PDA

View Full Version : '85 glht a555 swap.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
i know this question has been asked a million times. but i couldnt find the awnsers i wanted. please just bare with me. i have an '89 tona a555 thats going into a '85 glht. it will be cable shifted. i know i need the axels out of an '88 and up automatic omni. do i get both sides or 2 of one side? also is there somthing that has to be done with the tranny mount? i already know about the bobble strut mod. i have the shifter from the '89 tona. what cables do i need to get?

thanks
kyle

glhtroy
03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
kyle the answer to which cables ....wish i knew aswell but can't help ya there. but as for the axles i know the answer is on Mr. Donovans website.here (www.thedodgegarage.com). you can keep one of your stock axles if you prefer. but when i get my tranny (one day) i will just buy remaned axles that fit the application , jus don't want tyo be strabded b/c i was cheap and couldn't save a couple extra weeks for new axles. jus ny thought

cordes
03-14-2006, 11:11 PM
You could do the rod shifted 555 mod, or you could use the 555/520 cables and shifter. I believe you have to use the trans mount off of the 525 due to the L-body trans mount being different.

GLHS592
03-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Use an automatic Omni axle on the driver's side. Use your stock axle on the passenger side, EXCEPT for the intermediate shaft. That's the part that goes into the tranny. Get it from the donor car. Just press out the U-joint and swap it.

As for the tranny mount. use the bobble strut and the bracket just like it is in the donor car. You will have to fab up a mount for it on your L-body's K-frame.

Here's a thread discussing the installation of the cable shifter: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439. I posted a little how to on my Cardomain page which I linked in that thread. It is down right now, but you can check it out later.

GLHSKEN
03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Use an automatic Omni axle on the driver's side. Use your stock axle on the passenger side, EXCEPT for the intermediate shaft. That's the part that goes into the tranny. Get it from the donor car. Just press out the U-joint and swap it.

As for the tranny mount. use the bobble strut and the bracket just like it is in the donor car. You will have to fab up a mount for it on your L-body's K-frame.

Here's a thread discussing the installation of the cable shifter: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439. I posted a little how to on my Cardomain page which I linked in that thread. It is down right now, but you can check it out later.

^^^ agreed.. Easiest way to do it...

GLHS60
03-16-2006, 02:19 AM
I like to use both left and right 88 Omni axles and get rid of the intermediate shaft. The Daytona cables are a bit long but will work if you route them carefully. Shadow/Sundance a520 cables are a bit shorter and a little easier to route.

Thanks

i know this question has been asked a million times. but i couldnt find the awnsers i wanted. please just bare with me. i have an '89 tona a555 thats going into a '85 glht. it will be cable shifted. i know i need the axels out of an '88 and up automatic omni. do i get both sides or 2 of one side? also is there somthing that has to be done with the tranny mount? i already know about the bobble strut mod. i have the shifter from the '89 tona. what cables do i need to get?

thanks
kyle

Clay
03-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Your other alternative for axles is to use two drivers side 88+ auto Omni axles, and the intermediate shaft from a factory 555 equiped car. This is how I did it. This way you dont have to brake down and piece together an intermediate shaft from two different ones, PLUS both axles are the same so you only have to keep one spare.

as for the cables, P-body cables (shadow) are definatley the way to go!!

clay

j4278h
03-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Kyle,

the first step is to stop making pearls and take that blue dress off so it doesn't get dirty. I told you everything you need to get that beast in there. Now lets plan on pulling the motor out of your omni next week. Can you do anytime during the week after 4? I'm offering up free labor here better jump on it. the only thing i'm not gonna mess with is the wiring thats all up to you buddy.

Seriously go the route clay mentioned and get 2 drivers side 88+omni auto axles prefer one or both from autostoned so when you break them free spare. Then you can still use the i-shaft from the 89 motor. If we don't have it attached to the motor still i have plenty of spare one.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
03-18-2006, 01:04 AM
your on jason. i figure out a time.