PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum siezed

Anonymous_User
07-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Unloaded the '86 Shelby Charger from the trailer today and the left rear tire stopped turning. Had to use the tractor to drag the car off.

It appears the brake is hung up. I know we didn't push the brake pedal or the parking brake. Car will roll forward with effort, but drags the wheel backwards.

I jacked the car up, pulled the wheel and went to town with a bid deadblow hammer. With a six foot bar on the lug studs I can just barely rotate the wheel forward but not backward.

I'm at a loss on how to remove the drum. I NEED to roll this car this week to get it up my driveway (steep) and into my garage!!!

1.) Vice grips on e-brake cable near drum and tap towards drum? Cable appears to have slack.

2.) Try to loosen adjuster from back side?

3.) Will the torch help out at all? It feels like the brake is engaged, don't know if heat would help anything.

4.) ??????

raccoon
07-01-2008, 01:54 AM
BFH?

If the auto adjuster isn't foobar (rusted) you might be able to back the shoes off.

Just a idea, Cut the pins that hold the shoes in place then remove the hub and brakes, ect.

Oh almost forgot, my favored trick for this, 2 really big screw drivers prying plus a BFH.

Anonymous_User
07-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I used a BFH, but a deadblow so as not to damage anything.

Prying always ends up with a damaged backplate.

Cutting the pins. . .

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

Brilliant!

looneytuner
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
PB Blaster through adjuster hole, cut pins, back off adjuster, try wiggling the shoes up and down through adjuster hole. I think that's what I did. Pry front then rear of drum and work it off.

Turbodave
07-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Did you remove the hub nut before trying to pull the drum off?

Anonymous_User
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Did you remove the hub nut before trying to pull the drum off?

At this point I haven't tried to remove the drum, I only tried to roll the car. I had no time to play with it on Tuesday.

WickedShelby88
07-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry she was booby trapped.. May be the rear wheel bearings having a bad day. Thats my thoughts. I towed it on a dolly from Des Plaines to my old place about a half hour from my new one than from there using the same dolly to the storage lot where she sat. Probably not the brakes unless something came apart in there. Either way hope it works out okay. I can hook you up with some tona big drums if you need.

Anonymous_User
07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
It really feels like the brake is hung up. :confused2: Very strange indeed. Something must be loose in there and it grabbed when I pushed the car backwards. Two more days of work and then I'm off for 17 days, so I'm sure I'll figure it out!!

Must stay focused and get the Z back on the road first, but damn, that SC looks nice sitting in the yard. :)

WickedShelby88
07-02-2008, 01:55 AM
She sure is purty isn't she.. May be able to come out your way during those 17 days if sir lancelot comes back to life for me okay.

Anonymous_User
07-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Got the drum off.

I pulled the nut off the hub and pulled the outer bearing. Didn't help any.

I tried to adjust the adjuster from behind without any luck.

I ground off the pins

Then it started raining. Really raining. I was still working in the drive, so I hurriedly put my tools away and fired up the tractor to pull the SC back to its resting place. As soon as I moved backwards (hub nut still off) the wheel began to come off. I stopped immediately, jacked it up, and pulled the wheel, still attached to the hub, off the car.

From the looks of things, the adjuster is rusted badly. Where the rear shoe's 'frame' slides into the adjuster's 'fork' was seized by rust. So, it looks like pulling the car backwards off the trailer somehow pulled the rear shoe out enough to stop the wheel from turning. Then it could not slide back in due to the rust build up. Some PB blaster and more deadblow hammer and the car at least rolls.

I can now get the SC to the top of MY driveway and focus on the Z for now.

WickedShelby88
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Good god.. Last thing you guys need is RAIN!