PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Dilemma

Polygon
06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
As some of you know my GTC has some rust issues in the usual areas. I have a rust free car to get any sheet metal I need off of. So, I went to a body shop today to ask about cost so all of the things I know are bad. It came to a mere $5,500, more or less.

Now this leaves me with two options.

1. Swap metal from the rust free 87' coupe to my 89' GTC.

2. Swap all mechanical bits, electronics, suspension, and exhaust from my 89' GTC to the rust free 87' coupe.

Now, there are some pros and cons to both. I could be looking at more rust than I think. However, it wouldn't be much more to repaint the entire car. Swapping parts would be less expensive but I have no idea if the 87' chassis is the same as the 89' GTC chassis and what I would need to swap over. Also, I like the fact that I have a GTC and I want my car to be a true GTC. Plus I would have to repaint the car either way.

So, which do you think I should do?

raccoon
06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I would swap the parts onto the better shell, unless its a rare car to start with.

Polygon
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
My GTC is a TII one of 1,033, so it's a bit on the rare side.

rich tideswell
06-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Well, normally this would be a no brianer - swap the powertrian and get back on the road.......bbbbuuuuuuutttttttttt if its rare/ desirable, fix the rust.

Anonymous_User
06-24-2008, 03:27 AM
It really depends on how much skill, time, tools, and garage you have. Paying to have it done is not a very viable solution as the car will not be worth what you pay to have it redone. If you have substantial rust, it can be much, much deeper than you ever imagined.

If you can afford to take the car down for a LONG time, have the patience to stay with it, and can get a welder and a place to do the work, you can definitely repair anything.

If you DO have the ability to do it yourself, how about swapping the mechanicals to the coupe while you strip the body of the '89 and start patching it up? When you have the '89 done, swap the mechanicals back!

Subliminal
06-24-2008, 07:17 AM
It really depends on how much skill, time, tools, and garage you have. Paying to have it done is not a very viable solution as the car will not be worth what you pay to have it redone. If you have substantial rust, it can be much, much deeper than you ever imagined.

If you can afford to take the car down for a LONG time, have the patience to stay with it, and can get a welder and a place to do the work, you can definitely repair anything.

If you DO have the ability to do it yourself, how about swapping the mechanicals to the coupe while you strip the body of the '89 and start patching it up? When you have the '89 done, swap the mechanicals back!

+1....I vote for that! ;)

88_pacifica
06-24-2008, 07:38 AM

+2.... Something tells me he knows from experience. ;) :thumb:

Anonymous_User
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/RustLeft.jpg

This is being repaired. As you can see, the front wheel is visible WAY more than it should be. When I pulled the car in, I thought it was just maybe basketball sized floorboard rot. Nope. All the way up the firewall! Patching in parts from another G-body that had a solid floorboard. Only thing that is staying is the exhaust hump. Of course, this originally was planned as a one week project last summer. After seeing the extent of the rot, I am hoping to have it finished by mid July.

Polygon
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/CarDomain/GTC/Rocker%20Rear.jpg

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/CarDomain/GTC/Rear%20Qaurter.jpg

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/CarDomain/GTC/Rocker%20Extension.jpg

Those are some pictures of the rust. It has gotten a little worse since I took those last year. Another hole has appeared on the extension and the passenger rocker is barely starting to show signs of internal rust. The floor boards look fine and feel solid from the outside. Also, I forgot to mention that the 87' would need to have the front bumper replaced as well as the passenger fender and door.

As for having the car down, that's not an issue since it's a full on project car. I have the Stealth I can and I have an Escape as my DD as well.

Dodge Aries K
06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
My advice to you is start stripping out the interior of the GTC and start chopping away the rust. When it looks like that... as you start sanding the area and cutting the rust out you may find that what doesn't look bad will get REAL bad very quick...

WickedShelby88
06-24-2008, 04:09 PM
It really looks pretty fixable now. 5500 was actually not a bad quote. I figure the average cost of a quality repaint alone can easily hit 2500-3500 dollars and on up depending on the vehicle and materials needed. I've seen a lot worse. The main thing is to cut more than just the rusted area out and clean and I mean clean using some nasty stuff the area inside the rocker. If the floors are still solid chances are NOW is the time. Its similar to the rust on my g-ma's 74 scamp where the floors were rock solid, but the rockers were bad from not being able to get washed regular during winters. Now what anonymous user stated is a really good plan. Better to pull everything off and do as much as you can yourself and get the other car dug into as well. Since its a project to begin with the definitely gives you the flexibility you will need to get it done.

Polygon
06-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, I'm going to take the interior out of the 87' and use most of it in the GTC so I'll have to strip them both down on the inside. I'm having them check on the cost of some new panels if they can even find them since they said it would be about half. Granted they were just estimating on time removing material from the 87' and cleaning it up and then putting it on the GTC plus paint. So I didn't think it was all that bad either considering we're talking about the driver quarter and rocker and the passenger rocker. I just want it replaced to be sure since it's a trouble area. painting the rest should be no more than $1,000 I would guess.

If I used the 87' I'd have to take the GTC bumpers, passenger fender, passenger door, and all the moldings. That paired with swapping over all the GTC specific stuff and paint it really isn't that much cheaper plus all the time I'd have to spend on the car and end up with a car that isn't a GTC.

So, I guess I've made up my mind. That leaves me with one question. For them to paint the engine bay do I need to get engine out?

spoolinhard
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
restore the GTC

Anonymous_User
06-25-2008, 02:25 AM
That doesn't really look that bad. But. . . you will know for sure once the interior is out.

WickedShelby88
06-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Most definitely pull the engine and all the wiring back to the bulkhead connector if you want the bay painted as thoroughly as possible. Sounds like a lot of work I know, but either way you'd be pulling it.

raccoon
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
after seeing the photos...

kill the GTC! swap everything over. and get a nice new paint job. :).

the car is for your enjoyment, I myself dont enjoy even repaired rust.

WickedShelby88
06-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Unless your wallet is thick though beggers can't be choosers with a TM. I myself enjoy fixing the ones that are rough around the edges provided I know what I'm getting myself into in the first place.

Polygon
06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I went into this knowing it was going to cost me over $10,000 to do everything I wanted to. I just don't want to be paying that for the body work. I don't even pay attention to cost most of the time, only on larger stuff like this so I can budget accordingly. I think I will be able to do this before the end of the summer. After they do the body work and get her straight as an arrow with good gaps I'll be having them paint it Blue Blood Red from House of Kolor. Then I can strip down all the suspension bits and media blast and powdercoat them black and do the entire suspension.

I can't wait.

WickedShelby88
06-27-2008, 01:10 AM
I gotta give you props on your choice of vehicle to restore as you want. A lot of people here say its just this or its just that, but really its all in perspective. Who cares how much its worth on paper as long as you enjoy it and its your style.

Polygon
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks.

The GTC has always been my fav TM. I already lost an TII GTC to a car accident and had to abandon a VNT project because it was just too far gone. I feel bad and I don't feel like condemning another car.

WickedShelby88
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Lol, if this were a challenger do you think it would be condemned.. I've seen some pretty far gone mopar rwd cars that should have been axed. Most guys would of just bondoed that gravy stuff and been done with it. At least your going to have it done right. I think my dad spend a whopping 300 dollars on our duster back in the day and did everything himself, but unfortunately he didn't have a welder so it ended up being rivets on the floor and bondo in the rear quarters. She held up well for years actually. Even after a hard core collision with some lady that literally rolled into the intersection and just sat there like a do-do bird the bondo didn't come loose.

Polygon
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'm thoroughly against Bondo unless it's used lightly to smooth out ripples. I can't condone using it to patch holes. That was one of the problems with the VNT. About half of the driver side fender was Bondo.

You knows what's really ironic? This car is probably more rare than most Challengers.

WickedShelby88
06-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah production wise a lot of our cars are. The sad thing is idiot wise a lot more challengers have been killed off. Its weird though that although the musclecars have become to be worth what they are nothing from the 80's has caught on yet and its 20 years and counting. I guess give it 10 more years and a fuel crisis. I also have a dilemma of my own. I want a black Lancer shelby and a white CSX, but I have a white lancer and the best CSX I found is black.. Go figure.

Polygon
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
LOL

That's always how it seems to work. Well, I think it's decided guys. I'm going to dismantle the 87' and restore the GTC especially after seeing it in person.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

WickedShelby88
07-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm gonna post some pics of some suprise pieces you may be interested in.

Polygon
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Really? I can't wait to see! :)