PDA

View Full Version : TB upgrade?

WickedShelby88
06-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Does anyone here use the 52mm TB versus the smaller one used on the later 3.0's. My 94 van still has the stocker and I'm wondering if there is any gain by running the larger TB and taller plenum.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
HEY WICKED, A LITTLE, ''THE DODGEGARAGE.COM'', HAS A NICE WRITE UPS,AND DYNO ,STUFF TRIED ON THE 3.Os

nmw2006
06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I have used both tb's on my cars. (46 and 52)

There is definitely a difference in top-end power with the bigger tb.

And a nice k&n cone right on the tb makes it sound nice too :eyebrows:

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 01:21 AM
From what I've read so far is that the TB, K and N cone, and underdrive pulley will make a noticeable difference. I may even open the exhaust up a little, but use a good muffler like a magnaflow so it doesn't sound gay. Thanks for the info guys. Good to hear about someone whos used one.

Ondonti
06-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Taller plenum has a funny design inside. Most people take the newer non EGR and port the insides (removing the divider completely).

You can take the taller upper and mix it with a newer lower plenum i believe and make a larger volume plenum.

WickedShelby88
06-11-2008, 03:32 AM
Well it looks like I won't get to experiment much until I find out whats causing my ping under normal acceleration. I changed the fuel filter not too long ago. Either the pump is leaning out on me or something else.

Ondonti
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
is the timing advanced too far?

WickedShelby88
06-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Its in the same spot it was when I got the thing. Not sure how to set base timing on a 3.0 anyhow.
might not be a bad idea to retard it a little bit to see if that helps. Its ran like that since I got the thing 2 years ago though.

Ondonti
06-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Someone might have set it wrong.

Unscrew nut. Clockwise = advance, counterclockwise = retard.

Using a timing light you need to clean off the timing tab (that says 0 5 10 15 20) and put some whiteout (paint) on the divits in the crank pulley so they are visible when the timing light flashes. You must unplug the 2 wire coolant temp sensor while setting timing or you cant see the base timing. I also put some whiteout on the timing tab to make it easier to see. I scratched off the whiteout with some sandpaper and hope that some of it stayed in the numbers so they are easier to see.

Maybe there is a TDer near you who can help. I dont really remember how I figured out how to set timing.

If you want to cheat, make a mark on the distributor and the base so you know where it was before and try moving it counterclockwise a little. That way you can get it back to where it was before without using a timing light. I usually dont set the timing on my 3.0's with a timing light. I just back them off when they detonate at low rpms on hills since it doesnt hurt anything. Not really acceptable procedure on most turbo cars if you are knocking under boost.

93sundance
06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Haha.... I never used a timing light on mine the whole time. I just played with the timing at the track. I never noticed any detonation on 93 octane.

WickedShelby88
06-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah I don't really notice the detonation on premium, but trying to get my wife to put it in is like pulling teeth. She knows it not necessary for that old van so it won't ever get it. I don't drive it, but when I do that pinging makes me nervous with it having 250k on it.

Ondonti
06-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Do what I said, and run the lowest octane available. Running too much advance will also hurt your fuel economy a lot. It will also make you dump lots of emissions.

WickedShelby88
06-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Well I backed the timing off yesterday without a light. The van not only runs stronger, but doesn't smoke near as bad(typical 3.0) and only has a hint of ping when I was really pushing it in the dry warm 85 degree air. I think it should be good for illinois weather now. The only thing is I got to put gas in and was running 93 at the time so I may need to back it off some more with a timing light when I get one. It worked though just to unplug the coolant temp sensor like the other engines. I may change the temp sensor and TPS just to be on the safe side because I think I have a dead spot in the TPS from all the stupid traffic woes of having to be on and off the gas all the time for people who can't drive at least 55 in a 55. Van now has 251k on the odometer so I cannot be too careful thats for sure.

Ondonti
06-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Nothing wrong with pulling back a little more timing. As long as you have it marked where it originally was, you cant really hurt yourself because you can always go back to where it was.
Carry around a 12mm wrench and mess with it periodically. Its harder to undo the nut when the engine is hot though.

WickedShelby88
06-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Haha.. yeah I did it while it was warm. Its pretty easy to get to on a minivan. I'm thinking I may have went too far as gas mileage seems to have worsened or it could be cause I can't keep my foot out of it now that it seems so much stronger. May have to upgrade the TB soon now.