PDA

View Full Version : is white the worst for paint peel?

raccoon
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I just washed my car for the first time this year and lost about 30% of the paint. its almost completely gray now. :lol:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8311/dscf7057py9.jpg

Mopar318
06-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Scuff, and shoot some tractor paint.:thumb:

Turbo_Rampage
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
It seems to me that the white cars inluding early Neons were the worst for paint peel, but i have no idea why only the white cars got it so bad...

crazymadbastard
07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Someone at chrysler screwed up and ordered interior wall paint, covered it up and now we are paying for it.
^that truck is NASTY!! :thumb:

Turbodave
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
White does seem the worst.

From what I've been told certain colors are worse because they allow more UVrays through the paint oxidizing the primer which allows the paint to de-laminate.

BadAssPerformance
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
White FTL!!

I buy the UV story... kinda like albino kids get the worst sunburn? :D

Captain Chaos
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
White FTL!!

I buy the UV story... kinda like albino kids get the worst sunburn? :D

Yep. My parents painted me black as a youth, only to have it peel right off. Then in the 80's they came out with pills you could take for a suntan that made you black.:o

86Shelby
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
White does seem the worst.

From what I've been told certain colors are worse because they allow more UVrays through the paint oxidizing the primer which allows the paint to de-laminate.

Partially true. The other key ingredient to the puzzle is the primer itself and how they changed the mix. Ever notice how the light colors peel easily once you get to the late 80s...then the darker colors start to peel more when you get to the mid 90s? The primer had been messed with to try to get rid of the peeling, only to have the problem shift to darker colors instead.

I can't say that I've noticed any white Rams, Intrepids, etc with peeling paint. Green, burgundy, black, grey(the ugly shiney primer grey); those are everywhere. This is especially prevelant on mid 90s GM trucks.