PDA

View Full Version : smec l body conversion options

bgbmxer
07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
got an 86 shelby charger and im gonna throw a 2.5 t1 in it and intercool it with the 555 trans and i was wondering what the best way to convert to smec is i have been told i can get a 88 and up lbody under dash harness and put it in my sc with a 88 and up caravan harness and only have to change 2 wires in the big plug along with changing length of wires in the right places. i might be buying a harness custom made for the older style plug but i was wondering about some other options since smec will help me with my goals i have and help in tuning

Frank
07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
You could just cal the LM for 2.5L.

jl93sundance
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
You could just cal the LM for 2.5L.

And i think you will have to change/add a couple of wires for tps/ais if you are converting to blow through which you probably are right?

bgbmxer
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
want it smec its the superior way to tune it lm is harder to do custom tunes and the fact thatworking with two computers that talk to each other is a pain in the arse and my harness has seen better days. just asking about some more options

Frank
07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
want it smec its the superior way to tune it lm is harder to do custom tunes and the fact thatworking with two computers that talk to each other is a pain in the arse and my harness has seen better days. just asking about some more options

Actually the LM has some of the best and more popular code to choose from.... http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22703

You only have to talk to one computer for any kind of tuning. The LM is the brains and the power module just does the heavy lifting. ;) The SMEC just has the exact same two components in the same box for all intents and purposes.

I would just replace your harness and not have to worry about converting. The LM is powerful and most cost exists for LM that exists for SMEC.

bgbmxer
07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
more people seem to be doing the smec thing and i know i can run it but i just think smec would be better in my oppinion

Frank
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
more people seem to be doing the smec thing and i know i can run it but i just think smec would be better in my oppinion

Have fun. ;)

bgbmxer
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
why do you say that? give me more info

Frank
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
why do you say that? give me more info

I really mean, have fun. Nothing sarcastic about it.

SpoolinGLH
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I am running a 2.2 SMEC Omni GLH w/ a custom tune. I like the SMEC due to alot less wiring in my car. I compiled a Conversion guide on how to Convert LM to SMEC. PM me w/ your address and Ill send it to you. Its really not that hard it is just time consuming to do it right.

jl93sundance
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I think it would be better to just stick with the same harness, because there is really no gain by converting to smec,but if you need a minivan harness I have one from an 89' turbo mini pm me if you are interested:thumb:

cordes
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I will add a +1 for keeping the LM. There is nothing the LM can't do that any of the other stock ECUs can as far as I am concerned. The SMEC is a viable alternative, but there is nothing intrinsically better about it.

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 04:18 AM
either way i still have to mess with the wiring either to convert it to smec or make the changes to mine to run the newer motor in my car. and i already have a socket computer for smec already. im not sure what to do nowi guess if the deal for the smec harness is gonna happen i will buy that and if not i will re wire my stuff to run the 2.5.
and for my power goals i would have to wire it for a 87 since the cals for a 86 are not even 3bar correct

cordes
07-08-2008, 09:12 AM
You don't need to rewire anything just because you are putting a 2.5 in. There is at least one person who has an 86' GLHS 3 bar cal, but you are right that it would be a good idea to convert to 87' electronics since that is where the support is. It will be much easier to add two wires and move a couple more to make it 87' electronics than to convert to SMEC though.

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 04:27 PM
its setup for a t1 blow threw setup now so i do have to rewire stuff either way and if i can get this other harness problem solved but if not then i gotta do a conversion so it might as well be to an 87

cordes
07-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I take it from your other posts that you are running GLHS electronics. If that is the case, you will only need to switch around a couple of pins at the LM and add two more for the under hood map. You will also have to splice into a wire at the LM for the under hood map.

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
nope its a t1 stock but im putting a 2.5 t2 setup that im putting in it. i would have to do all the re wiring from the start

cordes
07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Add two wires for the AIS, then proceed with the same stuff I posted above. I recently did a log TI to TII swap in a car and completed it in a couple of hours taking my time while hooking up the NB output from my WBO2 to the LM also.

minigts
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I personally don't care for the wiring of the LM setup, but unless you're going to wire the car correctly and clean it up, you may be better off staying with the factory wiring setup. I converted over to the SMEC for cleanliness AND it's what I had available.

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
i have a hard time understanding the directions sometimes as i looked at it before there are a few people arond that can help if need be but it shouldnt be a problem. i hate wiring but i guess thats because i was never tought enough about it and i get baffled but i did make it so that im running the newer style alternator instead of that crappy old one after it melted most of the charging sub harness. it doesnt seem that hard so i might have to try it once i get my axles trans turbo and clutch

minigts
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Well it isn't hard to wire it, you just need to remove all the wires you don't need and be patient with the ones you do. Word to the wise, if you are going to do the SMEC CHECK every wire for breaks and make sure any factory splices are properly sealed or taped up. I chased down a few gremlins when I went to the SMEC, but after I was finished my harness was light, the correct length and bug-free! If you have any need of the factory terminal ends I have a few places you can call in the event you want to re-terminate some of the ends that are more than likely bad.

And if you need help with the 40 way, I have a spreadsheet with everything documented.

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
the one im buying is a custom built one that plugs right in to my firewall and is plug and play but if that falls through thats why im asking these questions

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
that spreadsheet would be handy

bgbmxer
07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
well thanks for the advice everyone i guess it all depends if the deal for the harness holds out which direction i go