PDA

View Full Version : Puffs of smoke........

Clay
07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
well, I noticed it over the weekend, and yesterday on the way home from work I could really see it.

86 GLHT

When shifting, I left off the gas, shift gears, then get back on the gas. When I get back onto the gas, I can see a visible puff of smoke out of the tail pipe. After the car idles for a while, like at a stop light, I get a bit of smoke from the car when I take off, and enough that I can usually smell it a bit while sitting. Its definitely an burning oil smoke, but Im not sure from where.

I'm thinking either valve guides or valve seals. It does not act like a turbo seal oil leak that Ive dealt with before.

Also, I dont think it would make any difference, BUT the PCV system is not hooked up on the car at all. Nothing connected to the valve cover, yet. (was suppose to fix this last weekend and ran out of time!)

Opinions? ways to check with out tearing the motor down?

thanks,
clay

tryingbe
07-15-2008, 12:43 PM
If nothing is connected to the valve cover's PCV port, and it is just venting to atmosphere, you can rule PCV system out.

MiniMopar
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Sounds like pretty classic valve stem seal failure to me.

Clay
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
valve stems on these motors just like any Chrysler V8? lots of experience with the chrysler v8s on valve seals, not so much on the i4.

Clay
07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
well, I replaced the valve stem seals this weekend. Problem didnt go away. The seals I replaced actually didnt look that bad. Not like what I was expecting anyway, and the spark plugs were clean.

Actually, on Saturday I noticed that after I let the car sit for a while it will start to smoke a bit out of the tail pipe. So it looks like my worst fears have come true........ smoking turbo FTL! :(

tryingbe
07-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Do a leak down test first.

Clay
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
yeah, your right, I need to do that as well. thanks.

MiniMopar
07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Bummer, that sux.

cordes
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
That stinks Clay. Hopefully it is just the turbo though and not something more serious.

88_pacifica
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
so we rebuild it... big whoop. An afternoon and a couple brew-ha-ha's, then you're golden for another 100K or so.

Keito
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I bought a modified stock turbo for my SRT-4 and showed the same signs after a few thousand miles.
The most obvious was after driving it for a half hour or more, if I shut it off and started it a few minutes later I would get a large puff of smoke.
Turned out to be the seal on the turbine side of the turbo.
When I removed the turbo the exhaust manifold had a puddle of oil in it and the turbine wheel was coated.
Actually I had it rebuilt by the manufacturer and its doing it again. Sending it off today for an exchange.

Clay
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
so we rebuild it... big whoop. An afternoon and a couple brew-ha-ha's, then you're golden for another 100K or so.

yup! abso-freakin-lutely! ;)

Im going to buy a rebuild kit and have it ready for the next Hoosier SDAC meeting that you attend! :p

88_pacifica
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
yup! abso-freakin-lutely! ;)

Im going to buy a rebuild kit and have it ready for the next Hoosier SDAC meeting that you attend! :p

just lmk... ;)