PDA

View Full Version : I think we all owe a HUGE thanks to......

sy2206
06-25-2008, 08:24 PM
....Barry and Craig, along with all the other people who helped get SDAC-18 set-up!!! I know you guys put in a ton of time and effort to make this all happen. You guys do all the work, so all of us can just show up and have a good time.

Please don't think it goes un-noticed!

Thank you guys!!!!!

Mark Christofferson

Keito
06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Yep, like I said in the other thread, thanks to the Great Lakes chapter for feeding us at the car show and for Frank/Ken,(Turbo-Mopar) for the
great meal @ hospitality night.
Had a great time and hope to see everyone in Cincy!

Captain Chaos
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
While I've yet to have the opportunity to attend one of these I do want to thank you for all you do for our hobby in general. Thank you.

Russ Jerome
06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
....Barry and Craig, along with all the other people who helped get SDAC-18 set-up!!!

I dont know about that......must be EZ because every time I
go to an SDAC even it's perfectly placed and I have a great
time :)

A buddy and I were walking the Chrysler museum (like 5 minutes
away from the host hotel) and we were in awe. I remember he
and I saying that alone was worth the trip from Milwaukee.

Barry may not remember but the very first thing I said when
leaving the museum was "Well Barry another perfect location
and a great time, cant wait for next year". Barry always seams
to be juggeling 80 things in his head when in the middle of a
function, MoparBoy and myself causing havoc in the hotel Pre
reg halway area Sat eve comes to mind........

jaysshelby
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with everyone else who has posted, Great job by Barry, Craig and all the sponsors. Had a great time.

cordes
06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I had a great time, and already can't wait for next year. Thank you so much!

CSX173
06-26-2008, 06:07 AM
I must say that next year, I will endeavour to take more time off of work to attend more of the events. I have been to Memphis, Newark, Waukegan (Chicago), and now my new home in the D. They all have been great fun. I need to stop juggling 4-5 hobbies and focus on one. Then, I could possibly make a contribution as well. This is a great forum and a bunch of great people. Even if you do shun my CSX convertible... : ) Wished I had the time to go to the hotel and chat over a few brewskis. But, I had my daughter up on Summer visitation and she isn't into that kind of thing, being she is only 10. Maybe by SDAC 20 I will have my side business up and running and I can help poor Barry and the gang out. Thanks a bunch guys. I never thought there would be such a dedicated following of these cars when I bought #173 (Now, a 2 time SDAC winner) new in 1987. Now, maybe I should pick up that Dakota convertible I saw the other day for sale in Pontiac..... Hmmmm...... Shelby Dakota convertible???? LOL.

BadAssPerformance
06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Thank you guys!!!!!

:thumb:

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Barry may not remember but the very first thing I said when
leaving the museum was "Well Barry another perfect location
and a great time, cant wait for next year". Barry always seams
to be juggeling 80 things in his head when in the middle of a
function, MoparBoy and myself causing havoc in the hotel Pre
reg halway area Sat eve comes to mind........ I do recall you saying that at the museum, I don't recall the havoc in the hallway :clap:

I think the two car show locations that will stand out the most in memory will both be the Detroit ones. The air museum for SDAC-10 and this one for the museum. I really liked it also.

Thanks Russ and everyone else for the kind words. We aim to please!
:thumb:

Barry

MiniMopar
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Thank you guys for a great time! I can't even imagine how much time and effort goes into one of these. You guys are the best! Location was great and the hotel was SWEET!

neonkitten63
06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes A HUGE thanks to Barry and Craig for all the hard work you put into SDAC in general. We really appreciate all you do!

Thank you and see you next year!! :)

mcsvt
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Had an awesome time, great people and great events.

Thanks guys :thumb:

335glhs87
06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
YES, THANK YOU guys, u did a fabulous job planning, and locations. I hope we see it here again. Us boys from toledo my 87csx & glhs, ryans 88lancer, & pauly darah"s 89 csx, we had a blast and enjoyed seeing everyone nice cars. congrats to all the winners, and to all involved in putting this together. I wish we could have lined up the hills behind the museum with all the cars for a panoramic picture....would have looked sweet. thanx again guys & girls.:thumb:
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z266/335glhs87/sdac1887.jpg

Frank
06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
That was the best SDAC I have been too so far!

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
thanks again barry for all the work you do and for putting up with our silliness at times! :) hehehe

frank and I are back at my house in Warsaw, NY after driving from Detroit to Chicago for a Liquid Tension Experiment concert last night and then straight to my house with a few naps in between. I am beat!

Brian

Rampage16V
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Yes I think so too. Seemed to be alot of ppl there. Thanks Barry, Craig, Joe , Tim ,Jeff and the rest of the GL crew...had a great time.

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
thanks again barry for all the work you do and for putting up with our silliness at times! :) hehehe

BrianAt awards night when the Shhhh's began I was laughing to myself. I wanted to quote a line I can almost recall which I think is from Blazing Saddles. Toward the end of the movie when the big fight crashes through a wall into a set where Dom Deluise is directing a dance number, the guys on stage hiss at the western dressed intruders. I think Dom says something like "you sound like a bunch of sissies" . I'm not sure of the line, but if I could have remembered it, I would have dished that line back as my reply. I've already searched google for it this morning but no luck finding it. I guess I'll have to watch the movie again.

No worries on the outbursts at awards night. I got mad, then cooled down fast also. The Shhhh's were funny. :lol:

Barry

Frank
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Well there was alot of alcohol there that night. :) I know I probably had the equivalent of about 10 shots between the phone call from you and about half way through. :)

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Well there was alot of alcohol there that night. :) I know I probably had the equivalent of about 10 shots between the phone call from you and about half way through. :)
As an aside to that, when I left the meeting room about 12:30 am, I looked it over and there were bottles (beer & liquor), potato chip bags, water glasses, and other assorted messes next to almost every chair.

I was concerned about that mess, and Monday morning I met up with the hotel manager we had been dealing with. I told her of the mess in the meeting room and we went to look it over. She said it was normal and not to worry about it, some wedding receptions make even more of a mess. She asked if the back lot worked out well and I told her yes. The hotel management was delighted to have us there and asked me to be sure to consider them in the future if we are back in the area.

Barry

Frank
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I had no idea of the mess until Craig said something the next day. I felt bad. I hope I had crabbed my mess and didn't contribute to it.

Frank

MiniMopar
06-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow...that's awesome/amazing that they want us back. Between the good rate, the free breakfast (which was really nice), and the accommodations (including the back lot), that was great setup.

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow...that's awesome/amazing that they want us back. Between the good rate, the free breakfast (which was really nice), and the accommodations (including the back lot), that was great setup.Fortunately for us, all they look at is the money honey. My quick calcs say they brought in almost $30K from our stay.

Barry

Reaper1
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I know I said it a bunch, but indeed, a HUGE THANK YOU To all of the people that make/made this happen! This was my first SDAC, and I sure as heck hope it is not my last! I've been wanting to attend this event for many years, and I'm SO glad I made it to this one!

PLEASE try to keep some sort of road course type event alive. I understand it is expensive and the initial sign up isn't that great, but I personally had an AWSOME time doing it! It made me wonder why I had gravitated toward drag racing at all! LOL

Again, thank you all for making this event probably one of the best times I've EVER had regarding my love for cars, and especially TD's!!!

Turbodave
06-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Fortunately for us, all they look at is the money honey. My quick calcs say they brought in almost $30K from our stay.

Barry

That adds up for them alright. The staff there was great, the maintenance guys were out in the parking lot drinking with our guys. I even saw the one maint. guy run to grab a bucket of water for the burnout box.

Thanks again to Barry, Craig and the GL gang, you guys did a great job with the event. :clap:

MiniMopar
06-26-2008, 03:26 PM
PLEASE try to keep some sort of road course type event alive. I understand it is expensive and the initial sign up isn't that great, but I personally had an AWSOME time doing it! It made me wonder why I had gravitated toward drag racing at all! LOL

The price! LOL! For $200, you won't find an event quite like that setup especially for us and run by experienced TM'ers like Barry Miles and the other instructors. Mine was Eric (can't remember his last name but he was guy from Chrysler with the orange Caliber SRT) and he was a riot.

I hope that we can run Waterford again or that we can hook up with Phil Wick as well. Running with Phil was fun, but Waterford reminded me that it is nice having instructors that know our cars.

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I know I said it a bunch, but indeed, a HUGE THANK YOU To all of the people that make/made this happen! This was my first SDAC, and I sure as heck hope it is not my last! I've been wanting to attend this event for many years, and I'm SO glad I made it to this one!

Again, thank you all for making this event probably one of the best times I've EVER had regarding my love for cars, and especially TD's!!!

you sound so mellow online! :)

Brian

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 03:58 PM
The price! LOL! For $200, you won't find an event quite like that setup especially for us and run by experienced TM'ers like Barry Miles and the other instructors. Mine was Eric (can't remember his last name but he was guy from Chrysler with the orange Caliber SRT) and he was a riot.

I hope that we can run Waterford again or that we can hook up with Phil Wick as well. Running with Phil was fun, but Waterford reminded me that it is nice having instructors that know our cars.
Erich Heuschle (pronounced Hoy-shlee) had the Caliber SRT/4. It's a development car owned by the company. Erich is the lead engineer/developer on that project.

Yeah, driving comes so easy to him (a lot of practice). All the time I was getting my ride in the Caliber with him, he's driving at 10/10ths and he's just chatting away ... :lol:

Barry

Reaper1
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
^^ I had the same expereince with him. GREAT guy! He made me appreciate that car a LOT more! I can honestly say that if I could get one with a suspension that is 8/10ths of the one on that car(for a bit more comfort on the road) that I'd actually consider the car! It made SO much of a difference.

I REALLY wish I could remember the name of my instructor. I KNOW I know him and I talked with him quite a lot before we even drove together! I'm SO horrible with namse though....:banghead: He was VERY helpful and he made driving the car harder not only more fun, but easier! I REALLY wished I'd had better tires now! LOL

Brian...all I can say is...now you know the REST of the story! LOL :evil: I want to see the video of me trying to sell my Power Stroke IC in the parking lot Friday night while slightly not in my right mind...I'm sure that's a friggin hoot! LOL :thumb:

dodgeshadowchik
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Agreed! It was an AWESOME event! I was sad to see it end! Thank you!!

Aries_Turbo
06-26-2008, 06:26 PM
im always sad when SDAC ends. cant wait for next year. :)

Brian

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM
I REALLY wish I could remember the name of my instructor. I KNOW I know him and I talked with him quite a lot before we even drove together! I'm SO horrible with namse though....:banghead: He was VERY helpful and he made driving the car harder not only more fun, but easier! I REALLY wished I'd had better tires now! LOL
What did he look like? Younger, older, hair color, etc?

Barry

CSX321
06-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Yep, thanks! What a great hotel, car show location, and events! Seeing everybody's nice cars always makes me want to get out in the garage and work on mine. That desire will carry over into action, I hope, and I'll be able to drive one next year! Looking forward to Cinci, because I missed the last one there and it's close for me now.

slasky
06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks again for putting on an outstanding event.

Gaboon
06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
I had a fantastic time from what I remember....

It was great to see some familiar faces again and to meet some new ones.

Thanks Barry and everyone for organising a fun event.

Joey

Reaper1
06-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Barry, my instructor was an "older" gentleman, kinda thin, had grey hair and trimmed beard. Kinda looked like Barry Miles, but it wasn't him. I know I talked with him quite a bit over the event. It seems to me he also hung around Chris(CS Racer) and Stimmac's crew somewhat IIRC. I'd know him if I saw him! LOL

Ondonti
06-27-2008, 03:25 AM

One "normal" trip to the road course = 1 year of drag racing fees + aggressive cars use up a set of brakes and tires each race. :(

$$$ if you want to have that fun year round. They opened a new track here in Utah for all the rich folk to play at :P
Autocross can actually be affordable but for an event like SDAC a road course is just more epic :thumb:

Reaper1
06-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Lets see...total time ACTUALLY drag racing in one year *might* equal about 15 minutes if you're lucky! That is less than one session(of which you can get 3-4 in in one DAY!) at the road course.

You can chew up tires just as fast dragging as road racing. Brake pads and fluid are wear items anyways. I've had the same Porterfield pads in opperation for 3 years! They are WELL bedded in and have PLENTY of meat left on them. I need to bleed the brakes again, but that doesn't take long.

The *only* places that dragging has an advantage is the fees to do it, but if you go regularly that adds up quick, and places to go.

I like testing my car in ALL aspects of performance, including acceleration, handling, braking, and stability, not to mention DRIVER skill. Plus I don't have to run the engine b@lls out to do it! Less chance of breaking it! Road racing is much less abusive to the car(provided you know how to drive), but it does take more prep and maintainence.

Dragging is certainly fun, and it does take skill, but a 13 or less second ride is never quite satisfying to me...;) Just MHO...

MiniMopar
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Lets see...total time ACTUALLY drag racing in one year *might* equal about 15 minutes if you're lucky! That is less than one session(of which you can get 3-4 in in one DAY!) at the road course.

You can chew up tires just as fast dragging as road racing. Brake pads and fluid are wear items anyways. I've had the same Porterfield pads in opperation for 3 years! They are WELL bedded in and have PLENTY of meat left on them. I need to bleed the brakes again, but that doesn't take long.

The *only* places that dragging has an advantage is the fees to do it, but if you go regularly that adds up quick, and places to go.

I like testing my car in ALL aspects of performance, including acceleration, handling, braking, and stability, not to mention DRIVER skill. Plus I don't have to run the engine b@lls out to do it! Less chance of breaking it! Road racing is much less abusive to the car(provided you know how to drive), but it does take more prep and maintainence.

Dragging is certainly fun, and it does take skill, but a 13 or less second ride is never quite satisfying to me...;) Just MHO...

LOL...I like how you think. As to your still having brakes and tires left, Erich would have said that you didn't try hard enough. He was ribbing me the whole time, "I didn't hear your tires that time" or "hit the gas!" or "floor it!" or "you brake too early!" or "just hit the cone". LOL.

Aries_Turbo
06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
for me, a track day costs 70$ (local board sets it up) and drag is 10$ on wed and 13$ on friday. :)

Brian

Reaper1
06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh you could definatly hear my poor Kumho 711's screaming for their life around the track! LOL As for the brakes...I might have been braking a bit early and soft, but I knew my fluid wasn't up to the task of being beat on REALLY hard all day, so I tried to take it easy on that. The pads had plenty of bite(and still do), but the fluid was done! I even blead them before the trip in anticipation of the road course. I'm using Vavoline Synthetic DOT 3-4. It works OK, but I know racing fluid would have worked a LOT better. I'm also thinking about doing some air ducting to my fronts to help keep them cooler...I'm sure there were some places I was taking it a bit easier than needed, but I'd rather be a little slower than chance balling up my daily driver car! LOL

sdac guy
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
for me, a track day costs 70$ (local board sets it up) and drag is 10$ on wed and 13$ on friday. :)

BrianThe Detroit Neon Owners have an event coming up at Waterford Hills and they are only charging $125 compared to the $200 we charged. The difference? They have a cap of 50 people and will probably fill that quota. We had a cap of 30 and only got 26. The result, our guys probably got about twice the track time as the DNO folks will, or their sessions will be much more crowded if they get the same amount of time.

Test & tune drag racing at Milan is $20 (last time I went a couple years ago) but as busy as it is folks only get 5-6 passes all evening. Ours was much more costly, but last year Alan made 37 passes in the Hemi 300C. There were a lot of folks hot lapping their cars this year, but I don't have any feedback on the number of runs.

For drag racing fees, the Mopar Nats really sucks. It is about $75 to race and if you are lucky you may get 6 runs all weekend (2 per day). If you can advance in the race program you will get more passes but that is the only way.

Barry

MiniMopar
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
There were a lot of folks hot lapping their cars this year, but I don't have any feedback on the number of runs.

I made 14 passes total. Could have easily made twice as many.

bradp
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I made 17 with the wagon and took some time to help on Angelo's car. Easily worth the money.

dodgeman87
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Barry & Craig,
A big thank you for your time and efforts!! What a great time we all had. The hotel was most excellent. And they even provided water and car wash for our cars.
And Barry I got to give you credit for mending fences with FWD, it takes a big man to let bygones be bygones. We can all learn from that, that sometimes forgiveness is a hard thing to do.
See you all next year!

sdac guy
07-02-2008, 06:28 AM
And Barry I got to give you credit for mending fences with FWD, it takes a big man to let bygones be bygones. We can all learn from that, that sometimes forgiveness is a hard thing to do.
See you all next year!While Cindy & James approached me about it, I am sure it was not the easiest thing they've ever done either. Kudos to them too! :thumb:

Barry

Clay
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
yes, a big thanks to Barry, Craig, and everyone else involved with setting up this great event!!

I haven't been to every SDAC, just four or 5 maybe, but IMO, this one was the best yet! I mean, you couldn't beat the hotel! Free breakfast (with your own "chef"!), great pools, and no issue with our parking lot hi-jinx! ;) One great location for the car show! Road course was awesome! Thats the only thing I regret, is not getting in on that road action! Drag strip was sweet! Chrysler museum and the Viper plant tour were also great. PLUS your in Detroit. If your board, then your not trying! ;)

MopàrBCN
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi, I followed the picture thread and a bit of this one as well and it really seems to have been a great event!

For me quite impressive was the display of TD cars in front of the WP Chrysler Museum. After all, I hope that this image has burned itself into the memory of Chrysler Officials. It always boils my blood if for something I have as a last resort the Chrysler Dealer only then to hear that the Part is discontinued....

In one sense I have a slight advantage over you guys in the states, because I have everyday my SDAC event whenever I am in my car :lol: - being one of the only ones in Spain to take this hobby serious :lol:

GREAT PICTURES and it seems to have been an awesome event!!!!!!!!!