PDA

View Full Version : My Rivalry with SRT-4 Punk

GLHS592
03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
This local punk kid, that happens to drive an SRT-4, and I have developed quite a rivalry on our local forum (www.tennesspeed.net). It started out with him talking about how he only runs from a roll and I started making fun of him. Tons of trash talking ensued. A few days later, we meet at a local restaurant and set up the race. We agreed we’d hit it from a side street. Well, we get out there and all the sudden he changes the rules and starts this horn honking BS. He ends up going well before we get to the side street as seen in the in car footage from this video taken from the race last fall. http://www.on3videos.com/glhsvssrt4.wmv That's ok. He can call it a win if he wants. Anyway, it gets started up again by one of his buddy’s yesterday and it’s all ablaze again. Well, we’re having a Tennesspeed Day at Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY in May and somebody started a poll. Here are the results of the poll.

I think that the poll results look a lot like what the race results will.

http://www.tennesspeed.net/members/tungsten/misc/spanking.jpg
:)

I thought that was hilarious.

Clay
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
:lol:

hehehe this is the same guy from before right? So are you guys having a show down at the upcoming get together I take it?

GLHSKEN
03-08-2006, 03:55 PM
That's great!!!

GLHS592
03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
:lol:

hehehe this is the same guy from before right? So are you guys having a show down at the upcoming get together I take it?

It's the same guy. He is a real tool in person too. He's got a bunch of sack riding buddies that he pays to wrench on his car for him. I thought he was playing the game when I asked him what he had going on under the hood. But after watching him and listening to him, I really don't think he knows.

I have about two months to get the dash back in the car and fix a boost leak before I can get serious about tuning it. :)

Marcus86GLHS
03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
KEVIN i remember this video from a few months ago, glad to read you two will be meeting at the OK Corral for the final shootout.

i look forward to your full write up, pictures, and video of the ----whooping your car will be handing out to that srt4.

turbovanman²
03-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Get your car done and give him a can of whoop a*s, :amen:

GLHS592
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
All his little buddies and the paid wrench are already running their mouths. Here's what the paid wrench said:

like me........Im gonna do everything in my power when i get back to make sure the new age dodge is ready for tennesspeed day......

and I think most of u are gonna be real suprised by the outcome...........if the old dodge didnt have enough gumption to pull back up last time(leaving early or not), he definatly isnt going to be able to do it now...

He says that like I'm just gonna leave well enough alone. :rolleyes: I imagine a car that runs mid 12's on 15-16 psi will really roll on 25 psi. :)

Right now, the poll is 19-10 in my favor. Oh well, if he beats me, I won't go crying around like he has.

Alberta_Daytona
03-09-2006, 02:29 AM
WOOP ---, and make sure someone video tapes it because I wanna see you kick his --- over and over again.

mid 12's on 16 psi.....NICE!, im guessing you will be low 11's with 25lb boost.

GLHSKEN
03-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Kevin, this will be with slicks right??? Your car will spin till 80+ without them. 12.5 @ 15-16 and a buck twelve... Add a few psi and yikes

GLHS592
03-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Slicks of course. When I ran him from the 40 mph roll, I was in 3rd gear. I hit it and blew off the street tires. I pedalled it twice and finally just decided to ride it out.

It was funny. At the time it happened, I just thought he spooled up fast and hooked. Well, I noticed he was hanging back a little, but his horn honking BS kinda distracted me. I was told that he plays that trick because it gives him a little head start. After watching the video, it became obvious that he went long before I did.

8valves
03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I want to come and play too! When is this by the way, maybe it'll give me and some friends another reason to take a little road trip. :)

Aaron Miller

GLHS592
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Aaron, it is May 13th and you have to be a member to go. Just sign up on www.tennesspeed.net and you're good to go. Some of you Cincy guys oughta sign up and come on down.

BadAssPerformance
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
sounds like fun! :thumb:

8valves
03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll look into it more when I know for sure if my car will be done by then or not. :(

Aaron Miller

turbovanman²
03-09-2006, 05:01 PM
We definatley need this event taped, :thumb:

cordes
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
I can't wait to see the results of this. I have zero respect for guys that talk loud about their cars when they have not done any of the work on them.

GLHS592
03-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Here's all I know about his setup:
He has a hybrid turbo (looked like a T04B) that I've seen with my own eyes. His hired wrench claims is a .48 A/R - 57 trim. He also has a big aftermarket intercooler and an alky injection reservoir that looked like junk and wasn't hooked up. Of course, this was a few months back. He's a rich spoiled kid that throws big money at the car.

He may flat out clean my clock. Rumor has it he's making 450 hp at the wheels. Of course, he couldn't drive it when it made 215 horsepower. He's only been to a track once and ran a 9.20-9.30 (1/8 mile) on street tires two nights before our so called "race".

Alberta_Daytona
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
.48 A/R and 450 hp? dang!

GLHSKEN
03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Where's the TORQUE!!!... Torque wins a drag race... T-M's own torque... Even my old mild set-up went 341 at the wheels...

GLHS592
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
.48 A/R and 450 hp? dang!

It more than likely ain't true or he's sporting another turbo. You wanna know when you can tell this guy and his buddies are lying? Their lips are moving.

GLHSKEN
03-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Torque baby!!! we got it!! Let their lipps move!!

GLHS592
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM

You and Reeves need to sign up and come on down. JT, you need to bring some down for Chi-town.

GLHSKEN
03-09-2006, 09:27 PM
My car is at the welder. If I can talk Reeves into it, he and I will be down.

Ondonti
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
nice joke, Tiny exhaust 57 trim making 450whp. Hah.

BadAssPerformance
03-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Not sure if the car will be back together by May, but we'll see...

Keito
03-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Kevin, forget about it, the SRT-4 is the greatest car evar!
You cannot win!
JK! This is why sometimes I regret owning the same car.
Maybe I should put SXT front end, rims and wing on it.
Makes me want to make my GLH streetable again.

glhs875
03-10-2006, 08:49 AM

A 2.4 can make gobs of torque as well. I own an SRT4, and ask Kevin Davis how torquey his engine is. Kevins car went 7.60's @ 94 mph with only a 1.9 60' and with only around 20psi in a heavy Daytona. His boost was staged and was still blowing 24.5 x 8 slicks away. And we discovered his torque converter had 50% slippage. That's way too much, should only have around 20% slippage. I hate to say it, but if they put the right turbo on that SRT4 and with a proper tune, an 8v engine better really be packing something to keep up.

Marcus86GLHS
03-10-2006, 09:02 AM
with all this smack talking and promo, if someone doesnt get this full race on video and post it for all of us i'm returning my T-M t-shirts.

you'll be sure that happens right?

and please go best of three rounds and tape it all.

Dave
03-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Mids twelves on 16psi is freakin' nuts! 25psi you should have his @ss. Get it on tape. Good luck to yeh.

glhs875
03-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Mids twelves on 16psi is freakin' nuts! 25psi you should have his @ss. Get it on tape. Good luck to yeh.

You can't take someone packing a 2.4 engine lightly. They can be very good running engines. I plan on going to one myself for the next engine I build up.

BTW, I hope Kevin does win. But he needs to quit talking about tuning up the power on his car and DO IT!!!

contraption22
03-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Ken, think of the 2.4 as having the same characteristics of a 2.5, with a cyl head that flows about 2x's as much. There is NO shortage of torque at all. My brother's 2.4 Neon which weighs roughly as much as a Shelby Charger went 11.95 @ 119mph while smoking the M&H's to a 2.4 60 ft time with only 13psi of boost.

A .48 A/R with a 57 trim compressor is just about the worst combination for an SRT-4 I can think of.

I think if Kevin turns up the wick, he should have no problem handing this SRT-4 it's ---. If this SRT-4 owner is like most, and so far he seems to be, his ego is 5 times more powerful than his driving skill. Just be prepared for a long list of excuses as to why he lost.

Anybody else want to try to convince me to go to the SRT Nats/SDAC? lol

GLHSKEN
03-10-2006, 09:26 AM
LOL gotcha... forgot it was an american engine.... 4-500 lbs will also be in Kevins court.

Hmmm 57 trim is also not the best for our cars.

GLHS592
03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
BTW, I hope Kevin does win.

I was beginning to wonder. :p

But he needs to quit talking about tuning up the power on his car and DO IT!!!

Brian, I've told you that I have some problems (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2641) with the car hitting a wall at 16 psi. It's also kinda hard to mess with the car since I'm living in an apartment 85 miles from where the car is stored. Every time I go to my parents' house it rains, so I haven't been able to try anything.

It's not like I haven't tried to turn up the boost. At SDAC-15, I never thought I'd make quick 8. When I was 7th in qualifying, I got scared I was gonna get bumped because there were about 3-4 cars on my heels that I knew were normally ran faster than my 12.538 second qualifying ET. So, I started cranking on the boost controller, but there was no change in boost level. Luckily, for me, only one of those cars passed me and I qualified 8th. Then I got my doors blown completely off by Ohio Rob while running a 12.54. :nod: As soon as I got home from SDAC, I had a wedding to prepare for, a honeymoon, sold my house, moved 85 miles away, and had to store all of my belongings including my cars.

So, give me a break. :p

A .48 A/R with a 57 trim compressor is just about the worst combination for an SRT-4 I can think of.

I'm about 99% sure he's swapped turbos since I saw it. If he's making the claimed 450 horsepower, then I know he has.

You know, I remember another high horsepower ride whose owner talked crap to another turbo Mopar owner and then got his doors blown off by the guy's K-car. :thumb:

87csx2.4
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm about 99% sure he's swapped turbos since I saw it. If he's making the claimed 450 horsepower,All I got to say is the setup I seen looked liked a big ole piece of sh-t.After you smoke him kevin then Im going to embarass him some more,All 450 horsepower:thumb: Let me know and before we go up there we will tune your car for some big boost with race gas.

GLHS592
03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Kevin, when is US 43 going to be open? I'll have to see if I can get the car to the track so we can test and tune.

glhs875
03-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Kevin, when is US 43 going to be open? I'll have to see if I can get the car to the track so we can test and tune.

Give me probably 4 to 6 weeks and I will bring my car for a test & tune also. I got my JE's and some more parts yesterday. I still have to get the ARP bolts put in the rods and have both ends resized, and pickup my intake that I had welded, so I can finish porting it out. Then I will be ready for assembly!! Iam starting to get excited! I should be able to demolish my best pure street tire time of 8.59 with at least a 150HP increase!!! Then it will be time to get serious with slicks!

87csx2.4
03-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Kevin, when is US 43 going to be open? I'll have to see if I can get the car to the track so we can test and tune.Im not sure some new people bought it so at least it will be opening.I would say pretty soon,from what I here no more brachet racing its all gonna be heads up.

GLHS592
03-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Find out when test and tune is. I'll have to take off work for Friday test and tune, but it will be worth it when I wax that gussied up NEon. :)

turbovanman²
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Come on, chanting it over and over, :thumb:

glhs502
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Kevin,,,go out there and kick his butt..

Dave
03-16-2006, 12:14 AM
All I got to say is the setup I seen looked liked a big ole piece of sh-t.After you smoke him kevin then Im going to embarass him some more,All 450 horsepower:thumb: Let me know and before we go up there we will tune your car for some big boost with race gas.

Put some steelies on, then do it. bwahaha

TurboGLH
03-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Ummmm, no. But I'm hoping that we have a nice east coast meet around the same time. I cant understand why anyone wants to drive to KS just to spend a weekend with a bunch of srt owners.

turbovanman²
03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Ummmm, no. But I'm hoping that we have a nice east coast meet around the same time. I cant understand why anyone wants to drive to KS just to spend a weekend with a bunch of srt owners.

Its more than that, you get to hang out with us, drag race, drink beer etc, :amen:

TurboGLH
03-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Its more than that, you get to hang out with us, drag race, drink beer etc, :amen:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/TurboGLH/drool.gif hmmmmmm beer. But really though, with the baby I won't be going to anything farther than e-town or carlisle.

contraption22
03-17-2006, 12:31 AM
I cant understand why anyone wants to drive to KS just to spend a weekend with a bunch of srt owners.

Dude, they can't get me to SRT meets that are 10-20 minute drives from my house, let alone 2 days drive.

I don't want to say that I hope that SDAC -16 is a failure, because I want the club to stay strong and grow. And I also think It's a good opportunity for west coasters to make it to a convention... but at the same time, I really hope this collaboration is a one-time thing.

BadAssPerformance
03-17-2006, 12:34 AM

SRT owners? I'm planning on hanging out with SDACer's! :thumb: and maybe showing a few SRT'ers what an old 8 valve mopar can do :D

johnl
03-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Come on, chanting it over and over, :thumb:
I signed up and PAID last night! My Santa Fe Springs Blue GLHT should be roaring by then. Gonna tow it with Fire Engine Red '67 Ranchero.

GLHS592
04-23-2006, 08:58 PM
This big showdown ain't happening. His SRT-4 got the HAIL beat out of it. Sorry, lame joke. :) He claims that the recent hailstorms totalled his car. Also, the engine has been out of the car for months. :)

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
This big showdown ain't happening. His SRT-4 got the HAIL beat out of it. Sorry, lame joke. :) He claims that the recent hailstorms totalled his car. Also, the engine has been out of the car for months. :)

I guess that's how it goes when you are playing in a band.

mcsvt
04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
So you win by default :) :thumb:

Marcus86GLHS
04-24-2006, 04:19 PM
This big showdown ain't happening.

well that sucks i was looking forward to it.

so when's your next track shake-down for your car? going to hit 11's?

GLHS592
04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
I will be taking the car to Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, KY May 13th. That is the Tennesspeed Day (www.tennesspeed.net) event.

The last time I had the car at the track (SDAC-15) it ran mid 12's on 15-16 psi. It's running 21 psi now. I really haven't had the time to adjust the tune, so I'm gonna throw some race gas in and hope for 11's.

Dietro
04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
I had not seen the video before, but there's one thing I noticed, and that's the careful editing. The clip ends at the precise second you start gaining on him. Figures...

You win by default, but the problem is that stinkin' video is still out in the wild, showing everyone how he "beat" you.

I'd have seriously considered making a trek up there to see this showdown. The 13th is a Saturday right? Hmmmm......did Kevin D. say he was going w/the 2.4L Daytona?

GLHS592
04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm not too worried about that video. Most people with any common sense can see that he jumped the gun. :rolleyes: Last time I talked to Kevin, he said he was gonna go.

Dietro
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Hmmmmm........tempting.....very tempting!!

Marcus86GLHS
04-25-2006, 05:30 AM
I will be taking the car to Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, KY May 13th. I'm gonna throw some race gas in and hope for 11's.

good luck i'm sure you'll do very well sporting the higher boost.

what do you run for gauges/engine monitoring (air/fuel, egt, boost, etc)?

GLHS592
04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
I had Kevin Davis help me set up my initial tune with his Innovate wideband. Right now, I'm using the same old junk Autometer gauges. I'm thinking my tune should be safe, especially with race fuel.

My wife and I are saving up to make a bigger downpayment on our house, so car stuff is on the back burner right now. I'm going to buy a Zeitronix setup when we get settled in the new house.

8valves
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
That picture in your avatar makes me miss those wheels. :(

Just had to add that- good luck at the track.

Aaron Miller

Marcus86GLHS
04-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm going to buy a Zeitronix setup when we get settled in the new house.

excellent unit, all in one, good choice.

i was hoping to see your car in the 11's because i was thinking how few 11.999 second or quicker, full-interior, street legal, show-quality TD's there are out there....not many. i am not a huge fan of gutted cars, or fast "eye-sores", or fast cars that cant sport a liscense plate.....i was looking at some mid 90's "Up Front" issues published by the SDAC and looking back just 10 years ago a TD going low 13's was nearly top of the game...these TD's have come a long way since then!

GLHS592
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
excellent unit, all in one, good choice.

I always wanted something that would datalog EGT and boost along with A/F ratio. I've heard nothing but good about them.

i was hoping to see your car in the 11's because i was thinking how few 11.999 second or quicker, full-interior, street legal, show-quality TD's there are out there....not many. i am not a huge fan of gutted cars, or fast "eye-sores", or fast cars that cant sport a liscense plate.....!

You are being WAY too kind with the "show-quality" comment, but thanks anyway. :p I agree with you. I love cars that look stock and go fast. My car doesn't have a heater, radio, or windshield wipers, so it wouldn't be a good driver. At least it doesn't scream "I'M A RACECAR" to everybody. Now, your GLHS is even cooler because it is an Omni and it still has all the factory weight. :thumb:

i was looking at some mid 90's "Up Front" issues published by the SDAC and looking back just 10 years ago a TD going low 13's was nearly top of the game...these TD's have come a long way since then!

You're right. I remember seeing a gutting Shelby Charger running at the Mopar Nats 11 years ago. I was pretty amazed at his low 13's. :o

Marcus86GLHS
04-25-2006, 05:08 PM
no heater or wipers? oh you're gutted. (j/k) hey i took out the a/c compressor and condensor (44 pounds) so i guess i'm gutted also. and your charger is as show quality as it gets.

ok here's the Up Front data on SDAC-4 drag racing, so thats like 1993? the fastest car was Dave Zelkowski's 85 Omni going 12.80 with #2 being Joey Mackay's 85 Charger going 12.91...those were the top dogs for the entire race field. all other cars were 13.37 and slower, amazing.

in 2006 these times wouldnt place in the top 10. maybe not even the top 20.

watch what happens on June 10 for our TD Day at LVD bet we see plenty of 11's....and some 10's.

Turbo Joe
05-07-2006, 02:53 AM
watch what happens on June 10 for our TD Day at LVD bet we see plenty of 11's....and some 10's.[/QUOTE]

I know I'll be trying to max out, well still working very hard to get everything done in what 2 weeks now? oh boy alot of late nites...

Marcus86GLHS
05-07-2006, 07:09 AM
JOE i am really loking forward to seeing that CSX again, glad you're making this event. Bill B. is going to try to get a location for all the TD's to pit in one place so try to look for that.