PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof glass weatherstip

minigts
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm referring to the fuzzy weather strip that fits INTO the sunroof glass. Is there a replacement for this or does anyone know of a replacement? Is it still available at the dealer?

minigts
07-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok, so I know I'm not the only L-bodied sunroof guy with this problem. Anyone?

jaysshelby
07-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I would like to know as well, the sunroof in my Rampage needs it replaced.

GLHS592
07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I remember a thread on Team Omni a few years back. There was some sort of 1980's GM sunroof weatherstrip that was identical. It took two because the Charger sunroof is so huge. That's all I remember about it.

shrapnel
07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I have an 87 GLHS and that strip is starting to tear and show wear, but I have never seriously looked into replacing it. Did you try a dealer? Sounds like a dumb question, but there are still hundreds of new parts sitting on shelfs at obscure dealerships around the country.

minigts
07-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I haven't recently. Should ask JDAWG to locate some. :D JDAWG, where are you!?

87glhs
07-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I need one too. Sad thing is that it's probably a standard seal used for glass in making RV windows or something--need to find someone knowledgeable in building these sorts of things, then track down a supplier.

signsoflife22
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
DITTO!!! That seems to be the hardest part to come across. My GLHS roof strip is a total mess. Thank God the clear coat was peeling up there anyway because I just black duct taped the damn thing shut. If anyone hears about these strips available, let me know as well.
Thanks, Donnie

DodgeZ
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8939

Not sure why I made all of those FAQs if no one reads them.....

bfarroo
08-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, When I try to long in I get denied because I didn't post much on that site.

minigts
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Hmmm, it seems I posted about follow up to this Kevin....:rolleyes: So what say you!?

4 l-bodies
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I looked up the part # for the glass weatherstrip in the mopar parts catalog. It appears to be 5232046. They call it a seal, sun-roof secondary. This was for a 87 2 dr. SC. I checked a few vintage parts sources and Arizona parts and found nothing. I didn't check with my local dealership though but did run # on parts voice. Came up with goose eggs.
Fortunately mine is almost perfect, as I had a spare sunroof glass. It's for sale along with the rest of the car.;)
Todd

minigts
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Well the sad/bad thing is, I had one from the dealer but it was so thick, it ended up damaging it almost immediately when I tried to install in with the sunroof and fit it into the car. I should have bought two. Maybe someone makes this stuff in a roll. I saw a 2003 Toyota Corolla that had the same design, just smaller sunroof. I can't even believe this stuff isn't sold in volume as it is used on a good number of sunroofs out there still.

WickedShelby88
08-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Most of the stuff is sold in volume but the problem is generally the general public don't know where because it just gets sourced through volume sales directly from a supplier or manufacturer. I would think someone with in the body repair and restoration community would have an idea, but hard telling. I think if we could find out who the manufacturer is that would open a lot of doors.

knownenemy
12-12-2015, 11:46 PM
This thread is understandably OLD! lol
BUT, finding this seal has become IMPOSSIBLE.

OMNIPOTENT used to have them; not anymore.

PLEASE, if anyone has a lead to the sunroof glass seal,
(The one that goes all the way around the glass itself)
or has a seal that replicates the original,
or knows of another vehicle that uses the same seal,
again, PLEASE post up the information.

I've been racking my brain, and BEGGING GOOGLE to find something, but no dice!

Thank you kindly, in advance. :)

martin kolner
12-13-2015, 01:25 AM
from 1986:

5232 046 SEAL, Sun Roof (Secondary)

5207 319 SEAL, Sun Roof (Primary)

raccoon
12-13-2015, 01:43 AM
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

some parts here, all the dodge stuff is discontinued. maybe the ford or gm strip is similar.

supercrackerbox
12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Glad I got those NOS pieces of Ebay this past fall.

knownenemy
12-13-2015, 11:03 AM
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

some parts here, all the dodge stuff is discontinued. maybe the ford or gm strip is similar.
Yeah, I went there while searching, but I'm going to call them Monday.

Glad I got those NOS pieces of Ebay this past fall.
I guess there's no chance you've still got one, and you might part with it is there?

supercrackerbox
12-13-2015, 12:53 PM
I only have one of each piece and I bought them for the GLHS. They are on the shelf with all the other restoration parts I've been collecting for the last decade. Every man has his price, but with weatherstrip being the hardest parts to find for these cars, I will not part with these easily.

knownenemy
12-13-2015, 01:20 PM
I only have one of each piece and I bought them for the GLHS. They are on the shelf with all the other restoration parts I've been collecting for the last decade. Every man has his price, but with weatherstrip being the hardest parts to find for these cars, I will not part with these easily.
I wouldn't pry it out of your hands if you intend to use it for a complete restoration bro.
I'll figure something out.
I also need it for a GLHS, but mine will be FAR FROM factory.

supercrackerbox
12-13-2015, 07:02 PM
My goal for the GLHS is for everything to appear as factory as possible, at least to the untrained eye. But I'm going to sneak in every trick I can think of to squeeze as much as I can out of it. The MP Super 60 wiring will be the most obvious deviation from stock, followed by the common block and a555 trans, but the rest should look pretty stock.

knownenemy
12-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Spoke to Rick at SunRoofDoctors. ;)

He thinks he has a few seals that worked out well for this application.

He's going to check stock, and check with his supplier for availability, and email me directly.

The seal he may have is one he had sold previously to other Shelby Charger owners,
and they were pleased with it.
It IS NOT a flocked seal. It is a seal made of rubber, without the flocked edge.
However, he said that the customers who bought it were very pleased.

If he does have them on hand, and they are still available,
he said the price is right around $59+shipping :amen:

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on what he tells me. :thumb:

cdavis
12-14-2015, 03:28 PM
^^This is good to hear!

knownenemy
12-14-2015, 08:11 PM
^^This is good to hear!
Absolutely!

This issue is one that affects nearly every L-body w/sunroof owner.
I think it's about remembering that the seal is bad. lol
Since it's the secondary seal, sometimes it's overlooked.

However, what I can assure everyone, is that this seal is SO MUCH MORE than a secondary seal.
Understandably, without it no water will leak into the passenger compartment.
BUT, the water that makes its way into the roof edge, under the glass...
you know, the water that drains into the tubes...???

IT DOESN'T LEAK THROUGH THE TUBES TO THE GROUND!!!
IT LEAKS RIGHT INTO THE BODY PANEL BETWEEN THE B-PILLAR AND C-PILLAR!!!

This blew my mind when I finally got the car apart.
Here's a few pics of what I found in my GLHS:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Failed%20factory%20drain_zpsdfilt1rv.jpg

I had to add holes, and lengthen the drain tubes to run through them.
Now the water that gets past the secondary seal will actually drain to the ground.

This pic is looking down into the cavity between the B and C-pillars,
with the tube I lengthened, and fed through the hole I drilled.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20tray%20drain%205_zpszwwdv93h.jpg

Just to be 100% clear on this:
If the secondary seal for your L-body sunroof is allowing water to pass by,
that water DOES NOT make it to the ground.
It leaks into the body, between the B and C-pillars.
The tubes that run from the sunroof drip edge do not pass through the body.
So there's nowhere for the water to go but into this cavity, where it'll begin the job of rotting your car.

No way out:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20tray%20drain%203_zpslt1wfsas.jpg

I'm still awaiting word from Rick at SunRoofDoctors.
It didn't seem like it would be much of a task for him to find out.
So, I'm sure I'll hear from him within a day or two.

I did ask about a group buy kind of deal, but he said they really don't mark up these seals that much.
So, it wouldn't make a difference if one was purchased or 20 were purchased.
I just figured I'd ask to be thorough.

Stay tuned. :)

Reaper1
12-15-2015, 03:21 PM
This is the same as the G-bodies as well. Though I seem to remember my '84 Laser *possibly* having drains. I'm pretty confident that J-body convertibles have drains from the cavity (the soft top storage well has moisture drains).

knownenemy
12-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Looks like Monday(the 28th) is the soonest I'm going to get him on the phone at SunRoofDoctors.
Sorry for the delay guys. Updates to come!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Happy Holiday to everyone!!!

supercrackerbox
12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
The tubes in my old blue '86 CS made it to the ground, but it was an aftermarket sunroof. And the car still rotted out. :lol:

knownenemy
12-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Spoke to Rick at SunRoofDoctors.

He had three in stock, and his supplier wasn't sure about getting more.
On a good note, they didn't say it was discontinued.

So, I have one in route to me now.
Should be here in 4 days.
I'll post pics of it, and how it fits.

knownenemy
12-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Received the sunroof glass seal I ordered Monday!!!

Here's what was in the box:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20Doctors%20Glass%20Seal%201_zpssbqbzvre.j pg

And a few other pics.
It's got a really weird(only word I can use for it) edge.
It's not flocked, but feels very similar to the flocked edge.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20Doctors%20Glass%20Seal%205_zpsfjwzycpq.j pg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20Doctors%20Glass%20Seal%203_zpsjazvj1bt.j pg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20Doctors%20Glass%20Seal%204_zps95bdbvyr.j pg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/signsoflife7/GLHS%200896/sunroof/Sunroof%20Doctors%20Glass%20Seal%202_zpswqj2bj5s.j pg

The seal looks perfect!!!
It's one continuous loop, and is the size of our huge roof glass.

I mis quoted the price earlier, it came to $62.10/shipped
I think that's a STEAL!
Rick told me he had only three left.

I'm hoping his supplier has good news for him. :thumb:

TurboZJockey
09-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Are these seals still available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onerippinturbo2
09-05-2016, 11:02 AM
call rick at sunroof doctors to find out