PDA

View Full Version : Valve Seat Dropped....

Garret
03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
So I while diagnosising my running rich condition on my van, I pulled my valve cover to pull my fuel rail (two piece intake) and low and behold I see a rocker sitting in the back of the valve cover, so I attempt to reinstall it and it slides right in, I know that's not good. So my question is, since this is a ported head, how hard of a repair is this as well, can I reuse my MP headgasket that was torqued down and maybe a total of 2 hours run time on the engine?

PS if Mods feel this isn't the right section for this please feel free to move it, but I need the answer fast

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Its either a bad lifter or yes, quite possible the seat. You might be lucky and have no damage to the head but obviously, check the lifter, if its ok, then yank the head. Any decent machine shop can fix the head and put a new valve seat in.

The head gasket is junk, you need to buy a new one.

Garret
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I'll go pull the lifter right now, how do I know if it's bad?

Just pulled it, it won't compress, but the tip will spin so it's not frozen up

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Remove the rocker arm on the next cylinder and compare lifter heights. Also try to push down the lifter, if it easily sinks, its junk, if its hard, its fine and you have a valve issue.

Garret
03-13-2006, 02:54 PM
oh well I guess I get to pull the head... that will be fun, dunno how I'll get those turbo bolts loose without being able to get under it due to the snow... but I'll figure something out

3Bar_Mopar
03-13-2006, 03:11 PM
oh well I guess I get to pull the head... that will be fun, dunno how I'll get those turbo bolts loose without being able to get under it due to the snow... but I'll figure something out

What turbo bolts? I can pull a head without touching the turbo....except for maybe the return line, and I can sometimes get those from above.

t3rse
03-16-2006, 02:33 PM
^ yeah, i just take off the turbo oil return in the back, the coolant feed line, and exhaust then everything else is on top of the car (ic piping, oil feed, t-stat return, fuel lines, sensor lines etc).

Garret
03-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Downpipe people ;)

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Whats going on, any news?

8valves
03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
He's probably outside pulling the cylinder head! ;)

Aaron Miller

Garret
03-16-2006, 10:34 PM
haha I got everything undone but the downpipe bolts, once my HG comes in, then I'll pull the head and take it too the shop