PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone running R134 in their TIII car? Having probs with mine.

dds78910
06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
My R/T had the A/C taken out when I got it and I got all the parts and put everything back together. I had all the hoses rebuilt, replaced the high pressure swith, a new dryer and pressure releif valve. It seems to work good for a day or to and if the car idles for a bit it blows a seal by the dryer. It has done it 3 times now and I not sure what's causing it. I filled it up to factory specs, but I starting to think I need to run R12 in it. Has anyone had the same problem of have any suggestions?

Turbo3Iroc
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I think my Spirit has R134 in it but it was in there when I bought the car.

looneytuner
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
If that has the one bolt connection, I gently persuade the two pieces to mate with vice grips as I tighten the bolt. Just tightening the bolt would tend to ---- the pieces a little. (hmm....the word I used there has another meaning!) :o Let's try the word misalign. :confused2: I have done two of these cars so far. The only problem is that on the second one, the surface on the new dryer had a spit of weld on it. I took it back and checked the replacement before I left the parts store.

BIGBRUDDA
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you may have a blocked or obstructed evaperator coil-expansion valve.
Were the A/C lines or coil left open? If so you'll need to backflush the coil, clean the valve.
A guage reading would be helpful. Normal highside pressures should not exceed 270-280 max.
Also did you vacuum the system before charging?

LowSL2
06-18-2008, 05:07 PM
I have r134a in my 92 R/T. It was working fine until a popped the o-ring on the relief valve. I remember someone mentioning that you have to put less r134a compared to the amount you would put in if it was r12. But I can't for the life of me find anything with the search engine.

black86glhs
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes, R134 works at a higher pressure. I was wondering the same thing, as in a partial blockage. Does the Spirit use an expansion valve or a orifice tube? Also, did you lube the o-rings with mineral oil or pag oil? Always use mineral oil, it doesn't swell the o-rings. I have seen the rings swell and blow out. Just remember to use pag oil in the system. If you already know this stuff, sorry. Just giving out some helpful info.

With Kids
06-19-2008, 07:34 PM
You should charge the system to about 80% of R12 and then monitor your pressures at idle and 2500 rpm, watch your side side pressure as it will climb quickly even if over-charged slightly. Second is you said that it blows while sitting still, our condensers are not designed to cool 134 so while sitting still only the rad fan is cooling the condenser. I would try adding an additional fan mounted in front of condenser to also push air through.

Tony Hanna
06-19-2008, 07:58 PM
If you can handle the idea of your refrigerant being flammable, I'd ditch the r134a and run envirosafe es12a or something similar. The head pressure is alot lower than 134a so you don't end up with the problems (compressor wear, etc) that you do with 134a and it cools as good as the original r12. Another benefit with the reduced head pressure is improved fuel economy with the ac on. From what they say in their FAQ, it's also compatible with just about every type of oil.
http://www.es-refrigerants.com/

chilort
06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
When I was trying to run r134, before Tony Hanna turned me on to es-12, I never blew anything out. I had the system way over charged more than once too.

One of the things I did though was use all HNBR o-rings. Even though the dryer came with those metal plate things, I didn't use them. I used HNBR instead.

dds78910
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
What are HNBR? Do you have pics or a place to get them?

86Shelby
06-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I would wager that the mating surface between those two pieces is not quite 100%, off just enough so that it leaks when the pressure gets too high. I know of a few other people that have that problem on the dryer.

dds78910
06-20-2008, 02:21 PM
It was a new dryer, but I guess I can buy another from somewhere else.

86Shelby
06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
The problem may be on the AC line fitting. Sometimes those get tweaked just a little bit like Looneytuner alluded to.

dds78910
06-20-2008, 02:45 PM
It does sound possible since it has leaked in the same place every time.:o

chilort
06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
HNBR are green o-rings. Any auto parts store should have them. Most of the time I see them hanging in packs of various sizes right along side of the R134a cans.