PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weekend for TIII's

Blue Iroc R/T
07-14-2008, 08:08 PM
This weekend was NOT a good weekend for TIII's. I was involved with problems on no less that 5 TIII issues.
1. Boostedhatch (on TD.com); Jackson & I confirmed his diagnosis of Oil Pump Failure on his Silver Spirit R/T over the phone.
2. Jackson's 91 Shelby R/T When we got to Carlisle, we decided to go to the Motel, unload Jackson's Beautiful 91 Daytona Shelby R/T and leave Mitch's (tow vehicle driver for Jackson also owner of a Spirit R/T) 03 F250, POWERSTOKE at the Motel. After checking in and unloading we head for Carlisle. Once or twice while setting at a light, looking in my rearview mirror, I thought I notice a little smoke on the right side of Jacksons car. Just before we get there, while stopped at a light, Jackson yells up to me that he has Brake Problems. So, we pull in to the registration area and he starts checking and his Right front wheel is HOT! Not just a little hot! It is so hot that the nice new Chrome plated Pumper is starting to turn BLUE! The Caliper is totally locked. After registering, we drive back to our show Area. Caliper is still tight. So, Jackson pulls the RF Wheel off, Disassembles the RF Caliper and basically find nothing that should be holding/binding. He cleans, scrapes and lubes the slides, re-paints the Caliper then re-assemblies it. That seemed to fix the problem. Never had any more problem with it after that.
3. My R/T developed over heating issues as soon as I arrived at Carlisle on Friday. Went to Advance Auto and got a new Temp Sensor for the Gauge and a new Thermostat. Changed the Sensor and monitored it with the scan tool. Scan tool also shows a Code 41. Wrote that of as a bogus reading. On the way back to the motel the temp went up to 226 Deg. (per scan tool). We kicked to A/C off and turned the heater on Full. Temp immediately dropped to normal range. As long as the heater was running, the temp stayed in normal operating range. Final diagnosis is that I have a Partially plugged Radiator. I have another (supposedly good) rad at home. Drove home, constantly watching the Temp gauge and only had to turn the heat on a couple times for just a short time since traveling in the evening/night the outdoor temp was a lot cooler.
4. My R/T: Remember the code 41 that we wrote off as Bogus? Well it wasn't bogus. :o 41 = Alternator Field Control circuit shorted or open. Appears if field control fails to switch properly. On the way back to the Motel Saturday Evening, (AFTER a nice evening at Denny's Bash) I noticed that my dash lights are VERY dim. Ooops, The Voltage Gauge is showing Discharge. SH*T! SO, Sunday morning we get up and go out the parking lot at 7:30am and pull the Alternator off. Went to Autozone just a few blocks away. They don't open until 9am. Back to the Motel and have breakfast. Then back to the Zone. Now keep in mind, The TIII Alternators are TIII Specific due to the pulley. We were pretty sure that they would have a TIII Alternator, but IF we could buy a Socket the right size, we could just change the pulley and use an Alternator for a 8v. Well, They HAD THREE! IN STOCK. Had the TIII Pulley and All ($129.99). How lucky is that? Now, I point out to him that the Alternator that I brought in has a nice little black circle with a Black "Z" in it. I ask, Doesn't this mean that it is a Warranty Item? Yep, It sure does. I gave them my phone number and he looks it up. Nothing under my name for this part number. Checked under Chad's and Mark's (my sons) name and nothing. Then the Counter guy says, "Well, maybe they have changed part numbers". So, he does some other check and Yep, there it is. He then hands me a receipt that equals "No-Charge" after warranty exchange and says, Thank you Sir, have a nice day! :hail: I didn't have to pay a dime and didn't even have to sign anything. 20 minutes later it is on and we head for the Show. Thanks Jackson! :hail:
5. Moe (aka, CaptMoe), with his Black 92 Iroc R/T: On his way to the show, missed a shift and went from redline in 3rd to 2nd gear. After a lot of brainstorming and working, determined that the slipped/striped a Valve Keeper of one of the #1 Cylinder Intake Valves. See thread for details: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27525

The GOOD NEWS IS: All of them made it thru the weekend and either got fixed or at least got us home. I heard that Boostehatch did get his Oil Pump replaced.

86Shelby
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds like quite a weekend. Wish I could've made it out there.

Xtrempickup
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
well Ralph, it was a fun weekend for TIIIs i guess. I have a nice leaky Rear main seal so motor rebuild is in my future with my compression falling on the lower side as confirmed by recent check and lots of blow the reason for catch can install. but on the upside, i did find that my catch can i made out of PCV pipe does work.

Blue Iroc R/T
07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds like quite a weekend. Wish I could've made it out there.

Yes it WAS! I LOVED IT! It was awesome seeing so many people around Moe's car... pitching ideas, asking questions trying to come up with something. We even had two guys come up from the swap area. Moe almost bought a TIII head off of him, then upon Close inspection, Jackson found a crack it. The seller really did NOT know it was there. It was cracked, but didn't appear that it had started leading much if any "YET".

This isn't the first time that a TIII has been repaired on the Carlisle Show Field. Is it Butch? But at least this time, it made it all the way home after fixing it. :eyebrows:

CaptMoe
07-14-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm just glad my issue happened this past weekend and not on my way home with the car from NC.

I really had a blast and was glad to provide the entertainment. I'm glad I found you guys and I'm glad I bought a TIII car...

Moe

2.216VTurbo
07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
A weekend around all those TIII cars sounds like a good weekend to me;) Ought to be a rule that Jackson and Bryan go everywhere that TIII's go:amen: Only Jackson would have repainted that caliper before reassembling:clap:

Turbo3Iroc
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes it WAS! I LOVED IT! It was awesome seeing so many people around Moe's car... pitching ideas, asking questions trying to come up with something. We even had two guys come up from the swap area. Moe almost bought a TIII head off of him, then upon Close inspection, Jackson found a crack it. The seller really did NOT know it was there. It was cracked, but didn't appear that it had started leading much if any "YET".

This isn't the first time that a TIII has been repaired on the Carlisle Show Field. Is it Butch? But at least this time, it made it all the way home after fixing it. :eyebrows:

Butch only made it about 10 miles or so that year before it got to knocking again.

I had one small issue on the way out. I heard a loud clunk in the front end. I pulled off and got to looking around. Found the lower splash shield hit the axle. Removed the last screw and threw it in the truck. No other issues after that.