PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe, one last time.

Big_P
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Did a search and couldn't find any pictures.

Head's off the car, I was wondering where to install my Autometer EGT probe. I hear that the #4 runner is the best but I'm deathly afraid of installing it and it hits the starter. This is an 89 TI engine with a bathtub head.

Pictures, please!

Thanks everyone.

Tony Hanna
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Awww CRAP!!!
You just reminded me, We just put the head back on my car Saturday and I was planning to move my egt probe from the downpipe to the manifold while it was off and completely forgot about it.:mad:

Big_P
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
you're welcome.

Tony Hanna
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
LOL, oh well, I have a strange feeling the head will be coming back off soon anyway.

On the subject of egt probe location, did you do a search on TD? I posted the same question over there a few years ago and the thread ended up with some pretty good pictures. I'll see if I can locate it.

Tony Hanna
06-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Well I found the thread, but most of the pictures are gone.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f16/106390-clamp-style-egt-probe-1.html

Somebody here has gotta have a pic of where they installed the probe.

inmyshadow
06-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I used the 4th cylinder on my shadow without problems. I never had to worry about hitting the starter.

Only problem is replacing the probe. It would probably be easier to have the manifold threaded for the probe. My probe failed and it was nearly impossible to replace it. Even with the tranny removed , it was tough.

later

MiniMopar
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I put it into the driver's side of #4 without any clearance issues. I'd probably have to remove the turbo coolant line to get the probe out, but that's no biggie. I've been intending to move the probe to the collector though and after the tech session last week I will definitely do so. Don't know if I will be drilling into the turbo housing, though.

mock_glh
06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
The driver's side of the collector is the easiest place to put it. I recently did an in-car installation of one in an L-body. I merely had to move the oil and water lines out of the way so I could see what I was doing. Drill, tap, install.:)

My96z
06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Drivers side of #4 runner, one inch from the head. No lines in the way. Mine is a autometer with a clamp. Installed while it was on the van. Works well.

My head is off waiting for my hybrid to come in, tomorrow after work I will snap a pic for you.

Jeff

MopàrBCN
07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi, this is where mine goes to. perfect location for easy access and installation. No interference with nothing...

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7483/egtposnm4.jpg

cordes
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
I put it into the driver's side of #4 without any clearance issues. I'd probably have to remove the turbo coolant line to get the probe out, but that's no biggie. I've been intending to move the probe to the collector though and after the tech session last week I will definitely do so. Don't know if I will be drilling into the turbo housing, though.

+1 after the tech session, I will be putting mine in the collector at the least when the head is off next. When I look at the turbo on the head to see the clearance with everything I will see if I want to put it in the turbine housing. That certainly sounds like it would be ideal though.

johnl
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
+1 after the tech session, I will be putting mine in the collector at the least when the head is off next. When I look at the turbo on the head to see the clearance with everything I will see if I want to put it in the turbine housing. That certainly sounds like it would be ideal though.

Yep, there were some jewels in that session. First, the idea of putting the egt probe, no less than 1/8 NPT, in the center of the turbo's center section. Second, the importance of centering the probe's tip in the flow. Third, the importance of a long pull while dragging the brakes in a tall gear to get a true sustained EGT reading (what was the technical term Dave used?) as opposed to a flash peak reading. Then the polite disagreement over EGT alone vs EGT and A/F as the best way to tune . . .

moparzrule
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I always put it in the number 4 runner about an inch from the head. But I don't think it matters much at all as long as it's centered in the port as mentioned earlier.
I've had the probe in 3 different locations, and all had the same EGT reading.

Big_P
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Minimopar, I did exactly what you did, however the probe just about touches the other side of the port, hmm.... There's not really a way around it.

cordes
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Minimopar, I did exactly what you did, however the probe just about touches the other side of the port, hmm.... There's not really a way around it.

It should be a compression style fitting so there should be some room to move it. If not, you might have to play with how you have it in there some.

moparzrule
07-06-2008, 06:50 AM
It should be a compression style fitting so there should be some room to move it. If not, you might have to play with how you have it in there some.

Yeah but once you crank it down normally when you take it back out the fitting doesn't move anymore. You have to carefully cut it off without hitting the probe, and buy a new fitting at home depot or whatever in the plumbing section.

I've seen the autometer once though, it's not a compression fitting. It just have a ring and the probe gets inserted until it bottoms on that ring then tightened down. Autometer sucks IMO, I try not to buy that crap.

My96z
07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
:confused: I am running a autometer EGT probe.

Mine had a ring to where you can adjust the depth of the probe. you set it to where you want it and tighten down the ring with a allen key. Said to put it in the middle 3rd of the port.

Big_P
07-06-2008, 12:02 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/petepete86/everything624.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/petepete86/everything625.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/petepete86/everything626.jpg

epic fail.

cordes
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know that I would call that epic, but I do agree that it most certainly is fail. You need to do what Matt suggested and try to cut off that cap that holds the probe in and then go to HD and get the fittings to use it compression style.

If you make it FUBAR you can supposedly get new ones for about $15 (or at least that is what the chryco guys are paying for them) from temprel. www.temprel.com Call them up and they should have whatever you need.

moparzrule
07-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Why are you putting the probe in the side anyway? If you come up from underneath the port is taller than it is wide and you shouldn't have any clearance issues like that.

moparzrule
07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
:confused: I am running a autometer EGT probe.

Mine had a ring to where you can adjust the depth of the probe. you set it to where you want it and tighten down the ring with a allen key. Said to put it in the middle 3rd of the port.

Which line of autometer? I ran the sport comp series once, I've never seen one with an allen key :confused:

My96z
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Mine is a ultra-lite. It seems to work well and has a quick response. I can tell the difference between cals! lol

This is looking throught the turbine flange you can see how its pretty well centered in the port:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/My96z/EGTprobe1.jpg

This is how its mounted. You can see the collar and the allen screw on the top and the ceramic washer to seal it all up:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/My96z/EGTprobe2.jpg

Mike M
07-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I use an Autometer non-compression style EGT gauge. Drilled and tapped the bottom of #4 right about 1" from the head. I used some brass washers I had laying around to space the probe out a bit so it was centered better. Worked great, no clearance issues at all.

With my TU cast manifold I did the exact same thing but the clearance is... much tighter to the starter... it still fits though.

No need to put down the non-compression style. I really like mine, and doesn't look as goofy as a clamp.