PDA

View Full Version : Q's on installing rear main seal

JuXsA
03-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I was looking in the fsm and it says to get "loctite bearing 'n stud" to put on the rear main seal. I went to the local car parts store and asked them about that. They had never heard of it and told me they just use hitemp rtv.... So is that what this loctite stuff is or do I need to find this stuff? I am not replacing a seal. I am rebuilding the motor and have the end caps off....

Thanks

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 02:29 AM
You need "anerobic sealer", its made my Permatex and is in a blue container. The goop is red.
Make sure the parts are clean and apply a thin coat to either the seal or retainer and install the seal. This stuff cures without air. Now make sure the block is clean and goop the block or retainer, light coat is all thats needed. Assemble. Do the same for the front retainer and aux shaft retainer and seal, :thumb:

JuXsA
03-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Right on. Can I just go to a carparts store and ask for that stuff? I was originaly going to use RTV to do alot of the sealing... should I just use that anerobic stuff?

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 01:29 PM
RTV will work but Anerobic is better. Any parts store should have it. Use RTV on the oil pan end seals and in the corners.

JuXsA
03-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks. I have heard that I can also use red loctite. If I can't find this anerobic sealer can I just use that?

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I have heard that I can also use red loctite. If I can't find this anerobic sealer can I just use that?

No, red loctite isn't a sealer, it will leak if you use that. If your parts store doesn't have Anerobic, find a new one.

Darkwolf
03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I couldn't find any when I was looking at either Advanced or autozone. Had to go to Napa.

5sp. mini
03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
on the rtv use it as light as you can. don,t want it inside the pan. bad for oil pick up . AL

tryingbe
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Napa or Carquest WILL have Anerobic Sealer.

I have 12oz of it from Carquest.

JuXsA
03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
thanks for the tips. I am going to go to the napa today and pick some up

JuXsA
03-10-2006, 05:02 PM
well no one new what the hell I was talking about when I said I needed anerobic sealer. Even at NAPA. I did go to this mechanic shop that does awesome work. I told them what I needed to do and they sold me loctite anerobic gasket maker 518. Its a clear tube with redgoop. This what they said they used. It lists for almost $25 but they were awesome and sold it to me for $10. I am so going to be buying parts from them for a long long time

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
well no one new what the hell I was talking about when I said I needed anerobic sealer. Even at NAPA. I did go to this mechanic shop that does awesome work. I told them what I needed to do and they sold me loctite anerobic gasket maker 518. Its a clear tube with redgoop. This what they said they used. It lists for almost $25 but they were awesome and sold it to me for $10. I am so going to be buying parts from them for a long long time

Yep, thats the stuff, :thumb: