PDA

View Full Version : One reman axle better than another?

Clay
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Locally I have reman axles available from:

Cardon (advance)
Power Line (advance)
Duralast (autozone)
Master Pro (O'Reilly)
Napa (who ever makes theirs, and WOW is the core charge expensive!)

so, are any of them better than the others? Autozone seems to have the best deal considering I dont have a core. (upgrading from equal length to long pass axle)

mcsvt
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I bought my un-equal from Advanced, been serving me well for over a year.

Clay
06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess I should state:

5300 RPM clutch drop launches on slicks will happen! ;)

mcsvt
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Want me to go test that? No slicks here though... and I think my car is heavier then yours :)

cordes
06-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I believe that they are all a crap shoot. If you get one that has used a saginaw axle for the core you are set. I haven't had that happen yet. Does anyone know what would the odds be of that with an L-body anyway?

BadAssPerformance
06-10-2008, 12:42 AM
I guess I should state:

5300 RPM clutch drop launches on slicks will happen! ;)

*knock on wood* the stock equal lengthers in my Shadow take that

+1 to crapshoot.

Marcus86GLHS
06-10-2008, 04:32 AM
"....Does anyone know what would the odds be of that with an L-body anyway?......"

every 2.2L turbo L-body i have looked at and known to have original axles has the orange tape color, the shop manual says these are Citroen axles.

Autozone axles have that no-questions-asked lifetime warranty, nice to have when you are dropping the clutch at 5,300 rpm's.

slasky
06-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced switched to the one time replacement plan. Last time I checked autozone had the life time replacement. I run an unequal length autozone that survives 5k clutch dumps on slicks with my SC. I have replaced it once just because I felt like it; not because it broke.

bradp
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Clay,

CV Source in Indy do the best axles and have decent prices too.

Clay
06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Hmmmmm another possibility. So how does this work Brad? you give them an axle, they make a copy or what?

CSXT802
06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Give these guys a call. www.axle-exchange.com

bradp
06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmmmmm another possibility. So how does this work Brad? you give them an axle, they make a copy or what?

They have them in stock. You will need cores though.(317) 546-1140 I think the name has changed to something like Indy rack & axle though.

Clay
06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
brad, do they build their own axles?

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes its indy rack and axle. Wow Brad its been indy rack and axle since 99 I believe.. lol.. No but they do really good work and stand by their stuff. Usually you can drop it off and its done the same day. None of this BS wait for freakin ever like some speed shops tend to be.. If I wanted to go fast it meant I didn't have much patience in the first place ;) I believe they have a lot of the parts on hand and rebuild your axle. I'm not sure about doing their own. I'd call them up on that? Last time I checked autozone only does a 3 time exchange. After that your on your own. A certain someone told me I could use his warranty which I don't like to do but didn't have money on hand at the time and sure enough he had used his like 9 times on 3 different axles..:confused:

Clay
06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
biggest problem appears to be that I dont have a core.

I should probably just break down and by some DSS axles. ;)

RoadWarrior222
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Hmmm I was just looking around actually trying to figure out who made my last remans, (RUN AWAY!!! ) so you could avoid them but can't find any clues. Those had the inner screw up first (and it would actually jump out and start grinding on a turn under power) and I had dodgy inners on the ones that come off that time, and the only real problem I've had with the outers is that boots got torn/rotten and crap got in. So it's kinda worrying to me how much emphasis these rebuilders put on the outer joints, how good they do those when I've had far more problems with the inners...

Clay
06-10-2008, 11:32 AM
well I think for now Im just going to go with an autozone special! ;) if I have problems with it I can always replace it a couple times for free then upgrade to DSS stuff at some point.

RoadWarrior222
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
If you're worried about snapping them, they always seem to go where they neck down, so you could check that for machining marks/scores and manually peen it all round with a small hammer.