PDA

View Full Version : idle acting strangely

Clay
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Drove the GLHT for the first time today. Ive drove it around the block to check brakes and such, but never got out on the open road with it until today. Well, I already knew the idle would seem ok when you start up, but then after driving, it would stay way to high, even after coming to a stop. So Im assuming the SDS was bad. (and still is).

Today I tried to temporarily remedy the problem (as it really annoys me), so I started the car and go the idle at a some what normal level, then I unhooked the AIC plug, and figured the idle would just stay at that point all the time. Well, I was wrong. The idle still stays high after you slow down and come to a stop, most of the time. I can get it to come down by blipping the throttle (sometimes this works), or just waiting 30 seconds (most of the time this will work, sometimes it never moves and stays high). I figured with the AIC disconnected the idle would be FORCED to what ever I set it to, but something else must be keeping the idle up. Any suggestions??? (and no, no vacuum leaks).

Clay

Turbodave
06-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Try plugging the AIS back in, inducing a big vacuum leak to cause the AIS to close, then disconnect it. Start it back up then and use the screw on the throttle body to adjust the idle speed.

Clay
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
ok, Ill go reset the base idle, but I still dont understand how the idel can be way to high when the AIS is unplugged. ;)

Turbodave
06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
ok, Ill go reset the base idle, but I still dont understand how the idel can be way to high when the AIS is unplugged. ;)

I would guess vacuum leak, but you said you've already been there....

Have you checked the PCV valve make sure that's not leaking?

Timing jumping around? Maybe loose shutter in the dist or worn gear on the oil pump?

MopàrBCN
06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
One thing I did not understand fully: You mentioned, that you drove the car for the first time today. Does this mean it was stored for a while, maybe with the battery unplugged? In that case it would be normal to behave like this. I didn't beleive it myself but it can cost you 100 miles of driving until all of a sudden it is fine and stays fine.

Clay
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah, the car hasnt been driven in like 2 years, and it was converted to a TII setup, and never ran with that. I found a bad connection in the lines last night, but it didnt seem to make any difference. I found that when I was trying to set the base idle like dave suggested, because it wouldnt even try to idle down when I induced a large vacuum leak. I need to try to reset the base idle again I since I fixed the wire.

oldgregg
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
How's your speed sensor?

With the numerous TD's I've owned in the past a non working, or even a working but intermittently faulty speed sensor will cause these high idle conditions you write of.

Even if it's working, replace (since they're so easy) it & see if the condition goes away.

iangoround
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
When i converted my laser to T2, it did exactly this. It wound up being a bad AIS. At cold start up for some reason it worked ok, but once it warmed up it would either idle way high and not come down for about 30 seconds or stall out unless you held the throttle open some.

I'd pull that AIS and check it for operation.

Clay
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I suspect the SDS is bad, BUT my CEL circuit isnt working for some reason.

Ill also check the AIS to make sure its at least moving a little ;)