PDA

View Full Version : A670 front pump ?

WickedShelby88
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Well the A670 in my van has the typical hydraulic whine that most of them I hear have. Someone told me the front pump is going out, but my friends van made the same noise since they got it years ago and mine has been making it for 2 years.. Go figure. Now I was thinking since the A413 from a turbo car is supposed to share the same guts can use the front pump from an 89 A413 even though its non lockup, or are they different? I guess I may have to get a 91 and newer 413 if I have to for a core or find an A670 with lower miles. I don't think that my trans is actually failing because it goes into gear find and doesn't slip and the torque converter still locks up fine, but just in case I figured I would ask so I know what parts I have to work with.

thanks, Joseph

Speedeuphoria
06-02-2008, 12:42 PM
well I'm not positive on the a670, as far as the a413 goes the pump can be swapped between years, well at least if its '87+ AFAIK. The pump is the same for lock up or not so thats interchangeable. So I dont see any issues with what your saying.

turbovanmanČ
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
87 and up, all 3 speeds are the same and I believe the 4 speed is the same too but don't quote me on that one.

If the pump is whining, its rarely the pump, most times, its the pressure relief valve sticking and if that is ok, then its the TC going-this will turn the oil to a black charbroiled colour and it stinks-but can be delayed. Mine whined for about a month then the oil went black, ACK.

Dodge Aries K
06-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Finding another A670 is easy. Look for a 92-95 Spirit or Acclaim base model with the V6 or a 92-95 LeBaron sedan without the landau top... alot of those had the three speed as well.

WickedShelby88
06-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Pressure relief valve is in the valve body right? Its been a while since I had one of these apart. If the pump is the same good. I should have most of the guts I need from a lower mile 89 A413 from a turbo car. Only makes the noise under light load at moving speed at idle or when I load the trans at a standstill no noise. Any guesses? Someone has got to know about the noise I'm talking about? Almost every a670 in a first gen van I've ever heard made this noise.

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Its in the valve body, rememeber you turn it up to firm up the shifts, ;)

WickedShelby88
06-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Okay thats the one then.. Easy enough to fool with. It shifts fine right now.. I wonder how long I can put that off. ATF +4 isn't cheap around here and I am broke as it is of course I can imagine if the tranny has a bad day things will be that much worse. A little off topic, but will an SRT4 or similar style shifter work with a 568 in a shadow?

Cliff Ramsdell
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Joe,
The whine could be a few things. First, when dose it whine? All gears, reverse only? How is the shifting?

The pressure regulator valve and shift valve can cause this problem but a clogged filter is the number 1 problem and cause which could be from a failure such as the lockup convertor and a clutch pack going away.

Try a fluid and filter change and use dexron 3 since it's a more cost effective fluid to ATF+4 which is really only required in '99 and newer Mopar transmissions.

Cliff Ramsdell
The Transmission Authority
For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
Mopartek@aol.com
http://www.members.aol.com/mopartek/home.html
www.Mopartek.com

Well the A670 in my van has the typical hydraulic whine that most of them I hear have. Someone told me the front pump is going out, but my friends van made the same noise since they got it years ago and mine has been making it for 2 years.. Go figure. Now I was thinking since the A413 from a turbo car is supposed to share the same guts can use the front pump from an 89 A413 even though its non lockup, or are they different? I guess I may have to get a 91 and newer 413 if I have to for a core or find an A670 with lower miles. I don't think that my trans is actually failing because it goes into gear find and doesn't slip and the torque converter still locks up fine, but just in case I figured I would ask so I know what parts I have to work with.

thanks, Joseph

turbovanmanČ
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
When you take the pan off, get a reusable gasket and install a drain plug, that way, you can save most of the fluid if you need to change or check things, :thumb:

WickedShelby88
06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Doh! I had already changed the fluid and filter. The whine or noise has been present since we got the van over 2 years ago. Guess I will go with Dexron then. Its a different pitch as like a hydraulic pump noise so I guess it could be the pump or too high of pressure. When its cold it shift harder in the gears. The 1-2 shift is kinda soft with no slip, but the 2-3 is too quick and sometimes too soon
and seems too firm even at lighter throttle pressure. Its harder to tell since I'm thinking the front mount is toast. Also ever since I got the van its made a bearing noise similar to a hub bearing that needs replaced only when I turn left under torque otherwise it doesn't make it. The light the load on the trans and it doesn't make the noise. only does it in forward gears from what I can tell.
I didn't think changing the fluid alone would make the noise go away. It shifted great there for a while, but developed a fluid leak that I never did get a chance to look at much. I thought it was an axle seal, but ended up being the pan gasket itself so I feel dumb for not having fixed it when I noticed it although it was during the winter so I opted to keep it full of fluid. Hasn't really shifted the same since which is why I'm thinking no matter what I will probably need to tear it down or send it to someone who knows what to look for in terms of what actually needs replaced.
I've had them apart before and I can take pretty much anything apart and put it together with a manual but as we all know there is no substitute for experience so I figure I should just sit this one out because the van is our main vehicle right now.