PDA

View Full Version : What rear calipers for 88csx-t??

Username
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm having trouble finding rear calipers for my 88csx-t. I checked 89 shadows, daytonas, and lebarons. The daytonas are way off, and the lebarons and shadows look similar but have a different kind of hardware on them. They have a metal sleeve that a bolt goes through, where mine just has a rubber sleeve with a thin plastic insert for the bolt to go through kind of like the kelsey hayes set up but with 2 bolts. Anyone know what clipers I need? Thanks alot.

supercrackerbox
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
They are more or less specific to the '87/'88 CSXs. I don't know what was on the '89. The closest setup out there is the '89-up P, G, and J bodies with the non-vented rear discs, but like you said, the mounting hardware is different. And being that it is, the backing plate is also different, due to the different threads on the mounting bolts. So basically, you can either have your current calipers rebuilt, or swap over the backing plates along with the later style calipers.

Luckily, the internal hardware and shoes for the parking brake will all swap over, and if replacing the rear discs, parts for the LeBaron/others work.

WickedShelby88
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I thought the CSX's used a mix between the 87-88 style J,G etc. and the 89 up.

supercrackerbox
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
No, the '87-'88 style that came on the Daytonas is off on their own. Rather than having the parking brake be a small drum setup inside the rotor, they used a cable operated brake incorporated into the caliper.

The only real difference between the CSX brakes and the '89-up factory brakes is the mounting hardware for the calipers.

Username
07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Well that kind of sucks. Thanks for the info though, at least I don't have to waste anymore time having parts people pull a bunch of calipers for me to look at.

Juggy
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
try to order rear brake parts from an 89 lancer shelby, non vented!

maybe the 89 daytona rear disk non vented will work as well??

supercrackerbox
07-09-2008, 11:49 PM
The Lancer Shelby and Daytona have the same ones as mentioned above, with the different mounting pins.

WickedShelby88
07-10-2008, 02:31 AM
With all this confusion I think I'm just gonna swap to the big rear disc setup as there are too cars in my local yard right now with what I need.

Juggy
07-10-2008, 07:15 AM
With all this confusion I think I'm just gonna swap to the big rear disc setup as there are too cars in my local yard right now with what I need.

dude, I just told you what you needed!!!!
too bad you werent closer, id swap ya 89 vented, for non vented!

WickedShelby88
07-11-2008, 01:21 AM
What I'm getting as is I have an 88 lancer, an 89 GTC p-valve and an extra hub from my 88 Shelby Z so I just need a few items from the donor car like the backing plates and the calipers for a core and another hub. I will be getting vented big disc off these cars.

supercrackerbox
07-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Okay, yeah as far as I know, all the vented rear disc stuff is the same.

The thing with the CSX and CSXT is that a lot of parts on the Whittier built cars were more or less prototype parts, and Chrysler often changed a few things before releasing them on their cars.