PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Neon Auto shifter for use with a RMVB...

ShelGame
03-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I converted a Neon shifter for use with my RMVB by cutting the gates for 1-2-D.

I prefer the Neon shifter because it has a roller detent separate from the gate. So, after cutting the gate it still has a positive feel in each gear. Plus, it's a T-Handle shifter (unlike the original TD shifter with the button on top).

The roller detent is visible in the 2nd pic.

I sketched in red approximately where the original gate was on the Neon shifter. I didn't get any before pictures.

I used a Neon arm on the trans. It uses a different mount from the TD cable.

To mount the neon shifter on the Daytona base plate, I had to drill 2 holes. 1 at the rear for the locating tab, and 1 at the front for the bolt. Only 3 of the 4 Daytona shifter mounts would line up. The 4th mount is under the main body of the Neon shifter - no access. It seems to be fine with only 3 mounting bolts, though.

I removed all of the Neon plastic parts, but you don't have to. Just adapt it to the console in your TD. I converetd my car from 5-speed to auto, so I kept the 5-speed console and made a gate for the shifter out of textured ABS. The original 5-speed boot interfered with the shifter in P and 1. I'm going to put some letters on the plastic gate to indicate the gears.

WVRampage
03-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Looks good and im sure it feels much beter than the stock shifter did.