PDA

View Full Version : Turbos/Intercoolers: T2 Rad and IC for Shadow

JuXsA
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I have decided to go with a semi stockish setup instead of the air to water IC. I need a T2 Rad/fan with IC to replace the full size rad I have. My car is an 88 shadow so I have no idea what years will bolt right up... and thats what I am looking for. I have an awesome new Air to water IC and a new water pump from a ford lighting to trade with.

JuXsA
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
pix
http://www.juxsa.com/parts.htm

Darkapollo
06-24-2008, 08:45 AM
you will need one out of an 89 CSX... kinda a rare part. anything pre88 will not 'drop in' bolt up due to the different mounting points.
All of the rad/ic units are semi-vehicle specific. The CSX IC has an angled outlet so that it will line up with the throttle body, one out of a daytona has a straight outlet and you will need to get piping bent up to make it go around the battery tray and line up with the TB.

An FwhyIjust to help you out in your search
Good luck if i were not using my 89csx rad/ic i might consider selling..

JuXsA
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
would have to be from an 89csx? wouldn't one out of a 90 vnt work?

JuXsA
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
bump...

JuXsA
06-26-2008, 09:01 PM
bump...

JDAWG
06-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I used a daytona rad/cooler in my 88 P from a 88 or 89 (cant remember), ordered a lower T2 hose (which I think are ns1 now), and for the upper I used truck rad hose and 2.5" exh pipe (I think), it wasnt a straight shot but it worked and it sealed up fine

JuXsA
06-27-2008, 01:40 PM
What about it bolting up?

Turbodave
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
The only direct bolt in will be one from an 87 or 89 CSX, and possibly a 90 VNT shadow, I'm pretty sure the 90's had the same core support.

A daytona one can be made to work, there is a nice how-to on JT's site www.badassperformance.com. Takes custom brackets for the top to get it in there.

Anonymous_User
06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Alright already.

I've got an '87 CSX radiator/IC. I really didn't want to part with it, but it seems you really want it. $300

I can throw in the '87 CSX air filter box and hoses for $50

I've read that the '87 may not be a DIRECT drop in to an '88 so if I remember, I'll test fit it in my CSXT tomorrow.

If you want to try to make a G-body setup work, I can sell you the rad/IC from a Daytona for $150.

JDAWG
06-28-2008, 09:33 AM
A G body can work, you need to make up some mounts, just bend up some metal or whatever. Actually I used zip ties (dont tell anyone) and ran my 88P for a year and a half like that. Oh and I turned the hood bumpers up the whole way cause the G rad is slightly taller.

Anonymous_User
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
OK, I dug it out today. The radiator is one of the best looking 20 yr old radiators I've seen in a LONG time.

Problem: There are no brackets that hold the rad/ic together. It appears that G-body brackets would work just fine.

Problem #2: There must be some sort of bracket for the passenger side of the radiator as there is no mount there. Also, the bottom has no mounts.

Does anyone have a pic of a complete '87 CSX Rad/IC combo that I could look at?

JDAWG
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
nvm..

JuXsA
06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
If I was going to spend 300 more bucks I would go ahead and use what I have. I am looking to trade or to spend quite a bit less then that... thanks though

Mike_Shepard
06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I have a G body intercooler/radiator for sale now.

Darkapollo
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
$300 is about the going rate of these rare pieces... Its not like you can get them from a parts store (believe me, i work at autozone, our replacement 't2 rad' wont work PERIOD)

you CAN NOT use an 87 csx as the rad supports and mounts are totally different.
the 89/90 is bolted to the BACK of the rad support directly, where as the 87 style is attached via pins and bushing that are bolted to the TOP of the rad support.
THERE IS NO WAY to attach those pins and bushing to a 'newer' style rad support as the hood will be in the way (hood closes flat on 89+ where as it has a turn down lip on the 88-)

not to be a neigh sayer to anyone who said you CAN use the 87 style... the radiator, radiator support, radiator mounts, intercooler, and brackets are all completely different. You can ghetto-rig it anyway you want, but for a direct-no-duct-tape-and-zip-ties-required install stick with an 89+ P-Body intercooler/rad set up.

Annony, I have an IC/Rad from an 87 (daytona, rad is the same, ic is different) as well as 89 csx, next time i goto my shop ill snap a few pics of the major differences..

JuXsA
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
would love to see the pix...

Anonymous_User
07-02-2008, 01:15 AM
$300 is about the going rate of these rare pieces... Its not like you can get them from a parts store (believe me, i work at autozone, our replacement 't2 rad' wont work PERIOD)

the 89/90 is bolted to the BACK of the rad support directly, where as the 87 style is attached via pins and bushing that are bolted to the TOP of the rad support.
THERE IS NO WAY to attach those pins and bushing to a 'newer' style rad support as the hood will be in the way (hood closes flat on 89+ where as it has a turn down lip on the 88-)

not to be a neigh sayer to anyone who said you CAN use the 87 style... the radiator, radiator support, radiator mounts, intercooler, and brackets are all completely different. You can ghetto-rig it anyway you want, but for a direct-no-duct-tape-and-zip-ties-required install stick with an 89+ P-Body intercooler/rad set up.

Annony, I have an IC/Rad from an 87 (daytona, rad is the same, ic is different) as well as 89 csx, next time i goto my shop ill snap a few pics of the major differences..

The OP is working on an 88 P-body. The 87 setup I have LOOKS like it will drop in, I just seem to be missing some bracketry. You say it won't fit in an '89+ model. Are you saying the '87 setup will not fit in an '88 or are you saying it will fit an '88 but not an '89?

Turbodave
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
The OP is working on an 88 P-body. The 87 setup I have LOOKS like it will drop in, I just seem to be missing some bracketry. You say it won't fit in an '89+ model. Are you saying the '87 setup will not fit in an '88 or are you saying it will fit an '88 but not an '89?

87 CSX rad/intercooler should work fine in an 88. Lots of people have intercooled their CSX-T's this way. I put an 87 CSX setup into my 89 Shadow and it was a bolt in as well. As far as I can tell the 87 and 89 CSX radiators and intercoolers are identical.

JuXsA
07-10-2008, 07:13 PM
bump...

JuXsA
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Just want to point out, You can use an 87 CSX Rad/IC combo on an 88 just fine. Bolted right in. $300 used is also very high since Cindy would have sold me a NOS one for that price.

Ghostof309
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
got an intercooler to a CSX, no radiator, in great shape, $75 plus shipping. Let me know if you want pics. Not sure what year it is from

JuXsA
08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
thanks, but I got the whole setup already

glht_omni
08-31-2008, 02:16 AM
just to give you another option, here is a t1 rad with a stock ic in my spirit, i had to flip the air bag sensors to the front of the core support (you dont have airbags though) and obviously the battery being in the trunk helped.
i just cut, drilled and polished aluminum brackets for the top mounts and drilled 2 holes for the pegs and rubber mounts in the bottom.

i still plan to go back to the t3 rad, but not until i find a really nice looking one and the last new ones cost $800.