but for those running modified undercarriages, has anyone tried running the exhaust straight out? Not necessarily at an angle, but like a mini-cooper. Straight out the center back of the car. Thos would involve the removal of the fuel tank, obviously. Or would the rear training arm make it necessary to have a couple bends? I know those other cars have independent rear suspension, which makes those configurations possible.

Just food for thought...

moparzrule
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
The rear axle is way too low to the ground. Usually only independent rear suspension systems have the exhuast running through the middle like that.

Speedeuphoria
07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
the spare tire well and gas tank are likely in the way

t3rse
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
bends do hinder flow somewhat, but so do aerodynamics. a car with a large frontal area and a quick taper, like say an omni or minivan, are going to creat a lot of turbulence which can create artificial back pressure at speed. a side exit at an appropriate angle could create a bernoulli effect and help suck gasses out at speed. just food for thought.

lucky13
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
i would think the vacuum created, is more benificial to NA cars

Nemesismachine
07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
I only post the question because my car doesnt have either, a fuel tank or spare tire well. And yes, I have to come to grips with the fact that an omni is like driving a brick. leaves a bit to the imagination in the aerodynamics dept.

***edit*** I have a fuel cell, and had to cut out the spare tire well to make it fit.

overlordsshadow
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
All I know is I'm doing 3 inch turbo back through a resonator and then doing dual side exit of 2.25 inches to come out just in front of the rear tires.

Mopar318
07-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I just made a full 3" downpipe and exhaust. It runs down into the cat, then takes a bend and exits out the side.

I felt a pretty large power increase in the upper RPM range. Keeps on pulling past 5000rpm now. This is on 14psi