PDA

View Full Version : how much are 88 csx-t's worth?

1badgvr4
07-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I have an ok condition csx driver that I wanted to sell.What do they go for.I know depending on condition but I need kinda of a ballpark number.

Anonymous_User
07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
The CSXT's seem to be the least desired (money wise) of the numbered cars. Basket case rebuilders fetch around 600-1000 depending on rust. Running cars with all original parts should see twice that.

Excellent restorations or low mileage survivors? Haven't seen one.

badandy
07-03-2008, 08:46 AM
In good shape they can fetch 3k...I'm sure mint can get much more.

WickedShelby88
07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
there are few here and there right now for sale or otherwise and the high dollar on those isn't quite 2k. I'm really not quite sure why they would be the least desirable either. You don't see the GT350H being worth less. Actually I think they go for more..

badandy
07-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Somewhere on here there is the NADA book values. See if you can find it as the "T's" are worth more than you think...just not anything close to the rest of the pack. I could care less to be honest...it's what it's worth to me that matters:nod:

1badgvr4
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Ill prob put it up for 1700 just to let it go quickly.

glhs571
07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
The value of anything is based upon how much someone is willing to spend. If you sell you car for 10k, then its worth 10k. Basically ask for more than what you want when selling a car. And dont rely too much on listed car values.

1badgvr4
07-03-2008, 05:46 PM
As long as I get a least 1500 for it I could care less.

ljbprrfmof
07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
If you are willing to settle for 1500 then start out asking 2000 and allow a little wiggle room for the buyer.

1badgvr4
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Yea thats prob whats going to happen.Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous_User
07-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".
Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".
High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

Low Retail: 1925
Average Retail: 3200
High Retail: 6975

Anonymous_User
07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Average Retail for '89 CSX w/Recaro: 7586
Average Retail for '87 CSX: 5175

ljbprrfmof
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
A follower of the same path as I. What was your source, the condition descriptions looks like Old Cars, although they use the grades 1 to 5. And was your 1st pricing example for a CSX-T?

And to think people casually strip and crush these cars if they cannot find a buyer quick enough.

WickedShelby88
07-04-2008, 02:46 AM
A follower of the same path as I. What was your source, the condition descriptions looks like Old Cars, although they use the grades 1 to 5. And was your 1st pricing example for a CSX-T?

And to think people casually strip and crush these cars if they cannot find a buyer quick enough.

Those people are the same ones killing our economy.. too impatient to let things follow through. They suck at golf too darn it. I noticed that was retail.. One thing that I've found true with car lots and retail.. They sure do know how to blow most any buyer out of the water.. For what I don't know.. I guess so they can make 4500 on this car they got at the auction for 500 that nobody knew what it was... ;)

BadAssPerformance
07-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Those people are the same ones killing our economy.. too impatient to let things follow through. ....

Economy, I'm confused? I hate to see a good car get crushed as much as the next guy but if someone parts out and junks a car and makes as much (or more) money off it as they would selling it whole, when everyone says "I want to buy that car" but nobody "shows them the money", then the ecomony will probably fair better from it being parted than if it sinks in the mud behind someones house.

WickedShelby88
07-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Your exactly right. Whats good for the economy isn't good for the preservation of old stuff... usually.. A diesel locomotive from say 1974 is a good example. It did its job for a while and people want to see it on the rails but whos got the money to keep something that uses nearly twice as much fuel to do the same task a modern does.. I do tend to get overly animated about things I have no control over... Hmm guess you could say I have issues..

ljbprrfmof
07-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I have the same issues. These cars were built to be special and should be treated that way. Locomotives are tools and you replace a tool when it wears out.

I understand there will be natural attrition of these cars. I do not understand the need to speed that cycle up simply because a person changed his mind about a project and wants it out of his way.

DC Turismo
07-06-2008, 02:33 AM
As was mentioned, NADA values are nice to look at, but most of the time it depends on what people are willing to spend, not what that book says. A lot of times on eBay and Autotrader, even Car Corrals at showfields, people list these cars by the NADA book and in many people eyes it is a bit high/unreasonable. Best example : the 89 CSX that is still for sale in North Dakota or something. Guy wants $20k for it and it only has 44 miles on it, yes 44. You don't see anyone in the community jumping at the chance to buy a nearly 20 year old car 'brand new' do we?

To give you a fair answer though, you need to post pics in order to get a ballpark and also provide a more detailed description of the car. That'd be your best bet.

SpiritedShelbys
07-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Yea but Billy this car with 44 miles is guaranteed to suffer from all the problems that typically plague our cars given enough exposure to outdoor elements even if it is a showcar, the paint won't last very long. If it really hasn't been prepped for long term storage, dry valve seals, rings rust to cyl walls and break, stale gas emulsifying in the tank and lines clogging injectors. IMO it would be miraculous if this car is a turn-key driver/show car. And in absolute unfiltered honesty there just aren't that many true "purists" in this community who will spend that kind of coin. Cool cars and lots of fun regardless but the birthday car didn't even go for decent money and that was absolutely shameful. Deal of a century doesn't quite do justice to what was actually paid for that car.

jckrieger
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd say a good, rust-free running CSX-T with decent paint is worth about $1500. If it has a rusty floor, about $600.

BadAssPerformance
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
It all depends how complete it is, a complete but rusty CSXT is worth more than $600 in parts!

SpiritedShelbys
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
A parts car should be worth about 1500.... um in parts that is. LOL I might even be too conservative since I'm only thinking about the easy shelby specific stuff. If you suffer an attack of conscience and want to sell it to someone who will restore it you might take less. IMO a "T" car should be between 1000-3500 realistically. Higher prices for real collectors and sterling examples.

MNmopar
07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
"...a complete but rusty CSXT is worth more than $600 in parts!"

Most things are worth more part by part than as a whole though.

It all depends on who the person is that has the money to spend. If they are a mechanic and see it that way, then you may get that for it.

On the flip side of that, the sad fact is that to the general public, a rusted out "shadow" as they would probably call it, isn't worth too much.

Eye of the beholder...

jckrieger
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
The CSX-T I'm selling was 100% complete and driveable... it was on the market for a couple months listed at either $750 or $900 and nobody would buy it. I ended up picking it up just because I thought it'd be a novel idea to have an 87 and an 88 CSX.

Anonymous_User
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I bought my 110% rust free T as a complete basket case for $600. Missing the valve cover and the center caps for the LeMans wheels.

And when I say complete basket case I mean it. Some teenager had thoughts of grandeur that he was going to build an award wining show car. He proceeded to disassemble EVERYTHING and then realized he didn't have a job to pay for his dreams.

I've seen some beautiful specimens that seemed to be priced right - 1500-2500 - that never seem to sell.

If you respect the car, sell it for what you can get. If you want the $$, part it out. Sad, but true.

WickedShelby88
07-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Its not even worth the time to part it for that little amount though unless your hard up for cash. Heck in the overall scheme of things 1000 dollars or in that area for a car is nothing unless you live scarcely above poverty level like me.

SpiritedShelbys
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Oh I don't know about all this noise. I wouldn't call the "T's" worthless and they've got MASSIVE potential. I've owned one of all the SD cars and I'll tell you this, it's white and easy to keep clean, cheap and flakes paint at more expensive stuff, reliable, cheap to mod to T-2, still reliable, handles great, stops well, and if you lower 'em it looks terrific! Weather-stripping is tough to come by though.. one of these days "our" supporting vendors will get the hint.. then again... maybe not. Shelby specific parts intact or not who gives a damn? I doubt you'll worry about pulling up to a stoplight and see another one and at $5 bucks per gallon...how are these cars bad? Maybe these cars will be a little more sought after now, what 20 freakin years later... Shelby was sooooooo far off course with small displacement performance cars wasn't he?

badandy
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
This cracks me up. I see the same people tauting how the book values of our cars (as a whole) are going up saying they would *maybe* pay some pathetic amount for a T in good shape. Now before anyone gets upset I'm not pointing fingers or calling out...I'm am simply stating fact.

jckrieger
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
This cracks me up. I see the same people tauting how the book values of our cars (as a whole) are going up saying they would *maybe* pay some pathetic amount for a T in good shape. Now before anyone gets upset I'm not pointing fingers or calling out...I'm am simply stating fact.

Hmm, this sounds like a challenge! Did somebody say "put your CSX-T on ebay?"

ljbprrfmof
07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Now didn't we just watch an Omni GLH sell on ebay for more than what was asked on this forum or the TD forum?

Here, I challenge thee to an ebay auction!

CSX321
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Do you know the production number? Or the engine serial number?

WickedShelby88
07-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Ebay the land of some who will destroy what they have purchased. If you don't care what happens to it go for it. As for me the shadow is one of those cars I've never owned but after driving one I wouldn't pass up the right opportunity and IMO the CSX's 87-88 are the best looking shadows ever made. Too bad the 88 seems to be the least desirable..

Marcus86GLHS
07-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Dave L. of MA shelled out about 8 grand (as i recall..might have been more) for a 1988 CSXT two years ago, car was beautiful w/ 1,700 miles, so these cars can get high dollars.....and he drives and enjoys this car.

SpiritedShelbys
07-11-2008, 02:15 PM

I've got to say that restoring a $600 car that's missing everything will eventually cost more in the long term than buying one that's already there for less. Being cheap initially is like a finance period, yes it costs less up front but you're going to get there eventually in time and untold dollars...

Anonymous_User
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Dave L. of MA shelled out about 8 grand (as i recall..might have been more) for a 1988 CSXT two years ago, car was beautiful w/ 1,700 miles, so these cars can get high dollars.....and he drives and enjoys this car.

Where the hell do you find a rental car with only 1700 miles??!!??

Marcus86GLHS
07-12-2008, 06:31 AM
"........Where the hell do you find a rental car with only 1700 miles??!!??........."

where else?
ebay.
that's where he found it.
i posted pix of this car here many times.

SpiritedShelbys
07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I saw that car.. it really is a nice car. I'm glad it went to a good home. It was easily the nicest CSX-T I've ever seen err in the pictures, lol.

badandy
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmm, this sounds like a challenge! Did somebody say "put your CSX-T on ebay?"
Nope, no they didn't...and unless I had some really bad circumstances you will never find one of my cars on ebay. I almost always sell one of my cars to my friends instead of trying to squeeze top dollar out of them. I would rather see them live on than in the wrong hands. I like knowing where my old cars are...and all are with good friends:love:

jckrieger
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Nope, no they didn't...and unless I had some really bad circumstances you will never find one of my cars on ebay. I almost always sell one of my cars to my friends instead of trying to squeeze top dollar out of them. I would rather see them live on than in the wrong hands. I like knowing where my old cars are...and all are with good friends:love:

Heh, I sold my old 83 Shelby Charger to a friend many years ago. The starter went bad so he decided to junk it. Luckily I got the car back and it was used as my frist carb-to-turbo project.

I've never sold any of my cars on ebay either, as the local crowd will usually pay more than the enthusiats, and the salvage yard will give more for cars in poor shape.

WickedShelby88
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah but the salvage yard deserves just that.. Salvage. Not something with the shelby name sake associated to it.

jckrieger
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah but the salvage yard deserves just that.. Salvage. Not something with the shelby name sake associated to it.

Exactly. That's why all my G bodies went to the salvage yard :)