PDA

View Full Version : CV going out, junk yard vs rebuilt?

johnl
06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
OK. The Ramerati. Driver's side CV is going out. 520 trans.

I know that the axle diameter is up from the 525s and I think I know that the 520 axles are smaller diameter than is used in a 568.

So, axles from what cars should I look for at the yard?

Or, is there a particular rebuild that I should use?

ljbprrfmof
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Why do the work twice? I would go with the reman. You will have much less of a chance to tear it back down for the same repair.

We use NAPA in our shop with good results. And my parts manager said they are usually half the cost of a comparable mopar reman.

tryingbe
06-03-2008, 10:59 AM
You can only use 88-90 AUTOMATIC omni axle. That's the case for ALL L-body using A520, A555, A523, or A568...

Now, you can either use two driver sides axle with 87+ intermediate shaft or just both driver side and passenger side axle as-is. I recommend the latter.

Why do the work twice? I would go with the reman. You will have much less of a chance to tear it back down for the same repair.

We use NAPA in our shop with good results. And my parts manager said they are usually half the cost of a comparable mopar reman.

In my experience, the two Napa axles I got have their boot torns in less than 7 months of usage, at the TRANSMISSION side. The rubber boot is super thin at some area. Free warranty replacement every time, but it's still a hassle and a mess of axle grease.

I grabbed myself 4 newer looking axles for ... $80 total, I believe...

ATaylorRacing
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I am not going to knock the NAPA axles because I don't know them. I do know that around here the local dealerships use NAPA parts if they can't get one through the system or if someone wants to get going and not wait on parts.

The guys at http://omnipotentparts.com put some Advance Auto Parts ones in old Matchbox and they looked very beefy compared to the "lifetime warrantied" ones that were pulled out. Those "L.W." ones....I broke three in two days on my old turbo car...they kept giving me replacements and would not give money back....so at 200,000 I put them on Matchbox. For the turbo car I put in Mopar rebuilt ones for 89-90 Omni and had no troubles even when running in the 11s on nitrous.

moparzrule
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I've never seen a reman take the abuse of 300+ WHP. Autozone has lifetime warranties, but expect to use it.....alot.
Junkyard FTW. As long as the boot isn't torn, and it's not tight or too loose when you bend the joint back and forth, it's a good axle and better than any reman. I'm running a junkyard axle right now, and need to go get another one for the other side now because the boot has a hole in it and it's whipping grease everywhere.

johnl
06-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys. Only the 89 90 Omni auto axles? Is the length the problem if it comes from different models, G or P bodies for example?

BadAssPerformance
06-05-2008, 02:09 AM
yes... 89-90 omni is the big spline needed for A520/555/523/568

L-bodies = short length
A,E,G,H,J,K,P-bodies = medium length
S-body (minivan) = long length

EDIT: There are a few re-build shops around here that will re-build axles for about the same price as aftermarket ones. The aftermarket ones typically come with a warranty but they are make from junk componets sometimes, or you could get lucky and get re-maned OEM stuff... auto parts store axles have become a crapshoot.

If you want to spend some money... the hole grail of axles, www.driveshaftshop.com :thumb:

moparzrule
06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Holy crap their prices have sky rocketed. Just a year or 2 ago those axles were $400. Now $700? Wow!

tryingbe
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. Only the 89 90 Omni auto axles? Is the length the problem if it comes from different models, G or P bodies for example?

You need to read again.

You can only use 88-90 AUTOMATIC omni axle. That's the case for ALL L-body using A520, A555, A523, or A568...

Turbodave
06-05-2008, 01:57 PM
A good reference is if you are at the J-yard, and you see a fuel injected Omni the axle will work for you. 88 was also the first year of fuel injection on the N/A Omni's.

johnl
06-06-2008, 10:30 PM
OK, it's done. Also had a ball joint issue; the thing went out in less than 500 miles but that mileage did include a track day and I did "press" it with a BFH. So in doing it again, paid to have it pressed in. Moog.

MiniMopar
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I've bought two sets of Moog ball joints and one set of Moog tie rod ends. All failed within a year or less. The tie rods ends were so bad I could barely drive sometimes. The 20 year old original ones were only a little bit loose. The new ones were downright unsafe.

I put the expensive NAPA joints in (Spicer?) and a year of daily driving later the ball joints are good and stiff still (can't move them at all with my hand). Just put the new tie rod ends in and I am not worried about them either. They are twice the size of the Moog ones.

Spend the dough and get the good ones.

tryingbe
06-07-2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.rockauto.com/ have good price on Spicer Professional ball joint and tie rod.

johnl
06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Ah heck! It was one of those, get it back and running and buy this c**p again deals. I knew it too. I asked the parts guy what was better and he had no clue.

Spicer. Spicer. Spicer. Spicer. Spicer. Spicer. Spicer. Spicer.

There, now I might remember it.:confused2:

tryingbe
06-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Now, remember the below...

Professional. Professional. Professional. Professional. Professional. Professional. Professional. Professional.

Spicer have two kind, you have to get the high quality professional kind to get the good one.

badandy
06-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I am not going to knock the NAPA axles because I don't know them. I do know that around here the local dealerships use NAPA parts if they can't get one through the system or if someone wants to get going and not wait on parts.

The guys at http://omnipotentparts.com put some Advance Auto Parts ones in old Matchbox and they looked very beefy compared to the "lifetime warrantied" ones that were pulled out. Those "L.W." ones....I broke three in two days on my old turbo car...they kept giving me replacements and would not give money back....so at 200,000 I put them on Matchbox. For the turbo car I put in Mopar rebuilt ones for 89-90 Omni and had no troubles even when running in the 11s on nitrous.
I work for Advance and the axles you speak of are the brand new axles. You are right, the look great...but one of them let loose under Whitey at SDAC13. I'm not sure if it was heat treating or a one time fluke. I'd go with them again in a heartbeat.

tryingbe
06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Any part numbers for those new axles?