PDA

View Full Version : Need 20A switched source

Turbo3Iroc
06-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey Guys, I need a switched 12V 20 amp source and I know people are adding stuff on their trucks but this is stressing me. I tried to add in a circuit for one of the few open fuses on the power distribution module but there wasn't any listing for the output wire. Also tried tapping into them and everything seems to be on all the time. I also didn't see a way to open the module to add the wire in myself. I then tried to tap off the windshield wiper circuit but it seems that wire only sees power when the wipers are on.

The link below is where I am getting the diagrams from:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

2004 Ram Quad Hemi etc

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I know there's a lot of Ram owners on the board here. Anyone dine anything like this? I'd rather not wire it to a switch.

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 12:49 AM
find the switched wire to you radio, or probably your cig lighter, tap into that and run it off of a relay, using the switched source to click the relay on, hold in Ill find a diagram

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
pin 30 to battery
pin 86 ro ground
pin 87 to whatever you are turning on
pin 85 to you switched source

http://www.arnnworx.com/relay.gif
basically you are using your switched source to engage the relay then drawing current directly from you battery so you aernt adding a draw on that circuit

edit- you should be able to find a basic bosch relay at autozone or whever in the foglight section

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 12:56 AM
There's some open relay spots in that module but I probably can't use one of them since I don't have access inside the box?

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 12:57 AM
what module? what are you hooking up? I wouldnt want to add 20amps to any existing circuits

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I need to power the hydrogen bottle in my lounge thread.

I am referring to the power distribution module. I don't see a way to open it up and wire the open relay points up.

So you are saying to mount a relay under the hood some where and tap off one of the switched output wires from the power module?

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 01:05 AM
thats what i would do, run it off a relay, you probably wont be able to use any exisiting spots in the pdc, there might not even be wires going to them and if there is who knows where they go. Just put a relay on a switched source and that is your best bet as to no mess up anything with the factory stuff

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok, thanks.

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 01:11 AM
if you add alot of stuff or have other cars to add stuff buy a lot off ebay, thats what I do, they end up being cheaper, youll pay like $15 for one relay at the parts store, I like to have a few around, plus you get the plug and i like haveng the different wire colors, but if not you can just use the female spades
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-PACK-30-40-AMP-RELAY-HARNESS-SPDT-12V-BOSCH-STYLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQihZ010QQite mZ200230377913QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I'll keep those in mind but I'm kind of in a pinch and need this up and running this week.

bfarroo
06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
if you add alot of stuff or have other cars to add stuff buy a lot off ebay, thats what I do, they end up being cheaper, youll pay like $15 for one relay at the parts store, I like to have a few around, plus you get the plug and i like haveng the different wire colors, but if not you can just use the female spades
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-PACK-30-40-AMP-RELAY-HARNESS-SPDT-12V-BOSCH-STYLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6779QQihZ010QQite mZ200230377913QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Also when at the JY open the hood of any newer car and pull a few, If your buying other parts they usually won't charge you squat.

JDAWG
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Also when at the JY open the hood of any newer car and pull a few, If your buying other parts they usually won't charge you squat.

I put them in my pocket anyways haha

Turbo3Iroc
06-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Tried the radio output wire but it has constant power. Finally found an ignition wire that was switched to run the relay. See my hydrogen thread for pics. Thanks.

Benji, you going out to SDAC?

bfarroo
06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Tried the radio output wire but it has constant power. Finally found an ignition wire that was switched to run the relay. See my hydrogen thread for pics. Thanks.

Benji, you going out to SDAC?

Yep I'll be there, Heading down to Milwaukee on Friday night after work and then we'll leave there Saturday and meet up with the Chicago guys for the rest of the trip.