PDA

View Full Version : tranny shock

turzbo
06-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi, not too long ago, I did a 5 speed conversion on my 91 Shadow, drove it around for 2 months without the bobble strut hooked up and I recently welded the tabs onto the K frame, got it installed, now I am wondering if there is anyway to adjust for pre-load, or do you just tighten the top nut down as tight as you can? I plan on making a bobble strut out of threaded rod and pipe at a later date
Any help or ideas would be great

cordes
06-04-2008, 11:34 PM
On a stock bobble strut I don't think that there is anything you can do to preload it with the exception of putting something os a smaller dia over the piston so that it will be driven into the body of the strut and compress a little (or none at all depending on what you are using)

turzbo
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
using the car as a dd but i want it to be as stable as possible already have polly mounts from turbos unleashed so as a stable dd would i want to tighten as much as possible to eliminate any movement with the stock setup and also when a make one out of pile and threded rod how do u adjust it u wouldent crank it down would just have to drive it and adjust untill it feels right. right ?

cordes
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
You would have to have a double nut and washer on the bottom of the bracket to adjust the height, and then the nut and washer on the top of the bracket to hold it all down.

MiniMopar
06-05-2008, 12:33 AM
You just torque it down. There's no spring in it...it's just a dampener. Nothing to preload unless you want your dash to vibrate.

turzbo
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
torqued the original as much as i could or so i thought and still makes the dash vibrate so i should technically torque it down more?

cordes
06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
torqued the original as much as i could or so i thought and still makes the dash vibrate so i should technically torque it down more?

Your vibrations should not be caused by the stock bobble strut. As Russ mentioned, it is just a damper. Over torquing it will just make it harder to get off.

turzbo
06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
never vibrated untill a week ago when i welded the braket on the k frame and hooked it up and got more vibrations when i hooked my buddys strut up in my car (stock as well)

overlordsshadow
06-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Did u get the tabs in the right spot? Did u put the bobble in and let it hang down loose and put the tabs up beside it?

MiniMopar
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Where is the strut in terms of it's travel? Ideally, it should have half of the shaft sticking out of the tube when the drivetrain is not moving. I don't remember what the stock ones were like in those terms as I am using a Neon strut on both my cars. The Neon strut was a little longer if memory serves.