PDA

View Full Version : The infamous question about BOV's

Dave
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Heyyyyy.... while waiting on parts (and income) for my new intercooler for the Spirit, I took out the intercooler and all the piping and only running 10psi with 12* base timing. I have a stock Garrett on for right now. Now, I don't have the piping and all that other BS for the time-being to mate my BOV to.

So my question is this: If Chrysler made the TII's come with a Garrett and no BOV, and compressor surge was the only way to depressurize the intercooler piping, will it be okay to do this for a few weeks?

I could see it screwing up my thrust bearing (the turbo's already got some in and out play) but it's only 10psi.

Could it hurt?

cordes
03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
It wont be ideal, but the GN guys ran their cars with out BOVs for years before they decided they would be a cool addition.

89DaytonaTII
03-13-2006, 09:21 PM
it'll be fine. t2 cars never had a bov and they can run just fine for many miles in stock trim.

GLHS60
03-16-2006, 02:03 AM
If you still have your original 2.5 turbo to throttle body hose it has the provision for the stock BOV. Thats what I'm using on my minivan [2.5 with Garrett] while waiting to get the time and energy to intercool it. Also T-II cars had a flexible hose to absorb surge noise.

Thanks

Heyyyyy.... while waiting on parts (and income) for my new intercooler for the Spirit, I took out the intercooler and all the piping and only running 10psi with 12* base timing. I have a stock Garrett on for right now. Now, I don't have the piping and all that other BS for the time-being to mate my BOV to.

So my question is this: If Chrysler made the TII's come with a Garrett and no BOV, and compressor surge was the only way to depressurize the intercooler piping, will it be okay to do this for a few weeks?

I could see it screwing up my thrust bearing (the turbo's already got some in and out play) but it's only 10psi.

Could it hurt?

butchsuppe
03-16-2006, 02:35 AM
it'll be fine. t2 cars never had a bov and they can run just fine for many miles in stock trim.
The TC T2 cars have a BOV in the airbox thats where I got mine

cordes
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
The TC T2 cars have a BOV in the airbox thats where I got mine

Is it the same BOV as the mitsu turbo cars?

tryingbe
03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Yup. POS BOV (cbv)

8valves
03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty anti no-bov's on manual cars, but seeing as this is an auto you'll see surge a lot less, unless you're an on/off the gas kind of driver. Brian's right, GN guys have gotten away with big boost with no bov's for years, but I think a lot of it is that they're auto's and only have maybe 1/4 of the surge times that a manual car has.

Aaron Miller

cordes
03-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty anti no-bov's on manual cars, but seeing as this is an auto you'll see surge a lot less, unless you're an on/off the gas kind of driver. Brian's right, GN guys have gotten away with big boost with no bov's for years, but I think a lot of it is that they're auto's and only have maybe 1/4 of the surge times that a manual car has.

Aaron Miller

They probably would have started running them before they were cool if you could have gotten a manual in the car for sure.