PDA

View Full Version : Wierd knocking sound

iTurbo
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, on my other Spirit R/T, I'm having this strange engine knocking sound unlike any sound that I have heard from my turbo Mopars. It is bad enough that I don't drive it anymore and I even towed it home 250 miles when I moved last month. At first I thought it was a bad rod bearing. But I've had 2.2/2.5 motors with bad rod bearing before and this is just different. It is quiet at idle, and if you bring the RPM up slowly, it will not make the knocking sound; BUT if you rev it fast by blipping the throttle it will start clanging away above ~2500 RPM.

I cannot tell for the life of me if it is coming from the head or block. I took the serpentine belt off to rule out the accessories and the noise did not change. The accessory pulley bolts are all tight. The tensioner and idler pulley for both the serp and timing belt are brand new. It seems to be coming from front (seal housing) side of the motor. I brought it to a machine shop and the owner thinks it is either the rod bearing rolled up and is allowing the piston to contact the head, OR possibly a piston pin failure.

Any guesses as to what I'll find when I tear it apart? I don't think there is any fixing it with the motor in the car at this point.

bakes
06-25-2008, 01:51 AM
i would think more so of the rod/wirstpin problem

turbovanmanČ
06-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Can you take a vid? sounds like a bearing issue.

iTurbo
07-06-2008, 03:46 PM
I should be able to get a vid today....Could this be a case of bad intermediate shaft bushings? I do recall changing the timing belt a couple months ago when replacing the turbocharger...I properly tensioned the T-belt and it was a lot louder suddenly.