PDA

View Full Version : Got the shelby running...but one problem lerks!

89ShelbyGuy
03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey guys...got my shelby running...Well...after the car gets warm and i come to idle the oil pressure scares me. i have autometer gauge but when it gets low i can't get a accurate reading because the gauge goes from 0 -10, 15 and so on...well at idle its in between the 0 - 10..

The engine i just put in this is a 2.5 and was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago.
The head was rebuilt and tested and all the good stuff..No noises once so ever.

I put 5w30 in there....
Also, would timing effect this at all? cause my timing is alittle off cause my timing light broke as i was adjusting the distr. to the 12 degrees at timing...it stoped at 8 or 9....
And the rule of thumb, 10 psi for every 1000 rpm, well my pressure is esacly that while driving...
Oh for more info...don't know if it matters, but i used a 2.2 Dipstick tube on the 2.5 cb. Does it make a difference?I also put on a 2.2 cb pan.

After spining a bearing on the last motor i sure as hell don't wanna do it again....

LMK!
Thanks!
Tom

Force Fed Mopar
03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Mine's the same way, about 5psi at idle when warm w/ 20W50 oil. Brand new engine, 20k on it. I had a guy who is pretty familar with these engine tell me that even when new they issues like this, but that they never seemed to have problems from it. He said they run just enough oil pressure to keep from squeaking lol.

Timing has absolutly nothing to do with oil pressure.

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Timing has absolutly nothing to do with oil pressure.

Not indirectly but if the pump is hard to turn, it will make the aux shaft stutter and make the timing jump around, or if the gear is damaged, :(

Your oil pressure sounds fine, spec is 5 psi or higher, :nod:

I am pretty sure the dipstick tube is the same but the dipstick itself is different.