PDA

View Full Version : Gauge wiring check

supercrackerbox
06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Okay, I just want someone to look at this before I go any further, to make sure I've got it right so far. Running parallel circuits, does everything look correct? I used the factory harness for the cigarette lighter and light bulb.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/supercrackerbox/charger/gaugewiring.jpg

Circuit A (orange, yellow, and purple at the end) - Positive dimmer circuit, plugged into factory harness.

Circuit B - Blue wire is negative for the lights, black wire is negative for the gauges, plugged into factory ground harness.

Circuit C - Heavy red wire, factory 12v (constant) power for cigarette lighter. Pretty sure I have that right, I didn't change anything. ;)

Circuit D - White wire, thin red wire, will be 12v power from relay.

I'm still waiting for two of the light sockets to come in, so it looks pretty messy. The two metal gauges on the left are mechanical boost and oil pressure, so they only need wires for the lights. The two white gauges are EGT and electric water temp, I still need to run the signal wires. The black gauge is a digital Air/Fuel, the black wire will have its own ground, the grey wire is the signal to the O2 sensor.

So basically I have to run the signal wires and 12v power, ground, and switch wires to the relay and it should be ready to go.

Now a question: For the 12v source to the relay which will power the 3 electrical gauges- would I be okay sourcing the power from the hot wire to the cigarette lighter (the relay would make it switched instead of constant), or should I just run its own fused wire to the battery? Basically I'm worried about overloading the circuit, but I don't know how much draw these gauges will actually put on the system.

Dusty_Duster
06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't think gauges really pull that much power. I installed 2 electric gauges into my Ram and used the radio power to run them.

Your cigarette lighter should have its own fuse. Increase it to the next size.

minigts
06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
For the Chargers/Omni's there is a plug under the dash, close the A/C controls that has a bullet type plug. That wire supplies 12v, not sure if it's all the time though. There are LOTS of wires under the dash and behind where you are mounting that will supply key-on 12v, just use a test light. Always test with the car on and off though, just to confirm which wires supply power when the car is off. :)

Dusty_Duster
06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think gauges really pull that much power. I installed 2 electric gauges into my Ram and used the radio power to run them.

Your cigarette lighter should have its own fuse. Increase it to the next size.

Oh, and the easiest way to get lighting for your gauges is to use the illumination wire going to the radio, as well. :thumb: