PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 '88 voyager, rich/bad start in hot weather???

RoadWarrior222
07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi folks,

This is driving me nuts, when the outside temperature is over 20C or when the motor has been run warm but left sitting for maybe half hour to 2 hours, in cooler temps, but usually not less than 15C... it takes a lot of cranking to start. Like 3-5 seconds worth, and coughs out gassy smelling white smoke. The first kick or two when you're cranking it, it won't catch on if you let go the key, you have to wait until you hear the first rumble out of the exhaust.

In cooler temps, 15C or lower, it always just takes 1 sec of cranking, sometimes catches on the first turn, click-VROOM, particularly when colder than about 10C. Also catches pretty much right away when restarted less than half an hour after turning off.

I would suspect injector leakage, but am puzzled as to why it takes over half an hour for this to occur and also puzzled as to why it happens when I haven't run it for 24 hours, go out in the middle of the afternoon at around 25C and it does it. Most things I read about injector leakage problems suggest that it happens within about 5 mins of shutoff, and takes maybe half an hour of sitting to clear up by itself from evaporation. You'd think that if the injectors did leak, that with it baking in the sun all morning that fuel would have evaporated. You'd think that with it sitting overnight the fuel rail would have no pressure left for the injectors to leak anything when the sun warmed it up through the middle of next day...

I'm getting no codes come through, just get a 55, which seems a little odd by itself because I thought it was meant to count key-ons and flash the count, either since reset or since last fault.

I know when I start it in cooler weather, and it starts right away, it goes to high idle for a little while, whereas when it's having this problem, it doesn't go to high idle at all. That seems wierd because you'd have thunk there was more fuel going in at high idle and it was the attempt to high idle that was flooding it or something. Unless of course, it's actually too lean to start at first, but the cranking just puddles fuel in there until it catches and then the puddle makes the cloud of smoke.

I was thinking maybe it wasn't picking up the cranking signal from the optical tone wheel in the diz or something, but why the hell would it only do that when it's "medium warm" and not cold or just turned off hot. Likewise I suspected plug fouling for a little while but again, why only do it while "medium warm" and not cold or full hot.

I was wondering if it's possible that it actually tries to start in closed loop mode when it's "medium warm" but the O2 is nowhere near hot enough, whereas when it's full hot it is, but when it's cold it goes into open loop first. Only this doesn't seem quite right, because it takes 5 mins of highway driving and more deflection of the temp gauge for the TC lockup to kick in, which I take as it going into closed loop, whether it was a difficult medium warm start or a cold one.

I've tried a couple of different approaches when I know it's the right conditions for it to happen, neither gives any improvement, first is leaving the key full off until ready to start and just throwing it straight over to start, second is turning it to run, waiting to hear the pump prime then waiting a few seconds for the SMEC to get it's baro reading or whatever, then cranking it.

So, any hints would be good, really doesn't seem to fit "normal" behaviour for typical suspects like IAT failure, MAP sensor failure, etc and it hasn't got a hall effect sensor.

thanks,

RW222

JDAWG
07-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Maybe I missed it, did you check any codes yet?

RoadWarrior222
07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
No codes. Can't remember the last time it threw one.

Vigo
07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
do you have any water dripping out the pipe? could be that pressure in the cooling system which only occurs when the engine has been run regardless of how hot it is, is pushing coolant into the chamber and then puffing white coolant smoke out the exhaust when you try to start it until it clears the liquid out. When the cooling system pressure goes down or the engine cools and possibly shrinks the gap shut, it stops leaking. this is just a thought. hows your coolant level?

RoadWarrior222
07-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Coolant level seems to be stable, been checking it because of an occasional real faint coolant smell under the hood, but can't smell coolant in the exhaust. I haven't seen any "mayo" on the oil cap since the end of winter, would have thought I would have if there was any coolant going in the motor. Also doesn't seem to crank unevenly as one might expect if one cylinder had much coolant in it. When I say white smoke, it's white/grey, smells more of gas than anything else. Sometimes get a bit of blue from oil getting past the valve guides.

shadow88
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Could you install a fuel pressure gauge to determine if the rail pressure is actually dropping? It sounds like injector leaking based on what you mentioned.

RoadWarrior222
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
The pressure does drop, there's no pressure when I swap a fuel filter out after leaving it sitting for an hour or so, never has been. Manuals I've got say to leave it sit for a while or relieve pressure at the rail if you're impatient. So I get the impression that it's meant to slowly bleed back through the pump. Or is that just line pressure and the FPR should be holding it steady at the rail? Seems to me that FPRs are valved to let higher pressure flow to lower pressure below a cutoff point, seems they could backflow if the high pressure side went low.

If it only ever did this when it was RUN warm, I'd figure it was a leaky injector right off, but when it sits and gets warm in the sun, or the air temp is warm, I really don't see how it's happening. This morning for instance at 16C outside, it started nicely, however, Sunday, when it hadn't been run since Saturday AM, and it was about 28C outside at 4PM when we started it, it was a bugger again. It seems unlike an injector leak also in that no matter how long you leave it sitting after running it, longer than about half an hour, as long as the air temperature is high, or cools off and gets high again before you drive it, it will be a PITA to start. Whereas one would expect an injector leak first to be noticeable sooner than half an hour, and for the gas to evaporate off over a couple of hours or so.

Hmmmm, just thunk, wonder if it could be charcoal canister valve stuck open or something... warm temps=lots of gas vapor and it pulls it straight in.

edit: Oh I've heard it said that if the gas pedal is held to the floor when cranking all fuel is cut off, as a thing to help a flooded engine, is that true on this motor or how SMEC/SBEC does things in general or not? I haven't wanted to try it in case it didn't work and REALLY flood it out.

Vigo
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
yes that is pretty standard on fuel injected cars and it works on these too.

RoadWarrior222
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Hmmm riddle me this... whenever I put a bit of isopropyl alcohol in the tank (iso-heet, many emissions cleaners, fuel systems cleaners, a component of seafoam) this problem goes away. Just tested it again, put 4oz in the tank, starts great at any temp :confused: the click-vroom kind of great.

Now, I really doubt it's water in the fuel line doing it, because methanol 99.8% pure (regular HEET) doesn't affect it, starts just as bad, also the concentration I'm using of isopropyl alcohol 70%, is near the limit for the amount of water it can still hold in concentration while in solution with the gasoline, so there's not much water sucking power in it.

Now the injectors spray near the ports well away from the IAT sensor, IAC valve, MAP sensor etc, so it's obviously not cleaning any of those up. If it's fouled plugs, you'd expect them to be just as fouled when it's cold. It also should in no way shape or form "cure" an injector leak, because if anything it should make them leak worse due to lowering the viscosity of the fuel a tad. Mind you, methanol should do about the same, but doesn't.

Only thing I can think of that makes any sense is maybe there's some very slightly gummy deposits on an injector or two, continually forming, that make it stick, but the iso instantly cures it, but only for as long as I run with it in.

Vigo
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
is the isoheet eaiser to ignite than regular gasoline?

RoadWarrior222
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't think so, but it should theoretically make the gasoline evaporate easier due to being highly polar... but then so does methanol...

Anyhoo...

Found a bit in the Haynes manual that doesn't appear anywhere else... (Chilton, EBSCO online database, MOTOR manual...)

"Canister Vacuum Delay Valve

A symptom of a failed delay valve is difficulty in starting the engine when it is hot" ....

BUT, no mention of what years and engines that applies to, the pic referred to appears to show a 2.2/2.5 TBI canister being tested. The 3.0 one looks different and doesn't have the gizmo on top it appears to be referring to. Also it talks elsewhere about the vacuum delay being essential for the carbed motors, no mention of FI.

So I'm wondering if actually the purge solenoid is stuck/sticking. If it was blown it should throw a code. It should only be open about 60-66C.

Anyone got an FSM for any 3.0 application between '87 and '93??? Does it use a delay valve??

Sounds like the solenoid is wired to be on when the ignition is on, but that SMEC pulls it low to stop it actuating when it's hot. In which case whatever returns it, spring, etc could be weak or it could be gummed up. Maybe I'll blast brake cleaner through it, see what happens.

RoadWarrior222
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmmm now it's a double WTF, just been and looked at the damn thing and it more resembles the 2.5 version than the 3.0 version pix.. even has the extra fitting for a carb float bowl.

I exercised the solenoid, did seem a bit hesitant... that vent thing on them, it's meant to have a small filter on isn't it? Is that a blow off? If it is I won't worry about it, but if it's a high vacuum relief I guess I better stick something on it. Contacts were a bit corroded/coated too, it SHOULD have been setting a code if it was out of circuit, but I wasn't getting one on the check engine lamp.

RoadWarrior222
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Well maybe wriggling the contacts worked... not getting such a large plume of smoke at startup now, it's down to maybe 10% as big as it was. Just a basketball sized puff instead of the half as big as the mini sized belch. I'm also hearing a click through the vacuum system now about 50 yards after I set off. (Hear it through the HVAC vents)

Maybe this was something to do with a wierd very intermittent loss of vacuum I was having a while back, damn thing would lose all vacuum assistance on the brakes. Only happened hot and after a long period of driving, it was close to unreproducible, and I got fed up spending $$$ on gas just driving around waiting for it to happen so I could pull over and see what was up. I did get to pull over one time when I was on my way somewhere, but the bugger seemed to cure itself when I came to a stop and I couldn't find anything.