PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Still having issues..

85shelbycharger
03-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Well I posted last week about my fuel issue: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2455

Last night I installed a NEW Walbro 255 fuel pump w/a new fuel filter as well. At idle, I now get the correct fuel pressure at the rail.
But the same problem lives on...the darn car stutters and hesitates when you try to move it! I am COMPLETELY out of ideas and have no clue what else to try. PLEASE HELP!

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Your fuel pressure with a stock setup should be around 55 psi with the vac line off, so 52 is fine.
Have you checked your cam timing and ig timing, sounds like its out a few teeth. Whats your idle vacuum using a good guage?
Have you checked your coil, grind off the ground electrode on a bad plug then hook up to a wire, ground the base and let it run. If it doesn't spark, the coil is weak.
Do you have a cat on, if so, it could be plugged up.
What does your air fuel guage say when it acts up, your ox sensor could be bad also.

Other than that, I would look at borrowing a scanner.

85shelbycharger
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Your fuel pressure with a stock setup should be around 55 psi with the vac line off, so 52 is fine.

With the vac line off now, after putting the new pump in, the fuel pressure is approximately 60 at idle. Vac line on = 52 psi now.

Have you checked your cam timing and ig timing, sounds like its out a few teeth. Whats your idle vacuum using a good guage?

I'm going to go over the timing again today, even though I've checked it a thousand times haha. And I don't have a vacuum gauge, so I haven't checked that.

Have you checked your coil, grind off the ground electrode on a bad plug then hook up to a wire, ground the base and let it run. If it doesn't spark, the coil is weak.

Well I put in a known good coil in the other day when I was trying different things, and it didn't change anything. I have about 13 more that I can try though..lol

Do you have a cat on, if so, it could be plugged up.

Yea the cat is on there and looks to be the original. I'll check into that.

What does your air fuel guage say when it acts up, your ox sensor could be bad also.

No A/F gauge either.
I had put in a new O2 sensor in back during the summer (but it was a cheap autozone fix) so I could try another new one of those.

Other than that, I would look at borrowing a scanner.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your input! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 02:54 PM
With the vac line off now, after putting the new pump in, the fuel pressure is approximately 60 at idle. Vac line on = 52 psi now.

I'm going to go over the timing again today, even though I've checked it a thousand times haha. And I don't have a vacuum gauge, so I haven't checked that.

Well I put in a known good coil in the other day when I was trying different things, and it didn't change anything. I have about 13 more that I can try though..lol

Yea the cat is on there and looks to be the original. I'll check into that.

No A/F gauge either.
I had put in a new O2 sensor in back during the summer (but it was a cheap autozone fix) so I could try another new one of those.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your input! :thumb:

Ok, well, your FPR looks bad, it isn't dropping the pressure like it should.

After you get that fixed, clear the memory-disconect the battery and see what happens. If its still there, drop the DP and go for a drive, if its gone, your cat is plugged. If its still there, keep checking, :mad:

85shelbycharger
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok, well, your FPR looks bad, it isn't dropping the pressure like it should.

After you get that fixed, clear the memory-disconect the battery and see what happens. If its still there, drop the DP and go for a drive, if its gone, your cat is plugged. If its still there, keep checking, :mad:

Thanks a million Simon, you're narrowing everything down for me! And to think I was ready to have a bon fire out back tonight :p Now I just have to find an FPR amongst all my other junk :p

85shelbycharger
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Well I went to the boneyard and bought two used FPR's since I can't get one new from the dealer. Tried both of those and had the same result. I was just so fed up at this point I pulled the fuel rail and swapped in a set of injectors from an '89 T1 motor that I had. This resulted in it running in tip top shape after I reset the distributor timing :thumb:

Only catch is, while it was running superb, three times throughout my drive around the area, I lost all throttle response and the carjust about died on me. Whats goin on with that?

85shelbycharger
03-10-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm about to toss this thing out back behind the house and have a bon fire. What in the world is going on????? I just went outside to start it up (first time since last night when it ran) and now when I begin to apply throttle and let the clutch out to go, it wants to die, there is hardly any throttle response, and you have to ride the clutch to even get it to move a little bit. I've gone over the complete ignition system (put in new plugs and wires, tried different HEP, different Cap and rotor, different AIS and TPS sensors, different MAP sensor, different computer, put in a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, swapped in different injectors, reset the timing and thats about it. I'm lost and ready to give up lol. Only thing I haven't checked is that catalytic converter so I guess I'll try that tonight...

looneytuner
03-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Couple questions. You have a conversion to TII? If so check your wiring connections that you changed.
You switched to TI injectors and it started and runs? It would be too lean which is right for the no power. Let it warm up and see if it has "some" power.
If you have the lm pm setup, do you have a plastic cover over the lm in the car? Has it been raining there?
Did you solder the connections you changed for the conversion?

85shelbycharger
03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Couple questions. You have a conversion to TII? If so check your wiring connections that you changed.
You switched to TI injectors and it started and runs? It would be too lean which is right for the no power. Let it warm up and see if it has "some" power.
If you have the lm pm setup, do you have a plastic cover over the lm in the car? Has it been raining there?
Did you solder the connections you changed for the conversion?

No T2 conversion, its the stock T1 and the only upgrade I have is the MP computer.
Yes the plastic is over the LM behind the kick panel...and it has been raining, but this has been a consistent problem for a while now.

85shelbycharger
03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Well I think the problem is solved..
I pulled the pump assembly back out of the tank tonight and it was bent to hell. We must have had the assembly sitting on the baffle in the tank wrong, but we put everything back in and all is well now. Thanks everyone for their help.

looneytuner
03-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for posting the solution. I WILL be careful when I install that item!

WVRampage
03-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Well I went to the boneyard and bought two used FPR's since I can't get one new from the dealer. Tried both of those and had the same result. I was just so fed up at this point I pulled the fuel rail and swapped in a set of injectors from an '89 T1 motor that I had. This resulted in it running in tip top shape after I reset the distributor timing :thumb:

Only catch is, while it was running superb, three times throughout my drive around the area, I lost all throttle response and the carjust about died on me. Whats goin on with that?

Mine did it when I changed injectors and the main injector plug was messed up clean it good and use some electric grease.

Force Fed Mopar
03-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Another word of advice: dump that AutoStoned O2 sensor and get a Mopar one. I've had several people that know these cars pretty good say that anything other than a Mopar sensor will cause problems.

GLHSKEN
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Anything other than mopar reads leaner.

I just went with a denso unit on one of my cars from spark-plugs.com... the advantage of that one is leaded fuel is not as harmful to it due to the design... (read a bit of rrace gas won't hurt it.)
\
A data-logging nut for a friend has verified they read similar to the Mopar unit. Avoid the bosch..

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Glad you found it, :thumb:

Another good option is an NTK sensor.

BTW, even if the ox is bad, won't show up at WOT as the computer ignores it.

CletusJones
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Well I think the problem is solved..
I pulled the pump assembly back out of the tank tonight and it was bent to hell. We must have had the assembly sitting on the baffle in the tank wrong, but we put everything back in and all is well now. Thanks everyone for their help.
I'm putting a fuel pump in my 87 daytona on wednesday night, is there a specific way that it has to go into the tank?