PDA

View Full Version : TI L-body MAP sensor connections

Clay
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Ok, on TI L-body cars, the MAP sensor is on the LM inside the car.

SOOOOOOO here is my question:

Do the external plugs (blue and red) have ports that connect to the same place on the LM board that the MAP sensor plug does?

Im trying to convert to an external MAP sensor (and eventually to 87 electronics is my goal, after my TII conversion).

So in my anal effort for a clean install, Im hoping I can feed this into the male plug ends.

thanks,
clay

mock_glh
03-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes, you can. You can get the wiring and MAP plug from any '87 turbo non-L body car, with the proper pins to fit into the blue and red plugs.:)

Clay
03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
So the MAP sensor pinouts on the 87 TI L-body LM are in the same spot on the 87 non-L-body LM?

thanks!

clay

cordes
03-12-2006, 10:09 PM
So the MAP sensor pinouts on the 87 TI L-body LM are in the same spot on the 87 non-L-body LM?

thanks!

clay

I was under the impression that the 87' L-body wiring was the same as that of the 86', and that the map was still on the LM.

Check out.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/lm-1987-t1.html This page actually confirms my statment.

Also, http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/lm-1987-t2.html

Here is the GLHS LM page. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/lm-1986-t2.html

This is another good page. http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html

Clay
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
yeah, I know they are the same, what Im saying is:

If I keep the 87 L-body TI LM in the car and run an external MAP sensor, I really want to run the wires from that external MAP sensor to the LM male plugs (you know, the red and blue one). Can I do this?

well, the only way this would work is if the LM plugs feed to the same place on the circuit board that the internal MAP sensor feeds to.

Does that help? cause I get confused just typing it!!! ;)

clay

Clay
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Also, if you look at the wiring diagrams on the Minimopar pages, you see that pin #19 on the blue plug is the MAP sensor signal.

On the L-body LM, pin #19 on the blue plug is "not used", and pin #1 on the red plug is 'not used'. What I want to do is run the external MAP sensor signal line to pin #19 on the blue plug, and the 5V supply line from pin #1 on the red plug. If I do this, will the LM get a signal from the MAP sensor?? Is that part of the circuit completed in the LM??

thanks,

clay

Subliminal
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
This is an uneducated post, as I've never taken the map sensor off of the LM, but couldn't you just unscrew/clip/bolt the map from the LM, cut the 2 or 3 wires that connect it, and solder new leads on to the cut ends on the LM, run them underhood somewhere, and solder the map onto the other end of those leads at your favoritest location?

TurboGLH
03-13-2006, 12:34 PM
This is an uneducated post, as I've never taken the map sensor off of the LM, but couldn't you just unscrew/clip/bolt the map from the LM, cut the 2 or 3 wires that connect it, and solder new leads on to the cut ends on the LM, run them underhood somewhere, and solder the map onto the other end of those leads at your favoritest location?

Hell, you don't even need to do that. Chrysler produced a map relocation kit because of problems with water in the vacuum line. It has a harness extender that runs out under hood, a bracket and a standard map. Works like a charm.

Clay
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM

You could BUT..... the connections for the MAP sensor on an L-body are inside the LM case. So you if just made the wires longer, they would actually be hard wired to the circuit board in the LM.

clay

Clay
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Hell, you don't even need to do that. Chrysler produced a map relocation kit because of problems with water in the vacuum line. It has a harness extender that runs out under hood, a bracket and a standard map. Works like a charm.

yeah, but with only 4 left in the world and costing $126 bucks a pop....... I think I can do it better and cheaper (as is the turbo mopar way!) ;)

PLUS, Im planning on converting to 87 TII electronics after I convert the car to TII (very soon), so doing that would be worthless once I converted to 87 electronics.

clay

cordes
03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I would immagine that you could try it, but I am not aware of that being a viable method. The aforementioned conversion kits costing so much would have certainly made someone try by now I would think.

If you are going to convert to 87' TII soon, I would just leave it be until then.

Clay
03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Thats going to be my next option I guess.

Im going to run the wires when I do my TII conversion since it will be easier to get them through the firewall with the head/turbo off. Then when I go 87 elec. I can terminate.

clay