PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Valve cover gaskets...

440trk
03-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Ok, my 3.0 (91 Daytona 5spd) has developed a pair of QUITE leaky valve cover gaskets. I've got a new set of gaskets (w/cam seals) on the way...should be here tomorrow or so. Anything special I need to know about installing the cam plugs/seals? Can I pull the rear valve cover off without messing with the Alternator (doesn't look like it....).

Any tips from the seasoned 3.0 Veterans would be mucho appreciated. :)

Thanks!
Mike (440trk)

Boogieman142
03-08-2006, 04:42 AM
when i did mine, i don't believe that i had to remove the alternator, but that was a while ago too.

Ondonti
03-08-2006, 05:19 AM
alternator needs to go. Its not hard. Its only 2 bolts and the serp belt. Takes like 5 minutes with the right tools.

93sundance
03-08-2006, 10:46 AM
The end plugs seem to be picky. You have to install them just right so they don't leak. A repair manual tells you exactly how far in they are supposed to be.

440trk
03-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Ondonti - Yeah, I kinda figured that the Alt. had to go... just getting to the valve cover bolt under the Alt. is a pain. Never hurts to ask those who have done it though...I'd rather ask for advice, than learn the hard way. :peace:

93Sundance - Care to elaborate? I was thumbing through my 91 Factory Service Manual, and all it mentioned was using tool MD998306 (basically a big seal/bearing driver would work). No depth was mentioned for installation.

Ondonti
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Ondonti - Yeah, I kinda figured that the Alt. had to go... just getting to the valve cover bolt under the Alt. is a pain. Never hurts to ask those who have done it though...I'd rather ask for advice, than learn the hard way. :peace:

93Sundance - Care to elaborate? I was thumbing through my 91 Factory Service Manual, and all it mentioned was using tool MD998306 (basically a big seal/bearing driver would work). No depth was mentioned for installation. Make sure not to push it in too far. That seems to be one of the main problems with the cam seals leaking.

On my junkyard motor I was able to cure my valve cover gasket problem by tightening down all the valve cover bolts. For some reason they were all loose so I could push on the valve cover and make it move down.

440trk
03-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Well, after further investigation of my oil leak....The good news is, the inside of the valvecovers/engine looked quite clean! The bad news is, I've found that while the valve covers were leaking a wee bit....my oil leak is the front crank seal. It's now leaking quite a bit too. :yuck:

Soo...it looks like I'll be spending my Friday night/Saturday pulling all the accessories, timing cover, timing belt, etc... off. Not quite what I had in mind for one of our first "nice weather" weekends.... Anyone have a general timeframe of what it "should" take me to get this done? Any tips or tricks ya care to share, are more than welcome.

I have to order the front main/oil pump seal tomorrow, and I may as well put a new timing belt on while I'm in there (current one still in good shape....so now I'll have a spare.). Anything else I should be replacing while I'm in there? The Water pump was already replaced (before I got the car) ...probably 15k miles ago.

:(

Ondonti
03-10-2006, 09:56 PM
change the bearings for kicks and giggles. ;)

dodgeshadowchik
03-10-2006, 10:25 PM
also, i found that an anaerobic sealer on the edges of the "hockey pucks" or end plugs. install it and after it sits for about 10 minutes put a little bit of rtv on the edges. also, replace the pcv valve while you're at it.

440trk
03-11-2006, 01:37 AM
change the bearings for kicks and giggles. ;)

LOL... I'm not QUITE that gung ho on preventative maintenance...:p

Although...I AM going to rebuild the oil pump while I'm there , and I grabbed a set of cam seals(sprocket side) "just in case" I find they're leaking while I'm tearing into it all.

Wish me luck... :fencing:

440trk
03-11-2006, 01:43 AM
also, i found that an anaerobic sealer on the edges of the "hockey pucks" or end plugs. install it and after it sits for about 10 minutes put a little bit of rtv on the edges. also, replace the pcv valve while you're at it.

:thumb: I've got some Grey RTV sitting right next to the cam plugs... (I haven't done the plugs yet...)

Thanks!
Mike(440trk)

Avenger
03-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I was messing with my old Duster motor last night, and I couldn't get the rear cover off with the alt in place. But I did get the rear cover on my old Spirit off with the alt on back when I still owned it! Maybe there was a change in the accessory bracket between 93 and 94 or something?