PDA

View Full Version : clutch just doesnt feel right

bprime
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
hi people long time since ive had a prob to post, i have about a 6 month old clutch had it put in by pros. Anyway when i step clutch it feels way to light like there is no pressure, and sometimes it doesn't come back up right away it slowly does, any ideas the garage told me its not the clutch so its no under warenty.

The other prob i got is i had new shocks put on 2 months ago, and when i have someone in back of car and hit pot hole my tires rub fender wells, they never used to and keep in mind i did upgrade to 16" tires but they never rubed just shocks used to be going casue of bad ride, hence why i had new ones. garage says shocks are fine and the rubbing is nothing to worry about but i dont get why it would start rubbing now, i was thinking mabey the shocks arent stiff enought i know nothing about suspension or clutches hence why im here.

shadow88
03-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I'd start by checking your clutch cable for fraying at either end, that could be your issue there, as for the rear tires rubbing? Shocks make little to no difference on ride height (closer to no than little) I've seen some 16's that just fit poorly, maybe too much play in the rear wheel bearings, or possibly, your friend is on the chubby side:thumb:

SwiftTech
03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
the rear springs are probably weak and sagging, pretty common on td's.

bprime
03-10-2006, 01:25 AM
how hard are rear springs to change. Figure its probly that to, and is there any springs on the clutch petal sorry if that sounds dumb.

Force Fed Mopar
03-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Maybe your pressure plate is going bad? Does it slip at all? The shop may just not want to change it. I don't know of anything that would go bad in the linkage that would cause that, after all it's just a cable hooked to a pedal.

Or maybe it's just broken in? Never had anything like that happen w/ any clutch I ever had, but you never know.

GLHSKEN
03-11-2006, 09:47 AM
There is a spring in the clutch pedal assembly. I agree with above... check the cable for issues. Have somepone watch it while you depress the pedal.

2.216VTurbo
03-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I've had a 'soft' pedal feel before even though it was a fresh clutch. Turns out the bracket/clip that secures it underhood had come loose so when it was pressed it would move to the side and would be 'taking up slack' for the first 1/3 of it's travel.

Another local guy got very frustrated when his new Clutchnet clutch was soft, he tried all the tricks and ended up pulling the trans to have the assembly inspected. He took it back to the shop and they checked the pressure of the plate, the hub, the Marcel-everything and it checked out fine. So he put it back in the car (if I say it was a CSX-T with a 16V Masi motor in it everyone will know who I am talking about and he would be embarrassed, so I won't say anything:lol: ) and it had the same problem. He replaced the cable, even the arm was taken off and I had him grind the indexing spline out so he could reclock the arm one tooth higher. Still didn't help. When he finally gave up on it, another experienced TD tuner (with a gold 11 second Omni :D ) checked out the set up and in about five minutes, found that the carpet had gotten into the cable cam assembly with the cable looped over it. Every time pedal was depressed, the carpet would squish down enough to cause the soft pedal. It took like three minutes to fix it;)

PTT
03-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Isn't there a way to pull up on the clutch pedal to ratchet-adjust for any slack in the cable? Just a thought.