PDA

View Full Version : other turbos

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-22-2005, 11:28 PM
i got a weird question. now other than whats easily availible for our cars i dont know much about other turbos. are ther turbos from other cars that are bigger or better for a td?

harvii
12-23-2005, 11:31 AM
There are, BUT you'll have to modify your exaust manifold or make an adaptor. Chrysler used a funky bolt patern between the turbo and exaust manifold, that I haven't seen on any other vehicle. If you were able to get your manifold modified I bet you could get a big 16g from a DSM to run close to what a Super 60 does, and it is even smaller than a S60.

Harv

iniviate
12-23-2005, 02:34 PM
i'm using the turbo off a GM 6.5L Diesel.

the turbine housing was threaded, so i just drilled the threads out and it fit right on a standard T3 flange.

it seems to spool good. it's building boost by 2k rpms. it's on a 16 valve motor though.

we'll find out how well it makes power when i get my intercooler piping done here shortly.

8valves
12-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Or you can drill your manifold to accept the standard T3 flange which would allow you to use Turbo Ford turbos, or just about any aftermarket offering, since in most cases one way or another you can get them with a T3 exhaust flange. Then your possibilities are endless.

However, that isn't the easiest method when Turbos Unleashed carries all kinds of offerings from stock rebuilds to mid level performers to all out bad boys like the Tranny Busters dual ball bearing variants. I use a Garrett GT30R dual ball bearing and absolutely love it. The compressor wheel dwarfs the Super 50 I use to run on teh car and has a way better flowing exhaust side, yet it spools exactly the same. On most cars it would do better but because of my cam selection and my parts combo my car is more rev happy, not uber trque like most TD's. Not to mention the reliability of the ball bearing center sections to boot!

I'm sure whatever your goals are that they would have an option for you that would work flawlessly. Just give them a call or shoot them an email and Chris will get you setup up right with no need to modify your stock exhaust manifold! :thumb:

Aaron Miller

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-23-2005, 10:09 PM
thanks for the info guys.

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2005, 10:29 PM
i'm using the turbo off a GM 6.5L Diesel.

the turbine housing was threaded, so i just drilled the threads out and it fit right on a standard T3 flange.

it seems to spool good. it's building boost by 2k rpms. it's on a 16 valve motor though.

we'll find out how well it makes power when i get my intercooler piping done here shortly.

Another one of my ideas I never did. There cheap around here so I was wondering the same thing. Let me know how it works please.

I personally think upgrading to a header with a standard T3 flange is the way to go-as stated, tons of these turbos around and for a very reasonable price. I modified my stocker and ran a stock TIII turbo when I first got my van, loved that turbo. Now running a hybrid and love it also.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-24-2005, 08:13 AM
so a t2 exaust manifold with a t3 flange will adapt tons of other turbos? like what? the reason im asking is im building another budget racer and dont have the $$$ for a new turbo. so im curios what turbos off other veicles are good for racing.

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Garret T3 turbos (that came on the mopar Turbo II cars) have 3 different flanges, standard regtangle bolt pattern (used on Fords), Trapezoid bolt patter - mopars, and volvo's have something different too.

The Turbo III cars used teh standard regtangle bolt pattern, so switching to one of those would allow for more garret T3 options.

A couple A/R sizes and 4 wheel sizes are available for the mopar turbine housing tho.

Whatcha looking to make power wise?

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
well id like to get my omni into the 12's to start. going with a 2.2 c-block havent decided on tranny yet. i thought while the engine is out , why not go over my turbo options.

turbovanmanČ
12-24-2005, 02:58 PM
The stock TII Garret will get you into the 12's, as will a S60 turbo.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-24-2005, 03:03 PM
The stock TII Garret will get you into the 12's, as will a S60 turbo.

i know its a good turbo, but what horse power will it hold? and what if i see 11's in the future. if a stock t-2 will get you into the 12's why ever change it then?

turbovanmanČ
12-24-2005, 03:06 PM
i know its a good turbo, but what horse power will it hold? and what if i see 11's in the future. if a stock t-2 will get you into the 12's why ever change it then?

Because we get greedy, muhahahahahhaa, :lol:

seriously though, a good TII setup, they say, is good for around 260-280HP, so with good traction, an Omni will do it. Other cars, alot harder. If the TII is shot, its a great time to upgrade, the S60 will get you at least 300whp and doesn't require massive mods to bolt on.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
lol, well lets just say i want to 300-400 hp. just cuz i can.

moparzrule
12-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Is this also gonna be a daily driver? My super 70 with .63/stage 1 was pushing 300 WHP, but more was there easily. I hadn't even tried my taft S3 yet, and I never got a chance to put some racing fuel in and run bigger boost. I was running 22 PSI, but I feel the turbo could push 30+. I think I could have maxxed it out around 350 WHP.

87csx2.4
12-24-2005, 05:03 PM
There are a lot more options with the t-3 flange im running the sc6152 which is considered a big turbo but I would prefer it to a hybrid 50 trim anyday for a driver.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Is this also gonna be a daily driver? My super 70 with .63/stage 1 was pushing 300 WHP, but more was there easily. I hadn't even tried my taft S3 yet, and I never got a chance to put some racing fuel in and run bigger boost. I was running 22 PSI, but I feel the turbo could push 30+. I think I could have maxxed it out around 350 WHP.

this is going to be mainly a drag car. but it will be street legal...sort of.

8valves
12-25-2005, 12:56 AM
this is going to be mainly a drag car. but it will be street legal...sort of.

There's a difference between a street car and street legal :evil:

If it's mainly a drag car then I would say you have more options. If money is THAT tight, then sure, boost the hell out of a good T2 turbo and cross your fingers. I wouldn't exactly expect stellar results, but it will get you to your goal of 12's. Beyond that, you probably need to analyze exactly how much cash you have to throw at the car, I've found it's not as simple as some have made it sound to drop a TD from the 12's to the 11's.

Aaron Miller

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-25-2005, 01:33 AM
this car is being built hor the strip. but i will also drive it on the road to scare the hondas once and a while. i want to do it right the first time. so if it takes me a extra year to build this car right than so be it. i just dont want to be pulling it apart every weekend.

moparzrule
12-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Then get a TU header with a standard T3 flange....then your options open up big time.
The best drag turbo for our cars (besides ball bearing of course) seems to be the T3/T4 hybrid with these specs-
57 trim T04E wheel
.60 compressor housing
.63 turbine
stage 3 wheel

This turbo can do 500 WHP.

However, if you want it to be much more streetable a 50 trim in the .50 housing with the .63 stage 2 wheel can accomplish 400 WHP.
Both of those turbo's come readily available with the turbo dodge flange though.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
thanks for all the info guys.

Aries_Turbo
12-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Then get a TU header with a standard T3 flange....then your options open up big time.
The best drag turbo for our cars (besides ball bearing of course) seems to be the T3/T4 hybrid with these specs-
57 trim T04E wheel
.60 compressor housing
.63 turbine
stage 3 wheel

This turbo can do 500 WHP.

However, if you want it to be much more streetable a 50 trim in the .50 housing with the .63 stage 2 wheel can accomplish 400 WHP.
Both of those turbo's come readily available with the turbo dodge flange though.

the compressor map isnt the best on the 57trim and the flow increase isnt that much. the 57trim is likely to surge on a 8v as well.

Brian

moparzrule
12-26-2005, 11:15 PM
the compressor map isnt the best on the 57trim and the flow increase isnt that much. the 57trim is likely to surge on a 8v as well.

Brian

That would be why I said the 50 trim is more streetable, but I gave the 57 trim as an option since he said mostly drag racing. Gary D used the 57 trim in his 10 second reliant too.

Aries_Turbo
12-27-2005, 11:54 AM
right but even when you are racing the 57 trim map still isnt tha good. yes gary used it, yes he ran 10's, yes it worked well. he was on a ported head 2.5 at the time i think and that is less prone to surge. all im saying is that there are much better offerings out there now. http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3026

like these. GT series compressor wheels and great flowing exhaust housings with standard T3 flanges but you can use a chrysler exhaust housing or redrill your manifold.

Brian

moparzrule
12-27-2005, 05:45 PM
right but even when you are racing the 57 trim map still isnt tha good. yes gary used it, yes he ran 10's, yes it worked well. he was on a ported head 2.5 at the time i think and that is less prone to surge. all im saying is that there are much better offerings out there now. http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3026

like these. GT series compressor wheels and great flowing exhaust housings with standard T3 flanges but you can use a chrysler exhaust housing or redrill your manifold.

Brian

You're gonna need a ported head to achieve 350-400 WHP anyway! I don't know if he's using a 2.2 or 2.5, and a 2.2 would surge less.
The Garrett GT series is for those who don't have limited funds, it looks to me like he's on a budget! Sure there's always better turbo's out there, it's just how much you can afford. I usually go for what works for the cheapest.

Aries_Turbo
12-28-2005, 02:00 AM
correct, he is going to need a ported head to get 350+whp at a reasonable boost. Bryan did 337with a stock head but that was with insane boost and it wrecked +4 piston in the end.

the link that i posted for the precision turbos arent that pricy. they do use the more modern GT wheels but they stick with stock garrett T3/T4 everything else making them an amazing bang for the buck. the SC6152E is only around 800$ which is an excellent price for a turbo of that caliber. most can be had for around 700-800$ which isnt much more than what you usually pay for a hybrid anyway if its brand new with all the options and the GT wheels spank the older ones.

the 2.5 will surge less than a 2.2 cause it can "swallow" the air that the turbo puts out.

Brian

Chris W
12-28-2005, 05:07 PM
correct, he is going to need a ported head to get 350+whp at a reasonable boost. Bryan did 337with a stock head but that was with insane boost and it wrecked +4 piston in the end.

the link that i posted for the precision turbos arent that pricy. they do use the more modern GT wheels but they stick with stock garrett T3/T4 everything else making them an amazing bang for the buck. the SC6152E is only around 800$ which is an excellent price for a turbo of that caliber. most can be had for around 700-800$ which isnt much more than what you usually pay for a hybrid anyway if its brand new with all the options and the GT wheels spank the older ones.

the 2.5 will surge less than a 2.2 cause it can "swallow" the air that the turbo puts out.

Brian

Since we now carry GT wheels we can build pretty much any of the Precision turbos at competitive pricing. Just let us know which model you are looking for and we will get you a price.

Chris-TU

Aries_Turbo
12-29-2005, 02:57 AM
^^^ there we go! even better. :)

Brian

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-12-2006, 09:01 PM
well i would love to buy a new or refubished turbo. but i know i will never be able to afford it. this car is being built on a paycheck to paycheck system. mabey some day when i get the gf off my back about droping so much $$$ on my omni i can buy a new one. but for now if there was a turbo in the yard i could yank for $70 that would make me some power that would rule. or... what would it take to make a stock t-3 turn 300-350hp?

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
well i would love to buy a new or refubished turbo. but i know i will never be able to afford it. this car is being built on a paycheck to paycheck system. mabey some day when i get the gf off my back about droping so much $$$ on my omni i can buy a new one. but for now if there was a turbo in the yard i could yank for $70 that would make me some power that would rule. or... what would it take to make a stock t-3 turn 300-350hp?

Your broke, we all are, lol! So port your head, intake and exhaust manifold, or better would be a log header and a ported 2 piece but budget here, then run a large intercooler, find a decent garrett turbo from the log or blow-thru and this should net you 250-280ish. If you want more, get the garrett rebuilt, use a .63 housing and then your getting into expensive territory.

cordes
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM

I can certainly understand the budget aspect of your problem. Here is my list of things which I would do to get an omni into the 12s.

1. TI (with $15 TII compressor cover) or tII turbo.
2. Huge IC Preferably a large NPR
3. the best stickey tires you can afford
4. G-valve and a way to prevent boost cutout.
5. large injectors with an AFPR or a couple of extra injectors and a pressure switch.

I have talked to a guy who worked on a stock TI omni which ran high 12s on nothing more than
+40s, and AFPR, slicks and race gas.

With the l-bodies traction is the name of the game to run fast.

ETA: my list of good cars that I would pull a turbo from.

1. SVO mustang/turbo coupe(85-86)/XRTI4 It is just a tad smaller than the S60 wheel

2. A turbo buick, or www.turbobuick.com in the swap meet section. It is a S70 wheel in it.

You could just pop off the hot side of said turbos, and replace them with the turbine housing from your turbo from what I have read, and you would be good to go.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-13-2006, 12:05 AM
i know it doesnt take much to run an omni into the 12,s. but im going all out anyway.lol. so a turbo coupe turbo will work good? cause there a dime a dosen around here. i know slicks are a MUST. there on the top of the list. this cars going nowhere wit out them. i appreciate all the help guys. but be ready cause ill have more questions down the line.:)

cordes
01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
i know it doesnt take much to run an omni into the 12,s. but im going all out anyway.lol. so a turbo coupe turbo will work good? cause there a dime a dosen around here. i know slicks are a MUST. there on the top of the list. this cars going nowhere wit out them. i appreciate all the help guys. but be ready cause ill have more questions down the line.:)

Yeah, just make sure that you get the garrett turbo out of the TC, as the 87 and 88s used the IHI unit which is nothing short of minute.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 01:24 AM
I'd still like to hear some results from somebody running an HX35 Holset on an 8 valve engine. I've got one and John and I mocked it up on an engine and it will fit, with some creative work on the wastegate actuater rod but I hate to put it together on the chance that it won't spool.

cordes
01-13-2006, 01:28 AM
I'd still like to hear some results from somebody running an HX35 Holset on an 8 valve engine. I've got one and John and I mocked it up on an engine and it will fit, with some creative work on the wastegate actuater rod but I hate to put it together on the chance that it won't spool.

I too am waiting for more results of the newer diesel turbos on our cars. They are relativly hard to come by around here, and from what I am told at the JYs, they would be rather cost prohibitive if purchased localy. Time will tell.

Aries_Turbo
01-13-2006, 02:09 AM
id be afraid of the holset surging if it did come up onto boost..... i guess try it :)

brian

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 02:34 AM
I may end up giving it a try. I've read some encouraging results with the HX35 from the 2.3 turbo Ford guys. Still, there are some obstacles to overcome like clearance for the w/g actuater rod, making the exhaust outlet work, building a support bracket, and routing the plumbing from the compressor outlet. I've already got a ported exhaust manifold that's been drilled and tapped for the correct bolt pattern, so if I can solve the other problems (mainly the exhaust mismatch), I'll give it a try.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Oh, forgot to mention the best part. The HX35 I have is a low mile take-off I got from a friend when he upgraded on his Ram, I had $100 in it.:D

moparzrule
01-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Why not go with the HY35 instead? It's a lot more plentiful and will spool a lot faster, not to mention a lot cheaper!

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 08:52 AM
That probably would be a better bet, and if I could find somebody (within driving distance) that would be willing to trade an HY in similar shape for my HX, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If that doesn't happen, I still may try the HX just to see how it does.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-13-2006, 07:47 PM
can someone tell about the "HX35" and the "HY35" what are they from? do they work on 2.2,s?

GLHSKEN
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I have talked to a guy who worked on a stock TI omni which ran high 12s on nothing more than
+40s, and AFPR, slicks and race gas.

You left off Exhaust... And +40's are not needed to get a "stock GLHS" into the 12's... +20's will do...

Stock everything EXCEPT:

+20's
Stage II cal
18 psi boost
Open 3" exhaust

12.85 @ 109.7

Whoops noticed you said stock TI... No way without an intercooler

Tony Hanna
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
can someone tell about the "HX35" and the "HY35" what are they from? do they work on 2.2,s?

They are from the Cummins diesel Dodge trucks. As I understand it, the HX35 came on the standards and the HY came on the automatics. The HY has a little smaller turbine housing and is generally accepted to be a better match for an 8v engine but I've read of some good results on using the HX from the turboford guys.
To answer your question, they could be made to work on a 2.2 but since there's a lack of people who have tried it, it's still up in the air as to how well they would work.

moparzrule
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM

HX35's came on 94-up manual transmission cummins. The HY35 came on automatics and have a smaller turbine side better suited for 4 cylinder spooling. Also the HX35 has a divided turbine scroll, HY35 is normal.
They have a standard T3 flange, so no they aren't a direct bolt on but you can drill out a stock manifold to get it to fit. I'd recommend a TU header because you can get it with a T3 flange and the large compressor housing will clear the head.

cordes
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
You left off Exhaust... And +40's are not needed to get a "stock GLHS" into the 12's... +20's will do...

Stock everything EXCEPT:

+20's
Stage II cal
18 psi boost
Open 3" exhaust

12.85 @ 109.7

Whoops noticed you said stock TI... No way without an intercooler

hmmm... I guess it seemed believable as he claimed to be running 116 octane, but you would know.:thumb:

moparzrule
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
He would need 20+ PSI non-intercooled and that air is so hot thats gonna equal piston melting no matter what octane! Maybe if he had alky injection.