PDA

View Full Version : Pics wanted of CSX rad/ic

Anonymous_User
06-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Does anyone have good pics of an '87 CSX IC and/or radiator? I'm specifically interested in pics of the radiator and the assorted bracketry.

I know the IC I have is definitely an '87 CSX piece and from what I can tell, the radiator must be the match for the IC. What I don't know is how the radiator attaches to the car and how either piece attaches at the bottom.

tryingbe
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Drill holes, get bolts, nuts, sheet metal bracket, whatever it takes.

Turbodave
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
They should attach at the bottom with pins into a rubber bushing, just like a Daytona. On the tops they attach at the sides so there should be a J shaped bracket on the rad into which a rubber bushing fits that lets you bolt it to the core support.

MiniMopar
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you have the rad and IC but no brackets? Yeah, the lower bracket is what provides the pin for the bushing that seats in the core support. The upper bracket just connects the two halves as the IC itself has the provisions for the upper bushing. I don't have any detailed pics of the lower bracket but if you have a stock P-body radiator, it should be easy to see where the backet needs to place the bushing.

CSX173
06-30-2008, 11:57 AM
The radiator has 2 fasteners that attach to brackets which attach to the IC. These fasteners are internal hex (allen wrench) style. They are countersunk. there are also 2 fasteners per bracket which attach the 2 brackets to the radiator. These are also internal hex, but are cap style screws, and are not countersunk. The IC has the slot for the rubber bushing which mounts to the core support on the dr. side. The pass side is directly on the rad. Thre are 2 pins on the bottom which go into rubber bushings which just sit in 2 holes in the core support. So, only 2 bolts actually hold the entire assembly in place. I have pics at home, but that does you no good right now. I will look for these pics and send them via PM later. But, remind me, so I will do so if you still need them. They even have some dimensions, as I took lots of pics to have my Griffin rad made for this situation. It is also 3/4" thicker, for a much cooler ride at 75+ mph for hours in the 90+ degree Summer heat with the A/C on.

tryingbe
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
CSX173, you have a custom Griffin radiator? How much did it cost?

Anonymous_User
07-01-2008, 02:08 AM
The radiator has 2 fasteners that attach to brackets which attach to the IC. These fasteners are internal hex (allen wrench) style. They are countersunk.

Exactly like a G-body

there are also 2 fasteners per bracket which attach the 2 brackets to the radiator. These are also internal hex, but are cap style screws, and are not countersunk.

Exactly like a G-body

The IC has the slot for the rubber bushing which mounts to the core support on the dr. side.

This is what my IC has.

The pass side is directly on the rad.

There is nothing on my radiator for a pass side rubber bushing. Doesn't appear to have ever been there. Positive this is a permanent part of the radiator?

Thre are 2 pins on the bottom which go into rubber bushings which just sit in 2 holes in the core support.

No pins on the IC or Rad. Are these integral to the IC/Rad or part of a bracket?

So, only 2 bolts actually hold the entire assembly in place. I have pics at home, but that does you no good right now. I will look for these pics and send them via PM later. But, remind me, so I will do so if you still need them. They even have some dimensions, as I took lots of pics to have my Griffin rad made for this situation.

GAHHH I really need pics. If you find them, post them up!!

1985ShlbyChrger
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Here is the only pic I could find of my CSX rad/ic, and it's in my Shadow. Mine was not like the ones they have posted about. Mine did not have the G body like bracketry. Mine had a rail between the radiator and intercooler that kind of slid over each other and clamped together with I believe 2 bolts. Then the radiator and intercooler itself both had the mounting tabs on it. You can see them in this picture. I will keep digging for my other pics, I know I had some from when I sold it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/88shadow/DSC00921.jpg

MiniMopar
07-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Snapped these with the camera phone the other day. Hopefully it helps.

Anonymous_User
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Snapped these with the camera phone the other day. Hopefully it helps.

First pic, is that bracket permanently attached to the radiator? Like welded or brazed?

Brackets do look different than G-body

Can't tell by the bottom pics if the pins are integral to the radiator/IC or if they are on a bracket bolted to the assembly.

*sigh*

I'll see if I can snap pics of mine and maybe someone can tell me wtf is up with it.

MiniMopar
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
First pic, is that bracket permanently attached to the radiator? Like welded or brazed?

Brackets do look different than G-body

That may be true. If memory serves, there are two posts welded to the rail that runs along the bottom of the core. Just like the way the top bracket mounts. The only bracket brazed to the radiator tank is the upper-passenger mount.

Can't tell by the bottom pics if the pins are integral to the radiator/IC or if they are on a bracket bolted to the assembly.

Like the radiator, the only bracket welded to the IC is the upper one. The pin is part of the lower bracket, which is the thing with the 3 holes in it in the last pic.

It will be coming out at some point anyway, so if I have a chance in the next day or two I'll snap some more pics for you.

Anonymous_User
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
OK, after looking closely at my radiator, I can see where the passenger bracket SHOULD be brazed on. I think I can fabricate one. Really could use some good pics of the lower bracket.