PDA

View Full Version : simplest 16 valve head swap

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 05:43 PM
so first off im ready to do a 16 valve conversion now just need some more info. i have heard that the first gen 2.0 dohc head is the simplest head to swap on. what makes it easier than the second or third gen. i plan on running a custom intake and exhaust so that i can use the stock distibuter and junk. another question is what holes do i gotta plug on the head i would like some more pictures or info on that. also my last question is about injectors and what choices do i have for them i plan for 400 horses in this lbody so i have been told 72pph will do well any info would help and yes i have looked most of this up and not found a whole lot before asking and these are my last questions un answered

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
The simplest is a TIII head swap, all completely bolt on-the only issue is the intake if you run the distributor-needs moving out, but there hard to find.

There really is no difference with any year DOHC head except the manifold bolt patterns are different but still lots of manifold options available.

There are plenty of links in this section showing pics etc but I am sure someone can post up more.

Good luck, its alot of work but so much fun, I love my 2.5 TIII engine, :clap:

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 05:55 PM
The simplest is a TIII head swap, all completely bolt on-the only issue is the intake if you run the distributor-needs moving out, but there hard to find.

There really is no difference with any year DOHC head except the manifold bolt patterns are different but still lots of manifold options available.

There are plenty of links in this section showing pics etc but I am sure someone can post up more.

Good luck, its alot of work but so much fun, I love my 2.5 TIII engine, :clap:

have heard that the lotus cams are super fragile are the aftermarket ones the same way

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
have heard that the lotus cams are super fragile are the aftermarket ones the same way

Cams? nope, stock they did tend to go flat but they are easily reground or repaired. The heads do like to crack but 99% are easily fixed. The rockers are fragile but can also be fixed and new lifters are available from FWD. The bottom end is all regular TM stuff.

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Cams? nope, stock they did tend to go flat but they are easily reground or repaired. The heads do like to crack but 99% are easily fixed. The rockers are fragile but can also be fixed and new lifters are available from FWD. The bottom end is all regular TM stuff.

cracking? tell me more and yeah my bottom end is gonna be built like a tank gonna do it right the first time but the top end is the problem getting to that 400 horse mark that and tuning and i would like a 16 valve if i want more than 400 horse:hail: and the motor im starting withs a common block 2.5 but im afriaid it will not rev high enough for my light car to be worth while

bradp
06-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Maserati is easier, isn't it but more expensive?

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 06:41 PM

maybe but i know trying to get parts is a royal pain

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
cracking? tell me more and yeah my bottom end is gonna be built like a tank gonna do it right the first time but the top end is the problem getting to that 400 horse mark that and tuning and i would like a 16 valve if i want more than 400 horse:hail: and the motor im starting withs a common block 2.5 but im afriaid it will not rev high enough for my light car to be worth while

The heads tend to crack between the cam galley but its fixable. I have lighter and stronger rods, its balanced and rev it to 7000 rpm, but I wouldn't recommend it staying there all the time. The heads flow so much and you have alot of power under the curve. If you want a revver, go 2.2L.

This is my buildup if interested-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16425&highlight=TIII

I think your right but parts are unobtanium and more than the TIII, :(

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM
The heads tend to crack between the cam galley but its fixable. I have lighter and stronger rods, its balanced and rev it to 7000 rpm, but I wouldn't recommend it staying there all the time. The heads flow so much and you have alot of power under the curve. If you want a revver, go 2.2L.

This is my buildup if interested-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16425&highlight=TIII

I think your right but parts are unobtanium and more than the TIII, :(

yeah you cant rebuild a masi since you cant get parts for them and im not sure what i want since the van i bought has a freshly rebuilt 2.5 in it ready to go would just have to swap the head and its good for 300 or so but i think i would like the revs or a 2.2 in a 86 sc

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah you cant rebuild a masi since you cant get parts for them and im not sure what i want since the van i bought has a freshly rebuilt 2.5 in it ready to go would just have to swap the head and its good for 300 or so but i think i would like the revs or a 2.2 in a 86 sc

If you run a TIII head, you need custom pistons otherwise the compression is too low. Neon head, your fine.

bgbmxer
06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
If you run a TIII head, you need custom pistons otherwise the compression is too low. Neon head, your fine.

thought the 2.5 pistons were ok to run with the 16 valve but if i have to change them then im going full forged pistons rods and 4 bolt mains and be done with it. guess i will have to find a lotus head awhile, that should be fun

2.216VTurbo
06-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Not true, in you can in fact *find* a Masi head to run, all the top end parts are availble now via RDIperformance.com Valves, springs, shims, buckets, guides... And Like Brad P said, it IS THE SIMPLEST 16V head swap:amen:

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2008, 11:48 PM
thought the 2.5 pistons were ok to run with the 16 valve but if i have to change them then im going full forged pistons rods and 4 bolt mains and be done with it. guess i will have to find a lotus head awhile, that should be fun

Nope, the combustion chamber is bigger on a TIII so if you run stock 2.5 pistons, the compression is like 7:1. Cindy has 2.5 TIII pistons on stock.

You will need alot more than a TIII head, you need brackets, pulleys, ps pump and a few other odds and ends. Better off buying a used engine and selling the bottom end to recoup some costs.

Not true, in you can in fact *find* a Masi head to run, all the top end parts are availble now via RDIperformance.com Valves, springs, shims, buckets, guides... And Like Brad P said, it IS THE SIMPLEST 16V head swap:amen:

Why don't you tell us the prices and how much a Masi head is worth, IF you can find one, ;)

GLHNSLHT2
06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
heh my post didn't go through. Masi rocks. Gonna need some custom pistions and maybe custom rods. Then just run a 8v Commonblock underneath the head.

GLHNSLHT2
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Valve Cover Grommets $90
Spark Plug Valley Seals $80
Race springs $145
Buckets $450
Lash Caps $96
Ti Retainers $225
Valve Job - backcut of 30 degrees on intake $275+25 for fuel
Set lash $???
Exhaust guides $72

Now that's for the racing parts and setup :)

cordes
06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I'd be out at the VC grommets. :(

GLHNSLHT2
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
how much to weld the head? add aluminum plugs, replace the followers and lifters and the worn out camshafts? Oh then there's the oil pump/intermediate shaft issues where you could toast the whole motor at a whim? Am I leaving something out?

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Valve Cover Grommets $90
Spark Plug Valley Seals $80
Race springs $145
Buckets $450
Lash Caps $96
Ti Retainers $225
Valve Job - backcut of 30 degrees on intake $275+25 for fuel
Set lash $???
Exhaust guides $72

Now that's for the racing parts and setup :)

You've left out the price of a head, cams, manifolds ;) What accessory brackets does it use, 8v or Masi stuff?

TIII-:p

Valve cover gaskets, $60
Valve job $200 ish
Guides-$144 if needed-most likely not.
Updated lifters if you need them-$389
Springs-reuse
Valves-most likely reuse
Valve seals-$49

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
how much to weld the head? add aluminum plugs, replace the followers and lifters and the worn out camshafts? Oh then there's the oil pump/intermediate shaft issues where you could toast the whole motor at a whim? Am I leaving something out?

Guarantee thats cheaper than buying all the Masi stuff, let alone finding it.

GLHNSLHT2
06-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Finding it is easy. A nice phone call or Email to RDIperformance.com and it's done. But like I stated that's for the race parts. I could of re-used my springs/buckets and retainers, lash caps, spark plug valley seals and valve grommets. But I plan to rap this puppy to the moon so I want some light valve train and some new seals.

Well I just picked up a NOS head for $2300. 0 miles complete. Uses regular 8v accesories except for the A/C bracket and a Chevy style A/c compressor.

cordes
06-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Finding it is easy. A nice phone call or Email to RDIperformance.com and it's done. But like I stated that's for the race parts. I could of re-used my springs/buckets and retainers, lash caps, spark plug valley seals and valve grommets. But I plan to rap this puppy to the moon so I want some light valve train and some new seals.

Well I just picked up a NOS head for $2300. 0 miles complete. Uses regular 8v accesories except for the A/C bracket and a Chevy style A/c compressor.

When thinking about what other people spend on a motor to make 4-500HP $2300 really isn't bad for a complete top end.

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 02:53 AM

$2300, holy shiat, :wow1:

I don't think I have that in my TIII build, the WHOLE motor, ;)

When thinking about what other people spend on a motor to make 4-500HP $2300 really isn't bad for a complete top end

I would assume and he can correct if I am wrong, that is just a bare head.

bgbmxer
06-09-2008, 04:06 AM
how would the masi head be better than the lotus head still i have not seen any performance cams or intake things like that so i was thinking the lotus head would be simpler to meet my goals and since im using a distributer still correct me if im wrong. and i know the pullys and brackets will be a pain in the arse but i wont have ac to mess with just all the other things

cordes
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
$2300, holy shiat, :wow1:

I don't think I have that in my TIII build, the WHOLE motor, ;)

I would assume and he can correct if I am wrong, that is just a bare head.

He said complete. Isn't that about that the complete TIII heads go for NOS?

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
He said complete. Isn't that about that the complete TIII heads go for NOS?

He just says NOS head, thats why I am guessing its bare.

Can you even find a NOS TIII head????????? Not sure what they go for, never looked, :o

cordes
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
He just says NOS head, thats why I am guessing its bare.

Can you even find a NOS TIII head????????? Not sure what they go for, never looked, :o

I have him quoted as saying thus.

"Well I just picked up a NOS head for $2300. 0 miles complete."

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I have him quoted as saying thus.

"Well I just picked up a NOS head for $2300. 0 miles complete."

Maybe I need sleep, like you, :o

bgbmxer
06-09-2008, 03:28 PM
so basically i could use either head but the fun stuff is the accesorys is what your saying then

also what pistons and rod would work with the masi head

bgbmxer
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
bump so what do you think the best route to go is masi head or lotus head and why? also is there much of a difference in them i see the masi has a distributer so it that why use sugjest the masi head im still up in the air on this:confused:

ShelGame
06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Very different. The biggest, IMO, is the valvetrain. The Masi is a 'Type I' - bucket and shim, where the Lotus/T3 is a 'Type III' - center pivot rocker. The Type I is usually considered superior due to the lower system mass. So, theoretically, the Masi should rev higher. In practice, though, I don't think it matters much. The Lotus doesn't seem to have much trouble revving. The Masi is much more compact, though.

bgbmxer
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Very different. The biggest, IMO, is the valvetrain. The Masi is a 'Type I' - bucket and shim, where the Lotus/T3 is a 'Type III' - center pivot rocker. The Type I is usually considered superior due to the lower system mass. So, theoretically, the Masi should rev higher. In practice, though, I don't think it matters much. The Lotus doesn't seem to have much trouble revving. The Masi is much more compact, though.

think its a little stronger also?

bgbmxer
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
any other oppinons on my future swap:confused:

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Weigh the costs and availability. You can usually find complete TIII cars/engines from $500-$1500, Neon head swaps can be done on the cheap, so thats another possibility and of course, Masi swaps but are harder to find than all the others. If it was me, I'd do TIII, Neon then Masi.

On a side note, the more I drive it, the more I love it, instant boost even with a stage III wheel, gobs of off idle power, passing is a snap, boo yah baby, :partywoot:

ShelGame
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
My preference is for the Masi, actually, for race applications. I think it's only flaws are on the supply side. That said, I'm going with a Lotus head just becasue it's the easiest in terms of installation and parts supply. Neon head is doable, but it's a lot of fabricated parts.

2.216VTurbo
06-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I like your preference Rob:thumb:...

bgbmxer
06-10-2008, 04:35 AM
ok so i gots an answer can anyone show me a piture of one of those cracks in the head? is it from the freeze plugs expanding at a different rate or what?

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
ok so i gots an answer can anyone show me a piture of one of those cracks in the head? is it from the freeze plugs expanding at a different rate or what?

Tons or reasons but they say its the coolant plugs which is fixable. Search the TIII section for pics, :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah and if you want, look at the pics of the Masi and TIII heads side by side I posted.

BGB, don't get the idea I am saying I think you should actually go with the Masi head, that would leave less of them for me to collect;)

Do your research, search old posts, then get the $$$ together. It's that last one that is usually the hard part:o...

bgbmxer
06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah and if you want, look at the pics of the Masi and TIII heads side by side I posted.

BGB, don't get the idea I am saying I think you should actually go with the Masi head, that would leave less of them for me to collect;)

Do your research, search old posts, then get the $$$ together. It's that last one that is usually the hard part:o...

yeah i agree on the money part but im still mostly in my research stage thats why im on here asking away and all advice is welcome anything to help me reach my goals. a masi head will turn some heads for sure also. i just know that you dont have to work as hard to make power with the 16 valve heads and it would be way better loking without all the un needed lines like on a neon head.

bgbmxer
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
also took a look at some of the pictures of the two and the masi head is way more compact which in an lbody size of things are a big issue and would probably nmake work easier

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
also took a look at some of the pictures of the two and the masi head is way more compact which in an lbody size of things are a big issue and would probably nmake work easier

You have to notch the frame when running the powersteering with a TIII.

bgbmxer
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
hits the subframe you mean

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
hits the subframe you mean

Frame, subframe, unibody, you know what I mean, :o

bgbmxer
06-10-2008, 07:58 PM
hate cutting on structural stuff thats no fun

2.216VTurbo
06-10-2008, 11:33 PM

Compact is a tough word to qualify here, the Masi head is MUCH narrower but because the cams sit above the valves not beside them, it is also much TALLER.

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Compact is a tough word to qualify here, the Masi head is MUCH narrower but because the cams sit above the valves not beside them, it is also much TALLER.

How about some pics? ;)

bgbmxer
06-11-2008, 04:32 AM
will it clear my tock shelby charger hood if so than i think the masi would be better

2.216VTurbo
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
How about some pics? ;)http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13554

Did you search Simon;)?

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13554

Did you search Simon;)?

Nope, forgot about that thread, and asking for the OP, :thumb:

Great comparison pics, it really shows the difference in height and width.

Have you ever weighed each head?

bgbmxer
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
will it clear a stock hood

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 04:30 PM
AFAIK, all the engines clear the stock hood.

bgbmxer
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
yeah well a masi head is not stock in an l body and u said its tall so im just making sure

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
yeah well a masi head is not stock in an l body and u said its tall so im just making sure

Didn't say it was, I said STOCK hood, ;)

2.216VTurbo
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM

There are at least 10 Masi L bodies out there that I know of, none with hood clearance problems.

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
There are at least 10 Masi L bodies out there that I know of, none with hood clearance problems.

Where? Pics? Times?

bgbmxer
06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
2nd on the pics and times and i guess i have to man up and go for the masi head i guess im gonna have to go to the dealer and price one see if they can get one and how much :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
2nd on the pics and times and i guess i have to man up and go for the masi head i guess im gonna have to go to the dealer and price one see if they can get one and how much :thumb:

I think there NLA. They stopped making this stuff in the 90's.

bgbmxer
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
we will see i know a few people at the dealer so they can kick over some stones for me. we will see what happens but if they dont have them where does RDI get theres at then

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 08:53 PM
we will see i know a few people at the dealer so they can kick over some stones for me. we will see what happens but if they dont have them where does RDI get theres at then

Probably old stock. He has tons of NOS TIII stuff too, must have been rich or saw the future years ago, :o

2.216VTurbo
06-11-2008, 11:40 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing an 11th Masi L body running around:eyebrows: Look around, check RDI, dealer, whatever stones you can turn over etc, if you don't come up with a head I *may* have a spare head or a whole motor, but be warned, they are pricey. Even a motor with 0 compression in one hole is a $3500. prospect:o

GLHNSLHT2
06-11-2008, 11:50 PM
RDI bought and buys all the Masi stuff he can get his hands on for the most part. He bought all of Mopars old stock and sold it off. Last I heard he has zero NOS heads anymore. Yes he makes some nice cash but works hard for it. He called me at 11:30pm his time the other night to discuss what I wanted done to my head. He had just finished up working. Poor guy. But he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Hopefully one day I'll be able talk to him without it being over the phone or email.

turbovanmanČ
06-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an 11th Masi L body running around:eyebrows: Look around, check RDI, dealer, whatever stones you can turn over etc, if you don't come up with a head I *may* have a spare head or a whole motor, but be warned, they are pricey. Even a motor with 0 compression in one hole is a $3500. prospect:o

Thats why I'd stick with a TIII, you can buy a car for less than that, not that I recommend you do that, :o

RDI bought and buys all the Masi stuff he can get his hands on for the most part. He bought all of Mopars old stock and sold it off. Last I heard he has zero NOS heads anymore. Yes he makes some nice cash but works hard for it. He called me at 11:30pm his time the other night to discuss what I wanted done to my head. He had just finished up working. Poor guy. But he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Hopefully one day I'll be able talk to him without it being over the phone or email.

Thats cool, heard good things about him, :thumb:

bgbmxer
06-12-2008, 04:49 AM
whole motor would not be a bad idea you have all the brackets and such which helps out

ShelGame
06-12-2008, 07:29 AM
B&G Chrysler has a couple of race-prepped Masi heads/motors for sale for (relatively) reasonable prices : http://www.bgchrysler.com/What_s_New/what_s_new.html

1992 #7 GTU Daytona Engine assy, Chrysler factory 2.3L,16V DOHC Maserati head,Crower billet crank,Titaninum rods,Venolia pistons, Kinsler fuel injection,Header,300+ HP $4,000

1990 Maserati TC 16valve DOHC cylinder head assy,under 500 miles run time,w/intake & exhaust manifolds $2,000

1990 Maserati TC 16valve DOHC complete engine & trans assy, 27,000 miles,only 500 of these vehicle were sold with this drivetrain (Rare). $3,000

2.216VTurbo
06-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Well then, you can meet him in Detroit at SDAC:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
B&G Chrysler has a couple of race-prepped Masi heads/motors for sale for (relatively) reasonable prices : http://www.bgchrysler.com/What_s_New/what_s_new.html

Not bad prices, way outta my league though, lol!

bgbmxer
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
still not sure yet on which one seeing as i dont have the cash anyways but will this winter so will scavenge then

GLHNSLHT2
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not going to Sdac though.

amcpacer
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Come on now Masi Heads are not that rare. I have a masi head in the closet with a set of pistons. I should hurry up and sell it to someone who actually intends to use it. LOL.

bgbmxer
06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
yea like me in a few months :) will make some big power with it

bgbmxer
06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
and another thing how did they get 2.3 liters out of it

amcpacer
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I believe both the 16V lotus and 16V masi are 2.2.

bgbmxer
06-12-2008, 09:10 PM
in some of the articles it says its 2.2 and others it says the masi is 2.3 its weird so how much would you want for that head

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2008, 10:54 PM
2.3 is a typo, Dodge never sold a 2.3 turbo engine to the public.

GLHNSLHT2
06-12-2008, 10:57 PM
B&G's has a custom crank and rods. Stock they're 2.2 liters.

2.216VTurbo
06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
That 2.3 Masi motor that B&G has is a custom Naturallly Aspirated motor. Sky high compression and big cams to get to 300 HP with no turbo...

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
That 2.3 Masi motor that B&G has is a custom Naturallly Aspirated motor. Sky high compression and big cams to get to 300 HP with no turbo...

Very cool, :thumb:

2.216VTurbo
06-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Come on now Masi Heads are not that rare. I have a masi head in the closet with a set of pistons. I should hurry up and sell it to someone who actually intends to use it. LOL.

Well maybe your Ebay reserve was too ambitious;) Or that head wouldn't still be in your closet... I had bids on a few of your lots from that motor...

bgbmxer
06-13-2008, 04:32 AM
well in a month or two i will be ready to buy a head so let me know