PDA

View Full Version : Would one of our vendors please step up...

Tony Hanna
06-06-2008, 01:53 AM
...and talk soffseal or a similar outfit into repopping some of these impossible to find P-body window scrapers and whatever else is getting rare in the way of molding and weatherstripping for our cars?
Or is somebody already on this?

Tony

supercrackerbox
06-06-2008, 03:36 AM
I intend to mention it to any vendor available at Power Tour on Tuesday, but I'm willing to bet it would take a sizeable investment to actually get anything made. Good pieces to copy, tooling, molds, R&D, it all takes time and money.

badandy
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Sizeable investment or not we need these parts!

It might be too much to bite off for one vendor to accomplish tooling/setup costs...but it wouldn't be for 2 or 3 to accomplish. It's too bad we have the strife between vendors that we do...we could get so much more accomplished if they worked together...and it would benefit everyone.

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Yea, the only problem with this is, if..and i mean IF it even gets atempted its all time and money...then they would want a ridculous amount of money for them, and no TDer would wanna pay the much because the reason why people buy these is because its cheap to make fast..and just plain out cheap to get...though, i bought my daytona because i love the body style on it! :)

I've been looking for some daytona t-top seals..i know one guy on here as a couple left, but hell, i think he want over 300 bucks for them!! no thanks...(though i am getting tempted to get them..lol)

What i find funny about seals and crap is, if you have a old dodge Ram, you can get any fricken part for it...who the hell buys a ram to make a nice looks truck?!?!?!? give me a break..i think they are ugly and old! but yet they make all the weather striping for those!!!! WHY?!?!?!? The company wasted there time and money molding and selling those!!!! WTF! Theres so many other cars and trucks that you can find things for....and the cars arn't even popular...nor good looking...i just don't understand.

Just my .02 cents!

Clay
06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
What i find funny about seals and crap is, if you have a old dodge Ram, you can get any fricken part for it...who the hell buys a ram to make a nice looks truck?!?!?!?

oh brother, you are your own hypocrite!

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
What?!? How so, please explain yourself...

70-90 Dodge ram........Yea...just a truck...woopty du!!

89 Dodge Daytona Shelby....HENCE THE SHELBY!

You must be a ram owner.....

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Forgot to mention, i am not dissing any dodge ram fan....in MY personal view...i don't really like them.....but thats my view...i know alotta people don't like daytonas....so if you like the truck good for you....but honestly, i have NEVER seen a nice looking older dodge ram.....

Turbodave
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
How can you not like a little red express truck? Anyhow there is a decent market for the old truck parts, I'm sure much bigger than the one for our cars.

Still I would love to buy a new weatherstipping kit for all my cars, it's gets tiring trying to work like a surgeon removing a slavageable piece from a junkyard car if you can even find one.

Tony Hanna
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I swear I remember watching one of the Sunday morning car shows and them talking about an outfit that you could send your old rubber parts to and they would reproduce them and send you new ones. I just wish I could remember who.

On a side note, another possible source to have some of this stuff made would be Steele Rubber Products. http://166.82.96.3/homeframes.html

90Dodgevnt
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
About 2 years ago, I asked Year One and a few other re-po companies what it would take to reproduce the 87-90 P body belt moldings/window scrapers.

$30,000 to make the mold for 1 side and a mimimum order of 100 pieces

Then take into consideration of what other door seals, etc on the Chargers, Daytona's, etc that need replacing and the cost just to make the mold(s). It's a lose lose situation unless someone has a buttload of money avail.

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey dave, i am just not a truck fan in general, and i never knew you were more into trucks then cars?!?!?! if you want, i can take all those parts off your hands so you can make room for your truck parts!!!:eyebrows:

Lol, 30 g's...lol..I think any shelby car should have a book of replacement parts just like all the other cars do...whats the deal...our cars arn't good enough?!?! BS if you ask me.

CORRECTION:
Read your statement wrong dave...but hell..i'll still take those parts...lol

Turbodave
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey dave, i am just not a truck fan in general, and i never knew you were more into trucks then cars?!?!?! if you want, i can take all those parts off your hands so you can make room for your truck parts!!!:eyebrows:

Lol, 30 g's...lol..I think any shelby car should have a book of replacement parts just like all the other cars do...whats the deal...our cars arn't good enough?!?! BS if you ask me.

CORRECTION:
Read your statement wrong dave...but hell..i'll still take those parts...lol

I like anything with wheels, Trucks are cool and a good way for me to move all those car parts around :thumb:

cordes
06-06-2008, 12:28 PM

As opposed to someone else's hypocrite? ;)

GLHS592
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM

AMEN!

70-90 Dodge ram........Yea...just a truck...woopty du!!

You mean 1972-1993. Truth be known, there are far more people into 1972-1993 Dodge trucks than 1984-1993 Dodge Daytonas. I see 20 or more of those trucks in any given day. I go weeks at a time without seeing a Daytona.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1972-1990 (I hate the 1991-1993 grill) Dodge trucks were much better looking than their GM and Ford counterparts.

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
You mean 1972-1993. Truth be known, there are far more people into 1972-1993 Dodge trucks than 1984-1993 Dodge Daytonas. I see 20 or more of those trucks in any given day. I go weeks at a time without seeing a Daytona.

Good for you, not trying to start a war here, as i see ram fans taking offence to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not meant to be...

Can anyone post on this board there own views and opinions without someone chiming in with childness replys? If someone said they hate daytona's i could really care less..They're just jealous :p :eyebrows: (meant to be a joke)

All i know is both are made in the USA and thats all that matters.

mcsvt
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I swear I remember watching one of the Sunday morning car shows and them talking about an outfit that you could send your old rubber parts to and they would reproduce them and send you new ones. I just wish I could remember who.

On a side note, another possible source to have some of this stuff made would be Steele Rubber Products. http://166.82.96.3/homeframes.html

Tony I remember seeing that show as well, either Two Guys garage or My Classic Car... Thinking the later, but it's been a while.

GLHS592
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Good for you, not trying to start a war here, as i see ram fans taking offence to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not meant to be...

Good for you... :rolleyes:

Can anyone post on this board there own views and opinions without someone chiming in with childness replys?

:confused2: What are you talking about? I assume you meant childish. Nobody chimed in with a childish reply. You made an ignorant statement and got corrected. How is that childish?

Clay
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Can anyone post on this board there own views and opinions without someone chiming in with childness replys? If someone said they hate daytona's i could really care less..They're just jealous :p :eyebrows: (meant to be a joke)

All i know is both are made in the USA and thats all that matters.

The problem is your view are that some ugly truck you dont like has parts available (though, I can tell you, they are VERY limited), and a vehicle you do like doesnt have these parts. Well, supply and demand must dictate that enough people like those old ugly trucks to justify the parts. SOOOOOOO either find enough people to sway the manufacturers to make what you want, OR put up the cash to do so yourself. Its obvious that people want them, but do enough want them to break even? Probably not any time soon.

I mean, in this hobby of FWD 80s dodge cars, I figured you would be used to not having new parts availabe by now. its the rule, not the exception. Unfortunatley, anything RWD (even those COOL old dodge Rams) has a better chance of getting aftermarket support with the masses, than we will.

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 01:58 PM
What are you talking about? I assume you meant childish. Nobody chimed in with a childish reply. You made an ignorant statement and got corrected. How is that childish?

And yet you continue. :confused2:

Was that needed?!

As far as I'm concerned, the 1972-1990 (I hate the 1991-1993 grill) Dodge trucks were much better looking than their GM and Ford counterparts.
I geuss i should of said ford or chevy eh? I was just making a point, not bashing.

GLHS592
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
And yet you continue. :confused2:

:confused2: You still don't make sense. You still haven't explained how any of our responses are childish. I've read what Clay and I have said and I see nothing childish.

You didn't like what we had to say and that's all there is to it. You insult a vehicle some of us like. What do you expect?

88_pacifica
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Switch G Body patforms... ;) :thumb:

You can still get LOTS of stuff for GM RWD G bodies.... :nod:

89ShelbyGuy
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Switch G Body patforms...

You can still get LOTS of stuff for GM RWD G bodies

LOL....ive been thinking of switching...oh have i.

You know what...

I apolgize for insulting your kind of truck.....but, lets be real...its a fricken truck, not a human being. You treat it like i insulted your kid....i am done posting on this thread. I am not going to sit here and bicker back and forth. Thats the childish thing to do. So back to topic,................

Tony Hanna
06-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Tony I remember seeing that show as well, either Two Guys garage or My Classic Car... Thinking the later, but it's been a while.
Yeah, I'm going to have to make it a point to watch those shows and hopefully catch a rerun of that episode and write down the name of the company.

badandy
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
As opposed to someone else's hypocrite? ;)

:lol: Cordes you crack me up!

cordes
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
:lol: Cordes you crack me up!

Why thank you. :thumb:

risen
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Lol, always pushing that GM crack, aren't you :) . I have a 65 chevelle that needs a whole buttload more than scrapers and I'm sure I'll be able to find every single little part for it. Such a shame that my CSX has to suffer.

GLHSKEN
06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
89, I fully understand where you are coming from..... These cars are a PITA for getting descent parts...

88_pacifica
06-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Lol, always pushing that GM crack, aren't you :) . I have a 65 chevelle that needs a whole buttload more than scrapers and I'm sure I'll be able to find every single little part for it. Such a shame that my CSX has to suffer.

It's addictive what can I say.... ;) :nod:

It's only because I KNOW when I get her done she won't "die" on me like some other unnamed brand... :lol:

denviola
06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Speaking of window scrapers, Spoke for a while with Don Pennington at SDAC 15 and 16. I believe he told me he found some really close material and redid the window scrapers in his 86 GLHS. Remembering he wasn't 100% satisfied at that time, and I didn't make SDAC 17 to chat with him although I believe his 86 S was there. Don has always been an incredible source of information, and really nice cars IMHO. Hopefully he will be at Detroit.

Denny

MiniMopar
06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Getting exact copies of the rubber/metal parts is not realistic. However there HAS to be something that can be bought in bulk that is close enough to the rubber parts that we can install new rubber ourselves. It's not easy to do, but the rubber can be separated from the metal in one way or another.

Tony Hanna
06-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Getting exact copies of the rubber/metal parts is not realistic. However there HAS to be something that can be bought in bulk that is close enough to the rubber parts that we can install new rubber ourselves. It's not easy to do, but the rubber can be separated from the metal in one way or another.

That would be fine with me! I wouldn't mind a bit putting in some time and effort to refurbish the original pieces as long as the result is relatively durable and works well.

supercrackerbox
06-07-2008, 12:39 AM

And interestingly enough, I will actually need pretty much everything for my '79 Regal. Who knows, maybe someday I'll actually get started on that car. :mad: I'm working about 4 months behind schedule on all my cars.

Still haven't found any of the drip rail trim yet either.

moparfwdsleeper
06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Daytona isnt even a real Shelby... I wouldnt waste the money on it;)

J/K about the money part, don't want to offend you:lol:

Im up for a kit... :)87 CSX and 85 GLH! CSX first though:p

89ShelbyGuy
06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Daytona isnt even a real Shelby... I wouldnt waste the money on it

I was waiting for that this whole post!!

IT IS TO ME!!!! So there!

I don't see your t-tops anywhere!!!!!!:p

moparfwdsleeper
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
dont need them when you own a shelby:) the bar is set in stone with a real one, there is only one shelby logo car that is up there with them(:)TIII '91 Daytona Shelby;)hint hint).

:pIm glad I was able to stop your waiting... Could have wasted alot of your time lol

raccoon
06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
what about restoring old sets of window scrapers? can we make a mold and pour silicone or something over em?

what company made them for Chrysler?

Tony Hanna
06-08-2008, 01:57 AM
what about restoring old sets of window scrapers? can we make a mold and pour silicone or something over em?

what company made them for Chrysler?

That's what Russ and Denny were talking about. Taking the original metal pieces and attaching new rubber to them. That would be a fine solution as long as somebody can figure out the right glue to attach the new rubber to the metal so that it doesn't come apart.

If something like that could be done, then maybe one of our vendors could start carrying a "repair kit" consisting of the rubber parts cut to the proper length for the particular car, whatever kind of glue works the best, and instructions for removing the old rubber, prepping the metal pieces, and attaching the new rubber.:thumb:

A.J.
06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I think it's funny that people think our vendors have so much money lying around to reproduce every little trinket on there car. If you look at what our vendors do supply, it's usually something that fits at least two, three or more cars. At least then they have a chance on making they're money back. Do you think TU would have developed their cast header if it only fit mini-vans or only Omni's. I bet any of our vendors have as much money to develop window scrappers for Shadows as you do. You should get into the window scrapper business and fill an obvious void.

A.J.

Bubba
06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Be nice to get some P-body vert window scrapers. Mine are in pretty good shape except for the rear driver's side has a tear.

88_pacifica
06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I think it's funny that people think our vendors have so much money lying around to reproduce every little trinket on there car. If you look at what our vendors do supply, it's usually something that fits at least two, three or more cars. At least then they have a chance on making they're money back. Do you think TU would have developed their cast header if it only fit mini-vans or only Omni's. I bet any of our vendors have as much money to develop window scrappers for Shadows as you do. You should get into the window scrapper business and fill an obvious void.

A.J.

AMEN!!! :amen:

Tony Hanna
06-10-2008, 12:33 AM

A.J.

I've seen contacting an aftermarket weatherstripping manufacturer, and throwing together a simple kit with off the shelf rubber, and glue to repair existing pieces mentioned as possibilities. Where is the major cash outlay in that? :rolleyes:
I don't think anybody here is foolish enough to expect FWDP or TU to tool up to actually manufacture the parts themselves.

A.J.
06-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Sizeable investment or not we need these parts!

It might be too much to bite off for one vendor to accomplish tooling/setup costs...but it wouldn't be for 2 or 3 to accomplish. It's too bad we have the strife between vendors that we do...we could get so much more accomplished if they worked together...and it would benefit everyone.

Apparently somebody does. And then after which ever vendor comes up with the "kit", a do-it-yourselfer who wouldn't want to pay their price would just figure out a cheaper way to do it and pass along the info. Destroying the R&D to come up with it in the first place. Like I said, there is a void that you could fill. Better yet, if your not into sales and marketing, design the kit, present it to a vendor and sell them your idea. That's the American way.

A.J.

cordes
06-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Apparently somebody does. And then after which ever vendor comes up with the "kit", a do-it-yourselfer who wouldn't want to pay their price would just figure out a cheaper way to do it and pass along the info. Destroying the R&D to come up with it in the first place. Like I said, there is a void that you could fill. Better yet, if your not into sales and marketing, design the kit, present it to a vendor and sell them your idea. That's the American way.

A.J.

No, Nay saying is the American way.

Tony Hanna
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Well maybe we should post a poll to see what everybody would rather have. The part #'s for the rubber and adhesive necessary so that a person could order the stuff individually and maybe a write-up in the knowledge center on how to get the best results or a kit with everything necessary and instructions in one convenient package for a few dollars more.
Personally, I'd buy the kit just so I'd know I'd have everything I needed and exactly what I needed.
Either way, I'm just looking for a way to replace some window scrapers without resorting to combing the junkyards hoping to find a set that's in a little better shape than what I've got and might last a year or two before they fall apart.

A.J.
06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
In your poll you should also ask if the person voting for the kit or for the part #'s would actually purchase the kit or not. It's easy to say that the kit is a good idea but if in reality only four people purchase it, it would be a waste to develop.

A.J.

Chris W
06-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't see much of a incentive in investing in the parts and pieces to create most kits only because some of the community tends to have the "lets copy it and do it ourselves" type mentality, even if it costs them more in the end. Unfortunately, this limits the amount of new products vendors will offer to the public and they will invest their R&D funds into other markets or more difficult to copy products instead.

Case in point: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=59

Chris-TU

Tony Hanna
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
It's a shame it's like that Chris because if something like that was available, it would be worth it to me (and I would imagine several others) to buy a kit instead of having to fool with sourcing the materials.
Still, it might be something an individual or a "minor" vendor could tackle on an as-needed basis to make a few bucks.
If not, I guess I'll try to tackle it myself and hopefully learn something along the way that will help somebody else out.:)

GLHS592
06-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't see much of a incentive in investing in the parts and pieces to create most kits only because some of the community tends to have the "lets copy it and do it ourselves" type mentality, even if it costs them more in the end. Unfortunately, this limits the amount of new products vendors will offer to the public and they will invest their R&D funds into other markets or more difficult to copy products instead.

Chris, I don't think difficult to manufacture restoration parts fit the same bill. Anybody can make a hose with fittings on each end. I don't think too many of us have the capability to manufacture injection molded rubber parts.

I, for one, would be willing to pay what it's worth for rubber door seals.

sdac guy
06-10-2008, 07:48 PM

On a side note, another possible source to have some of this stuff made would be Steele Rubber Products. http://166.82.96.3/homeframes.html I can't recall the guys name right now, but a couple years ago an SDAC member did contact Steele about door seals or window scrapers. We had a mention in Up Front that he was trying to get them done. Anyhow it all fell through because Steele turned him down, they weren't interested.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Case in point: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=59

Chris-TU

This is a DIY community, but there are many in the community that would rather pay to have a proffessional do a nicer job than their DIY job might turn out. Also, many are working hard at their day jobs to fund their hobby so for those with little spare time, paying for a finished product is a more viable option to many.

We need more resto parts! Is Greg Thews in the hizzie?

Chris W
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Chris, I don't think difficult to manufacture restoration parts fit the same bill. Anybody can make a hose with fittings on each end. I don't think too many of us have the capability to manufacture injection molded rubber parts.

I, for one, would be willing to pay what it's worth for rubber door seals.

Kevin, I was refering more to what Tony said about a repair kit that could be assembled using off the shelf parts. Creating new injection molded rubber parts would not be cost effective. As Barry mentioned major manufacturers are not interested in low quantity runs. And IF you can find a company that is willing to reproduce them for you there will be many complaints here on the cost.

Chris-TU

johnl
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
IF a vendor found a manufacturer that would do a small run, the vendor would have to pay for the set up/tooling up front, and would have to do that with pre-orders (or be certain of minimum expected sales) and there would be no real guaranty on the quality, and then, if the quality was poor, all the pre-order folks would rightly complain.

Tough problem.

Tony Hanna
06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
...And IF you can find a company that is willing to reproduce them for you there will be many complaints here on the cost.

Chris-TU

What you have to keep in mind Chris is that for every one person that complained, there would be several of us who really appreciated having them available.

There will always be somebody that's gonna gripe no matter what. Heck, you could probably give away free turbos and somebody would complain because they didn't get a free 3" swingvalve to go with it.:p
Tony

Chris W
06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
What you have to keep in mind Chris is that for every one person that complained, there would be several of us who really appreciated having them available.

There will always be somebody that's gonna gripe no matter what. Heck, you could probably give away free turbos and somebody would complain because they didn't get a free 3" swingvalve to go with it.:p
Tony

Now you are catching on:thumb: Do you still want to be a vendor? LOL!

It's a thankless job at times and you really have to love these cars to continue doing it :-) Keep me informed with your progress and if we can help in anyway to make it happen we will.

Chris-TU

Tony Hanna
06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Now you are catching on:thumb: Do you still want to be a vendor? LOL!

It's a thankless job at times and you really have to love these cars to continue doing it :-) Keep me informed with your progress and if we can help in anyway to make it happen we will.

Chris-TU

Never did! I procrastinate way to much to even try to be a vendor and have way too low of a tolerance for BS. I worked a little bit of retail right out of high school and that was enough for me. I've got nothing but respect for people with the patience to do it.:thumb:

What I was getting at with my earlier post is that if nobody is interested in selling a repair kit, when I get ready to attempt to fix mine, I'll post where I get the materials and maybe a how-to if they turn out good. That way at least people will have an option besides the junkyard.

If on the other hand somebody manages to get them reproduced or starts selling a repair kit, I'll be first in line with cash in hand.:)

badandy
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM

A.J.
"I don't think anybody here is foolish enough to expect FWDP or TU to tool up to actually manufacture the parts themselves"

...and then

"Apparently somebody does"?

Hey A.J.? BITE ME!:mad:

I didn't attack or discredit anyone...nor am I foolish...and if you would like some proof of that I can be sure to supply you with enough credentials to discredit your insinuation. I simply would like to see our vendors work together instead of bicker and take shots at one another...or whatever is going on.

My point wasn't necessarily just concentrated on window scrapers....but that something like this might be possible with a combined effort...and I never said anything about either vendor tooling up or manufacturing the parts themselves! DUH! most of what all of our vendors sell are products someone else makes:confused:

It's pure specualtion and conjecture until it's tried and proven not doable.

If 10 years ago someone asked the community for a 100% brand new cast header I'm sure they would have been told the same thing I'm being told now. 'too expensive to produce" "it will never happen" "can't make any money"

Shall I go on?

badandy
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Case in point: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=59Chris-TU

Not trying to bicker here...but seriously...

Maybe someone didn't have the money to afford your kit? I know that over the years I've bought two kits off of you Chris...one for Whitey and one for my CSX-T...and I know countless people that have the same kit so those came from either you or FWD.

I can see your point if someone copied your stuff and then mass produced it and sold it dirt cheap thereby you lose total profit of that product.

Your kit is nice...that alternative is inferior although still better than stock. Maybe you should look into the lower cost alternative if you believe it is going to cause you profit loss?

Tony Hanna
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Good pizza!:thumb:

OMNI-Potent
06-11-2008, 01:11 PM
This is a DIY community, but there are many in the community that would rather pay to have a proffessional do a nicer job than their DIY job might turn out. Also, many are working hard at their day jobs to fund their hobby so for those with little spare time, paying for a finished product is a more viable option to many.

We need more resto parts! Is Greg Thews in the hizzie?

Alright, I was trying to stay out of the thread, nice job JT! LOL

We are focusing on restoration parts. I think, in the next product launch we have in a week for SDAC, it will show you guys that we are going in that direction. You guys are going to be very surprised, let's put it that way.

Without saying what we are planning, working on, or doing (since we do not pre-sell items). I'm listening to every word you guys are saying in this thread. I've been a firm believer in making sure these cars look good! I respect all of our other vendors for having the parts to make us go fast, get our suspensions back together, get decals, etc. And I have a new level of respect for them as I have had a crash course in the effort required to get a project off the ground. It's trying, difficult and requires a lot of persistence as outside vendors don't want to run small jobs (especially molded rubber products).

I know that we are not as fast at getting products out as we would like. However, our plan is to be here for a long time and we're investing in new products as the budget allows.

Remember, this wouldn't even be a discussion point a year or two ago. :eyebrows: How awesome is that?

MiniMopar
06-11-2008, 01:48 PM
That's great news. Like I said, what I think is required to get it off the ground is knowing someone who can do some serious research to find a close match for the simple rubber parts we need. Just flipping through JC Whitney makes me wish I had some sort of real catalog from these manufacturers showing cross sections and so forth.

For example, the door and gutter gaskets were the same for just about every TM. I'm sure it's common with some other "more important" car that someone else actually cares about. That means we should be able to buy it in bulk instead of all kinked-up in a box from Mopar for 20x the price. The trick is being able to see what is available.

The window guides/seals are a bit more of a trick, since the corners have to be miter jointed and so forth but I suspect the right raw materials are probably already available somewhere. The scrapers seem more custom with varying amounts of rubber covering the metal trim, but I suspect the important part...the fuzzy scraper bit...is available in some form or another and something workable could be done.

There are the serious resto folks that will be looking for NOS or exact replicas. Then there is the rest of us that just want to stay dry when it rains, want to roll the windows up and down without the getting jammed, and don't like having our arms scraped up on the jagged window scraper cracks.

I'm in the 2nd group.

Tony Hanna
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM

We are focusing on restoration parts. I think, in the next product launch we have in a week for SDAC, it will show you guys that we are going in that direction. You guys are going to be very surprised, let's put it that way.

Without saying what we are planning, working on, or doing (since we do not pre-sell items). I'm listening to every word you guys are saying in this thread. I've been a firm believer in making sure these cars look good! I respect all of our other vendors for having the parts to make us go fast, get our suspensions back together, get decals, etc. And I have a new level of respect for them as I have had a crash course in the effort required to get a project off the ground. It's trying, difficult and requires a lot of persistence as outside vendors don't want to run small jobs (especially molded rubber products).

I know that we are not as fast at getting products out as we would like. However, our plan is to be here for a long time and we're investing in new products as the budget allows.

Remember, this wouldn't even be a discussion point a year or two ago. :eyebrows: How awesome is that?

Nice!
I'm really glad to see somebody focusing on the restoration end of things. As time goes on, alot of these parts are going to be harder and harder to find used in decent condition and the demand for restoration parts is going to go way up.

It'll be awhile before I finish up the mechanical end of things and start on appearance. Hopefully by then you'll have some of the stuff I need.:)

Tony Hanna
06-11-2008, 01:55 PM
...There are the serious resto folks that will be looking for NOS or exact replicas. Then there is the rest of us that just want to stay dry when it rains, want to roll the windows up and down without the getting jammed, and don't like having our arms scraped up on the jagged window scraper cracks...

Not to mention trying to keep the bottoms of our doors from rotting out.:)

Chris W
06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Not trying to bicker here...but seriously...

Maybe someone didn't have the money to afford your kit? I know that over the years I've bought two kits off of you Chris...one for Whitey and one for my CSX-T...and I know countless people that have the same kit so those came from either you or FWD.

I can see your point if someone copied your stuff and then mass produced it and sold it dirt cheap thereby you lose total profit of that product.

Your kit is nice...that alternative is inferior although still better than stock. Maybe you should look into the lower cost alternative if you believe it is going to cause you profit loss?

Not everyone has access to the shops that assemble those lines so we don't believe it has hurt our sales too much. Besides, the cost difference of retail to make those lines compared to our discounted pricing for BS versions may not be that much and I think most people would probably go for the more durable lines. I only brought it up because it was a current example of the topic being discussed. What got to us the most on that one was the author originally used the photo off the TU website in his article to explain how to do-it-yourself. Our photo has since been removed and replaced with his own photos.

It's just discouraging for us as a dedicated vendor when we invest our time and money to bring something new and innovative to the market only to have someone else come up with lower quality options before we can break even. This effects the community more then they will ever know. TU has plenty of new products and ideas we could bring to the market, but, what incentive do we have if there is no guarantee of a return on our investment?

About 10 years ago we started offering Shelby Dodge convention videos to the community. One indivdual felt that since he purchased the video from us it was okay to copy and resell them on the mailing lists. When it was brought up several members thought it was okay for him to do that.:confused: :banghead: Needless to say, that was the last convention video we made for distribution.

Chris-TU

BIGBRUDDA
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
2 years ago I made a personal appearance at Soft-Seal. When redoing my car.
It's located on Cincys west side. I was pleading the case. Even tried to get a look at "general stock" for "close , or resonable facimilies".
The jerk all but laughed in my face!:mad: Then gave me a lecture!:confused2:
It seems these repro companies are run by Bluehaired 57 Chebby fans.:leghump: I almost pulled down his Poodle skirt for a good spankin!:whip:
Bottom line ,we're not really "classic" cars .:( Like the 5 million Mustangs or Camaros. Currently infesting the market.

BadAssPerformance
06-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Did I say that? :D

Very awesome :)

Chris W
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I think Omni-potent is filling a very much needed niche' in this market.:clap: While Greg mainly focuses on the restoration part TU prefers to stick to performance items. With so many items to focus on there is no need to overlap our efforts. We direct customers his way at every opportunity.:thumb: Tony, I think Greg is the right person to tackle these resto products because it's more in line with what he sells.

Chris-TU

Tony Hanna
06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I think Omni-potent is filling a very much needed niche' in this market.:clap: While Greg mainly focuses on the restoration part TU prefers to stick to performance items. With so many items to focus on there is no need to overlap our efforts. We direct customers his way at every opportunity.:thumb: Tony, I think Greg is the right person to tackle these resto products because it's more in line with what he sells.

Chris-TU

I was initially under the impression that Omni-potent was only dealing with l-body specific parts. I'm glad to see I was wrong.:thumb:

OMNI-Potent
06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I was initially under the impression that Omni-potent was only dealing with l-body specific parts. I'm glad to see I was wrong.:thumb:

Although you would have no way of knowing that... LOL! We haven't done a very good job of offering items for other bodies. We really wanted to get our feet wet and see if there was a market....there is.

We actually are working on a few G body items now....that's all I'm saying...as we will not promise something and not deliver.

Tony Hanna
06-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Although you would have no way of knowing that... LOL! We haven't done a very good job of offering items for other bodies. We really wanted to get our feet wet and see if there was a market....there is.

We actually are working on a few G body items now....that's all I'm saying...as we will not promise something and not deliver.

Well, I saw the p-body headlight adjuster kit anyhow. It's a start.:thumb:

supercrackerbox
06-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't forget the fact that extremely old and worn scrapers will scratch the crap out of the door glass. The windows on my Daytona are all sparkly now.

Tony Hanna
06-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Not to mention what bad inside scrapers will do to window tint.:mad:

raccoon
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
whats the proper name for these things? we've been calling them window scrapers is that proper?

Also anyone know the name of process used in making them?

cordes
06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I have always called them window felts. I don't know that this is the proper term either though.

88_pacifica
06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
look up what it's called on a different mfgr's car(Phord, Chebby, etc). I'd bet it's all called the same thing...

bgbmxer
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
ever go to a dealer and ask for window scrapers for a charger i can still get them at my dealer how many sets you want. i forget what the guy called them but there outer window seals i think they sell the outside ones but not the inside ones

1984rampage
06-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Arent they NS1?

supercrackerbox
06-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Nah, there's still a few sets out there. Got new ones for the Charger in Feburary.

chilort
06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I can get felts and door seals for my '68 Sweptline but not my '86 Daytona!!

88_pacifica
06-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I can get felts and door seals for my '68 Sweptline but not my '86 Daytona!!

That's becuse the Sweptline is a collectible... ;) :thumb:

GLHSHELBY
06-24-2008, 09:07 PM

This is the 1st I`ve heard of your company just now.Glad to see someone is working on this.I`ll definately keep checking back to see what`s available for the G bodies since I have 2 now and plan to buy 1 more in the future.

SpiritedShelbys
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I think they could get away with just re-popping the rubber piece. It's bonded and stapled to the aluminum strip but I don't see any reason it can't be removed and replaced.