PDA

View Full Version : Is my 568 shafted?

Garffus
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
One not so perfect thing with my RT is the box, it has oil all over it and I noticed 5 or 6 drips on the drive under the box, i'm sure thats just a couple of seals i can sort without enormous difficulty, the level is fine, however, 2nd makes a whining sound and if you really give it abuse to the red line, it will pop out of gear...

2nd is obviously the most abused gear because it can take you from 0 to the national speed limit in a flash, but my questions..

Anyone else have this problem with jumping out of 2nd? & can i cure it?

Can I get a replacement 2nd? or could i rob/swap 2nd from my 87 555 which is currently dormant?

thanks for your help

cordes
07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
you will need to tear into the trans to fix that, but you won't be able to use the parts from your 555.

Garffus
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Doh! i thought they had the same gearset.. ?

cordes
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe that the 89' 555 shares the gearset with the 568, but I didn't think that the earlier 555s had any interchangeable parts with the 568. If you had a 523, you should be able to pillage it for some parts as they share a lot in common with the 568.

2.216VTurbo
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
The tall guy is right, Nove 88 and later build date for the 555 to share the late 568 gearset.

badandy
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
The tall guy is right, Nove 88 and later build date for the 555 to share the late 568 gearset.

Now that's just sweet...I didn't know that:thumb:

Blue Iroc R/T
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
If it still has the stock (read spongey) shifter bushing, I would suggest replacing them with some good solid poly bushings; http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/Product.asp?IDCatalog=61&ProductID=347

It might be to little, to late, but if the stock bushing are soft, it may give you a false feeling that you a fully in gear when it reality it's not ALL the way in. Besides with the solid bushings, it is SOOO much more fun shifting. :nod:

MiniMopar
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
If 2nd is popping-out, it is most likely not getting far enough in to capture the teeth on the gear. The more trashed the dogs on the gear are, the more this happens when the slider doens't move far enough. My guess is shift fork pads or shifter cable adjustment/bushings. If you still have the original bushings, definitely get rid of those.

If you can bang it into gear really hard at low RPM and stays in, then both pads are wiped. If it grinds when shifted hard but shifts fine when you're gentle, then it is either one pad is wiped and the frok is putting uneven pressure on the stop ring, or the stop ring is shot.

At least that's my experience.

And yes, based on the feedback I got in this thread, the complete late A555 gearset is compatible with the A568 and the 3-4 pair should also work from earlier A555s.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27061

Garffus
07-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok thanks

well it only pops out if your really hard with it, like if you were racing, its more inclined to do it if your a millisecond late off the clutch too, that was two of the times its happened..

With the shifting, its fine through the gears, but if your going say 4th to 2nd rolling down to a junction or turn, you have to go for 2nd twice since the stick just wont go back first attempt, 2nd attempt it slides straight in, but then i guess that could also be me not getting the revs right while braking, I haven't done enough miles to get the feel for correctly positioning your foot for heel and toe with it yet, the flappy throttle peddle is a PITA for that so im leaving it all to the synchros at the minute...

So going forward, shifter bushings and check adjustment of cables will hopefully help, if i still have trouble i need to pull the box.. If your correct and im not all the way in gear, that could be some of the whining noise too?

Am i on the right lines?

Thanks

MiniMopar
07-09-2008, 04:53 PM
So going forward, shifter bushings and check adjustment of cables will hopefully help, if i still have trouble i need to pull the box.. If your correct and im not all the way in gear, that could be some of the whining noise too?

Maybe. The A555/568s do whine, especially in 1st and 2nd. They are very coarse gears and even though they are helical they seem to whine anyway. 3rd whines a bit too...just kind of depends on your engine mounts and how loud other things are. On that thread, a collapsed trans mount will make the trans sound much louder in the cabin.

Gear whine can also be caused my misalignment of the shafts. This can happen in the earlier trannies due to retainer plate flex, but any trans can do it if there is too much input shaft play. The A520 in my old Shadow used to howl in 3rd when I'd hit the torque peak. That trans exploded later in the CSX.