PDA

View Full Version : Brakes feel spongy and fade..

shrapnel
06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
brakes are done. New calipers, rotors, hoses, and pads. I re-packed the rear bearings and new seals on the rear drums just for the hell of it. Might as well get both done while I am at it. I went to break in the pads, so I repeatedly drove up to 55-60 mph, then broke fairly hard down to 30 mph. I did this 7-8 times as best as I could with traffic. When I came to a stop, the pads were smoking a bit and the pedal felt spongy. The brakes started to fade after that and I had to push harder on the pedal to stop. It was not as crisp as before. Maybe the pads need more time to set on the rotors? If it does not change, I will bleed the fronts once more. This happened to anyone?

Reaper1
06-27-2008, 08:58 PM
This is normal for bedding in pads...at least it is for me! I usually keep doing it until I have to put the pedal to the floor to stop, then I drive very slowly to let them cool down for a bit. Afterwards, when you park it, make sure to move the car forwards and backwards so the pads and the rotors are never in one spot for a long period of time. Once they cool down, then you need to bleed them again as you just boiled the fluid in the calipers. After that, you should be good to go!