PDA

View Full Version : Odd Battery Problem

B82Colwell
03-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Here's what I've run into: Last september or so the battery in my car went dead as a doornail. When I'd turn the key everything would shut off and I couldn't get power back untill I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up. So since it was getting colder, I figured I would wait till spring to get a new battery... well warm weather is here, and I got my battery 2 nights ago, and yesterday on my lunch break I stopped by my parents and put it in. The car started and ran for about 10 minutes, sputtered, died, and when I turned the key, it was doing the same no power to the car untill I broke the battery's connection. I went back to work, and left the battery unhooked, then as soon as I got off of work, I went back to see if I couldn't pull some codes. got 11, 12, 55... alright, those seem fine, consistant with unhooking a battery, why not try starting it. Sure enough it fired right up and wanted to run. I let it idle for a bit, shut it off, and started it back up, and it starts again.. any ideas whats going on?

Oh yeah, the car is an 86 Daytona Turbo Z

JDAWG
03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Almost sound like HEP problem to me. It gets hot then dies. Let it cool then it will run again. That also would reference your code 11

B82Colwell
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
would that cut power to the entire car? I thought that would just make the engine act up, but my problem cuts power to everything... interior lights, fuel pump, starter, everything.

GLHSKEN
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
You have a wire at the terminals causing the issue. Clean all the terminals and the connections. common problem.

87glhs232
03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
You have a wire at the terminals causing the issue. Clean all the terminals and the connections. common problem.
+1. It's was the ground terminal on mine. I've since bought new 4 gauge wire and new terminals. When you reassemble it, try some no-ox (dielectric) grease.

GLHSKEN
03-11-2006, 09:37 AM
You might think they are clean, but they very well might not be. I had to re-cut the wire and pull fresh insulation off on one of my cars.,.. Key in, lights work stereo works, turn key, click, no power to anything...

20w/ashelby
03-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I had the same problem. Buy some new terminals and re-strip your wires and it should be good to go.