PDA

View Full Version : 89 CSX Wiring Harness Restoration

DC Turismo
06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone have pictures of engine bay wiring harnesses you may have redone? I am in the beginning stages of redoing my 89 CSX wiring harness, and from talking to fellow chapter member Dan Franzetta, I'm opting to use black friction tape, purple power/simple green all the wires individually with q-tips to ensure all dirt is removed.

I will post a before picture next time I am at the garage and update this thread with ongoing pictures showing my progress.

I do have two questions however:

Should I reuse the plastic loom that conceals the wires of the harness, or buy new? The plastic covering on the harness is not cracked or brittle by any means, but I figured I would ask those of you who have done this before which route should be preferred.

Also, for the factory vacuum line setups that lie between the intake and the head, of course with any TM the lines are hardened after nearly 20 years of being inside a hot engine bay, and the factory connectors are not too pretty. What should be done in this case to make for the perfect resto? (Pictures to follow to show what I exactly mean, but most probably know what this vacuum harness looks like).

moparfwdsleeper
06-07-2008, 12:04 PM
emission hard line tubing(autozone) and a heat source(like when using heat shrink). The heat will allow the tubing to bend and you can they get it just right:). I'd replace the loom, it may not look it now, but once you put new tape(friction or hockey) im sure its age will start to show alittle better.

DC Turismo
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice Clayton! :)

moparfwdsleeper
06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Anytime Billy. I can't wait to see her finished:nod:

DC Turismo
06-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Anytime Billy. I can't wait to see her finished:nod:

I can't wait to see her finally under way let alone finished! :lol:

moparfwdsleeper
06-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I can't wait to see her finally under way let alone finished! :lol:

:pI want to see mine done first LOL

DC Turismo
06-09-2008, 01:21 AM
There we go, contest time! Why don't you make it up to SDAC and we'll talk all about it there?!

moparfwdsleeper
06-09-2008, 01:29 AM
There we go, contest time! Why don't you make it up to SDAC and we'll talk all about it there?!

Cant afford it this year, even had to cancel my time off to go to Carlsile(sp?).

You'll have yours done before I will. My wife and I made a deal, I can't fully work on the CSX til we pay her car off, like 2.5yrs:yuck:. I'll be at an event, just not this go around. Im hoping there we be lots of pics during the event like there was last year(kept me entertained:p)

Turbo224
06-09-2008, 03:45 AM
I have done the wiring harness resto on both my recent projects. Dont use friction tape, the problem with it is that both sides are sort of sticky, but neither side is really sticky. It makes it hard to get a good tight wrap around a lot of places. The other problem is since the outside of the tape will be sort of sticky, it will collect dirt and crap quickly.

I like hockey tape a lot better because it is much stickier, and it is very easy to wrap things tightly with. The down side is that because it is so sticky, pulling it back apart will be very difficult.

SoCalCSX
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
For those little vacuum lines between the head and intake I'm using 1/8" DOT airline. It's strong, flexible, and has a high psi burst rate. Best of all it's like $8 for 50ft.
http://suicidedoors.com/50ftof18DOTReinforcedAirLine.php

Anyone have pictures of engine bay wiring harnesses you may have redone? I am in the beginning stages of redoing my 89 CSX wiring harness, and from talking to fellow chapter member Dan Franzetta, I'm opting to use black friction tape, purple power/simple green all the wires individually with q-tips to ensure all dirt is removed.

I will post a before picture next time I am at the garage and update this thread with ongoing pictures showing my progress.

I do have two questions however:

Should I reuse the plastic loom that conceals the wires of the harness, or buy new? The plastic covering on the harness is not cracked or brittle by any means, but I figured I would ask those of you who have done this before which route should be preferred.

Also, for the factory vacuum line setups that lie between the intake and the head, of course with any TM the lines are hardened after nearly 20 years of being inside a hot engine bay, and the factory connectors are not too pretty. What should be done in this case to make for the perfect resto? (Pictures to follow to show what I exactly mean, but most probably know what this vacuum harness looks like).

WickedShelby88
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
That and you can get those cool anodized quick release fittings for air line as well. We have some of that stuff where I work for pneumatic devices we manufacture and assemble.

SoCalCSX
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
That and you can get those cool anodized quick release fittings for air line as well. We have some of that stuff where I work for pneumatic devices we manufacture and assemble.

Yup, PTC (push to connect) fittings are the shiznit! That's what I used on my boost gauge.

overboostmotorsports
06-11-2008, 01:53 PM
i would use the correct cloth tape from 3m (home depot near me carries it) it is a little more expensive but it will hold up correctly and not fade like friction or hockey tape, will be more impervious to under hood temps/chemicals. as for replacing the looms they may not look aged but get them next to brand new stuff and you will see the difference plus if you are takingg the time to clean the wires/connectors and you are taking them off to clean it is just as easy to put on new. you will be much happier with the results.

Norm

DC Turismo
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks again for the advice then guys. So you're saying to not use friction tape but to use a cloth tape? I already bought three rolls of friction tape though. What specifically about friction tape makes it different from a 3M cloth tape? Aren't both the same material?

Turbo224
06-13-2008, 01:44 AM
What specifically about friction tape makes it different from a 3M cloth tape? Aren't both the same material?

I have done the wiring harness resto on both my recent projects. Dont use friction tape, the problem with it is that both sides are sort of sticky, but neither side is really sticky. It makes it hard to get a good tight wrap around a lot of places. The other problem is since the outside of the tape will be sort of sticky, it will collect dirt and crap quickly.

I like hockey tape a lot better because it is much stickier, and it is very easy to wrap things tightly with. The down side is that because it is so sticky, pulling it back apart will be very difficult.

Didnt you read this? :confused2:

DC Turismo
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah... but besides the stickiness, did you prefer how the hockey tape looked in the engine bay or anything else? That's all I was asking........ Since I already have friction tape, I was just considering slapping a small piece of electric tape on the ends if it comes undone.

Turbo224
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah... but besides the stickiness, did you prefer how the hockey tape looked in the engine bay or anything else? That's all I was asking........ Since I already have friction tape, I was just considering slapping a small piece of electric tape on the ends if it comes undone.

The Friction tape looks okay as far as color and texture, but overall stood out because I couldn't get it to wrap tightly. I think the hockey tape looks better in color and texture, looks a tad closer to stock, and wraps much tighter. This is only based on my oppinion, your results may vary. If you already have th friction tape, give it a try and see how you like it.

I did the same thing you did. I bought like three rolls of friction tape and then decided I hated it.

DC Turismo
06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Tyler. I'll pick up some hockey tape and compare the two before I get too far ahead of myself.

Turbodave
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I used friction tape that I got from the local ACE hardware when I did the haness on my GLH-T. I was really happy with the results. I had the harness out of the car at the time, but it wrapped tightly and still looks good years later.

DC Turismo
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Dave

That's where I got my friction tape too and the harness is out of the car. Good to hear you had good results! I will most likely go with this route since I already have everything.

TurbododgePirate
06-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Hockey tape is CHEAP at Dicks Sporting Goods.

DC Turismo
06-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Cool, thanks Heath. I'll check it out next time I'm at the mall.

neongary
09-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I've used this stuff from Eastwood Co. with good results.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1391&itemType=PRODUCT
Granted, it's not as cheap as hockey tape.....