PDA

View Full Version : restoring interior of 85 shelby

shrapnel
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I am taking apart the interior of a blue/white 85 shelby charger. A few questions if anyone can help:

1.) What is the best paint to use when the white paint for the door locks and hood latch has faded out?

2.) Has anyone tried to paint the door panels (handle surrounding plastic). I know the rigid pieces can be painted as I have seen it on this link, but can the door handles be painted?

That is all for now - I have a lot of work ahead.

minigts
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Well to answer a couple of questions.

1) There are a few paints you can use and purchase at shops that sell paint to body shops and repair places. However, there are also paints you can buy that can be applied with a detail brush that will fill in where the white paint used to be for the arrow and the word lock on the turn knob and anyplace where there are words. I can provide the specifics of this material once I get home. We do screen printing and imprinting and this is the paint we use. It is very durable and will last a LONG time assuming it's applied correctly. I'm sure this is probably what the factory used.

2) Anything that is plastic inside the car can be painted. Be sure to prime the surface well using either a commercial cleaner made to prep plastic surfaces for painting or you can do what I did and use a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. I painted my arm rest a charcoal color and they have not flaked at all or anything like that. The paint doesn't hold up too well to wear though, as I can see the clear has worn off. I applied 2-3 coats of the color and 2-3 coats of the clear. But like I said, no issues with it not adhering to the vinyl and I have also coated a few other pieces as well. So just be sure to prep the surface well and remove as much dirt, grime and anything else attached before you paint. Also a good idea to put a primer on the plastic or vinyl and then the colors and then the clear. That's how I did it, but I'm sure someone else has done it differently.

If you need pictures or anything, let me know.

dds78910
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm restoring a 1981 Omni 024 and I got my paint from Eastwood. They have alot of colors to choose from and you can apply the paint to different kinds of materials like leather and plastic and metals. I got the prep and primer kit they offer, you would belive how easy it is and how well it looks. I tried adding picks but it wouldnt let me attach them, so I'll try later.

dds78910
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Here are some pics of before and after

NeonShowCar
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
What a difference those panels look like after you painted them. Looks like they came out very nice. How much did all of the supplies cost you to do this - if you don't mind me asking?

minigts
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Here are some pictures of the arm rest with a shot to show the color against the dash. Pretty close to me!

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/interior/driver.jpg

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/interior/passenger.jpg

http://www.minigts.com/car/charger/interior/dash.jpg

shrapnel
07-09-2008, 03:53 PM
minigts, first thing I said when I saw your armrest - "that looks f####n good!" I was amazed at how well that came out, you can still see the original plastic mold pattern. It looks like it just came from the factory. Thanks for the info guys. Will look into that eastwood paint.

dds78910
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
What a difference those panels look like after you painted them. Looks like they came out very nice. How much did all of the supplies cost you to do this - if you don't mind me asking?

For 3 cans of paint and the prep kit it was about $45

NeonShowCar
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
For 3 cans of paint and the prep kit it was about $45

Thanks! Would you say that (3) cans would be able to paint all of the plastic trim pieces or would you imagine more?

dds78910
07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I think 5 or 6 can will do it. It took 2 cans to do the pannels on the R/S and I havent dont the door pannel yet. I need to buy a couple more myself cause I need to do the dash also.

minigts
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
When I applied my coats, I used light base coats almost just misting it on giving ample time to dry. Once I couldn't see any more of the original color, I applied heavier coats and did this 2-3 more times. My rationale in doing this was to allow the mist coats to adhere to the plastic better in smaller surface areas. Whenever I have painted heavy coats from the beginning on metal, it seems as though the paint can flake off because the paint drys in larger areas and not allowing for bonding to the surface.

I have no idea if this has any merit, but it is holding up so I would assume this method is viable. :)

shrapnel
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Minigts, what did you use for a clearcoat of the Plastic? I was on the Eastwood site the other nite and saw all of the paints(dyes) that were mentioned, but I did not see any clear coats on that site.

minigts
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
There is a paint store here in Memphis that carries all different types of paint. I don't remember the brand off hand, but I can find out. I would check with body shops in your area and see where they get their paint. Chances are you will be able to find someone who can either match whatever color you want and have the clear to go with it.

Dusty_Duster
07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Interior paint is specifically designed to paint on plastic and vinyl without priming. Additionally, it dyes vinyl, so it will not flake off. Summit Racing sells interior paints in the various colors used in Chrysler interiors.

minigts
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Well they sell a vinyl paint primer or adhesive where I get my stuff, so I used it. With the armrest, I didn't want to chance anything as I have only "dyed" a couple of hard plastic pieces and it wore down back to the original color, black. So far I have had good fortune with what I have changed colors on so far. Next is to do the interior sails and fix the dry rot on the edges close to the doors. Not sure if I can or if it is worth it, but I'm going to try regardless.